FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Epic GB kernel sources! (11/22/11 EI22 keyfix kernel)

470 posts
Thanks Meter: 834

By mkasick, Retired Recognized Developer on 18th October 2011, 01:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
11/22/11 Update: Added "reboot bml8 recovery" patch for ROM Manager suppport.

11/8/11 Update: Updated keyfix kernel with the EI22 initramfs. Also, Samsung has placed the previous official (and now labeled EI22) source tarball on their opensource site.

10/24/11 Update: It appears that Samsung has removed the "official" Epic GB source tarball from their website. I've mirrored it for anyone interested in the original release. For anyone actually looking to build with the sources, you're probably better off using Rodderik's GitHub

10/19/11 Update: As everyone's found out by now, Samsung released official Epic GB sources last night. There's not that many changes to our device in the official source tree compared to the previous, but a few appear to be subtlely important (see abbreviated deltas). It still needs some work to get into a buildable state, but it does appear to work great on EH17!

I've updated most of my patches for GB, conveniently packaged together. I've also uploaded a new EH17 kernel that works on stock (rfs) EH17 ROMs and includes the keyboard fixes with optimized values, along with userdebug and kexec support. Feel free to give it a try.

Meanwhile Rodderik is updating his GitHub repo to include all these patches for folks to clone from, stay tuned.

Happy hacking!

So apparently when Samsung released the kernel sources to the Mesmerize's Gingerbread update a month-and-a-half ago, that source tree contained almost-buildable kernel sources for our device as well.

I've patched the sources (removed modemctl definition, added tfsr driver, compile right camera driver) to build for the Epic. I've also built a custom EH17 kernel combining these sources with the EH17 initramfs. It's essentially stock EH17 with ro.debugging=1, adbd always-spawning during recovery, and testkey signature verification. I'll get to porting over some other patches (like the dropped key fix) soon.

As for compatibility with EH17, the source tree itself appears to have been checked out on 8/30 and looks to include everything EH17 does. I ran "strings Image | sort -u" on both kernels to make sure there weren't any obvious strings/symbol differences between them. The ones that remain appear to be minor, but legitimate fixes.

Thanks to jt1134 & Rodderik for pointing out that the Mesmerize source released contained Epic code, and Tortel & ugothakd for testing.

GitHub repo, thanks Rodderik!

To build:

Grab SCH-I500_USCC_Opensource_Update3.zip SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip from opensource.samsung.com, extract.
Run "make mrproper" to get rid of atlas (Mesmerize) config junk.
Patch to complete Epic support.
Build with EH17 initramfs as usual, use victory_8G_defconfig for kernel configuration.

Mirror links:
Official GB sources: SPH-D700_GB_Opensource.zip (originally posted on opensource.samsung.com, since removed.)
Epic GB source patches: kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar.gz
Source-compiled, keyboard fix EI22 kernel: kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5
(URLs for Mesmerize tree patches removed, although they're still valid.)
Attached Files
File Type: tar kernel-GB-3a-patches.tar - [Click for QR Code] (70.0 KB, 1799 views)
File Type: tar kernel-GB-3a.tar - [Click for QR Code] (4.95 MB, 5023 views)
The Following 147 Users Say Thank You to mkasick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkasick Ad-Free

18th October 2011, 01:44 AM |#2  
Flag SouthEast USA
Thanks Meter: 1,839

Donate to Me
More
Flashed this yesterday(11/13). Working good so far.

Edit: Oh, and first! Sorry iSaint

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zanderman112 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zanderman112 Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:44 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
HAHAHAHA! Epic. I love you guys!
18th October 2011, 01:46 AM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Van Nuys, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,190

More
Yeah, um, I love you. <3 lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to AproSamurai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AproSamurai Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:47 AM |#5  
O 'Fallon, MO
Thanks Meter: 408

More
No. I was first. I tested it lol

[edit] actually, tortel was first. but that was before i got on board.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ugothakd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ugothakd Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:53 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 292

More
Hmmmm...who would of known part of our kernel source was right under our noses

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
18th October 2011, 01:55 AM |#7  
Flag Van Nuys, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,190

More
It just occurred to me that, with this finding a lot of good can happen, as well as ICS tomorrow. Depending on timezone I should say.
The Following User Says Thank You to AproSamurai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AproSamurai Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:58 AM |#8  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 7,494

Donate to Me
More
Sweet. Hopefully this'll help cm7
The Following User Says Thank You to xboxfanj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xboxfanj Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:58 AM |#9  
Flag Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Meter: 400

More
Heart just stopped beating LOL!
What about stratosphere then?
Oh well nice work!

Sent from my SPH-D700
The Following User Says Thank You to ac16313 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ac16313 Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 01:59 AM |#10  
Flag Burlington, VT
Thanks Meter: 18

More
winning

bet samsung was just watching and waiting to see how long it took one of you/us to figure it out, lol.
18th October 2011, 02:03 AM |#11  
Flag P-Town
Thanks Meter: 234

More
this is wonderful news
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)