FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Video tutorial for absolute newbies: How to Root + Upgrade + and load Custom ROM

99 posts
Thanks Meter: 112

Post Reply Email Thread
Hey everyone I decided to make an in depth video tutorial so that no matter which version of Android you're running you can follow along until you reach the part of loading a custom ROM (in this case zdzihu's final Cyanogenmod 7).

This was made so that even the biggest noob can follow along this video tutorial if you're stuck with the X10 due to a contract why not get the most out of it?

Q: Have a an error? Got stuck?
A: Please use XDA search since I didn't do any of the developing!

Q: Why start from Android 2.1 and show every single step until finally flashing the custom ROM?
A: This was done intentionally so that no matter what version of Android you're on, if you find the video part that is like running the same version of Android as your X10 then you can follow along from there.

Q: Doesn't it seem a bit too long? I've seen shorter videos.
A: Again, this was done intentionally so that even if someone is currently on Android 1.6 or 2.1 they can follow along. I want to show people how to backup apps before losing eveything, its pretty annoying otherwise.

Q: Why bother showing every step?
A: My g/f and two friends are stuck with the X10 until their contracts allows them to hardware upgrade until next summer, I want to help other people get the most out of their phone. I don't care about donations, if this helps one person out I'm happy with that. It sucks paying tons of money for a device that is laggy and be stuck with it for years. XDA members have helped me many times, I just wanted to contribute back somehow, the more people share knowledge for free, then the world slowly becomes a better place.

In part 1:
-How to backup contacts (like I said, for newbies )
-How to install a driver for the computer
-How to root
-How to backup apps
-How to upgrade to the official Sony Gingerbread

In part 2:
-How to root Official Sony Gingerbread
-Downloading XRecovery
-Installing the Android SDK
-Installing Xrecovery
-Downloading xRecovery update
-Downloading Cyanogenmod 7 files

In part 3:
-Download Cyanogenmod 7
-Restoring apps via root method

I take no credit for any of the rooting methods, or making the cusom ROMs, this is simply a video tutorial, all necessary links are in the Youtube video description.
The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to clozecall For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clozecall Ad-Free

16th October 2011, 10:16 PM |#2  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Nice work mate...
The Following User Says Thank You to pficrx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pficrx Ad-Free
17th October 2011, 06:13 AM |#3  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 364

Donate to Me
More
Apply for sticky, so many people ask these questions, yet you're probably the first to take initiative to make an ultimate Q&A

Thanks for this and I am sure that it would reduce A LOT of clutter.

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk
17th October 2011, 06:49 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
nice tutorial mate
17th October 2011, 04:37 PM |#5  

More
Nice tutorial!
Thanks!
17th October 2011, 11:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for the tutorial
18th October 2011, 06:42 AM |#7  

More
Hi. Very nice work! I have a question though. My phone is already running on 2.3.3. Do I disregard the first root of the phone using superoneclick? Or do I have to flash the 2.1 version and start from there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Reminin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Reminin Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 10:34 AM |#8  
Flag Minas Tirith
Thanks Meter: 238

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminin

Hi. Very nice work! I have a question though. My phone is already running on 2.3.3. Do I disregard the first root of the phone using superoneclick?

YES! you don't have to downgrade to 2.1!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanzo.Hasashi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hanzo.Hasashi Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 05:49 PM |#9  

More
its works for me , thanks
19th October 2011, 08:39 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Wow that's so much easy to follow! I have just one question.. ( i am a noob) ok I was able to get GB ported through my phone when the rollout for GB was happening so it was a flash upgrade no root.. I have app to sd card installed and moved everything i could over to sd card for the apps that i couldn't move over is there anyway to get them backed up? or do i have to flash back to 2.1 and do this process from the very beginning?
19th October 2011, 12:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
thanxx for this fantastic topic!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)