FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[INFO] Information Regarding MR OTA for LOS issue (Updated 10/27/11)

499 posts
Thanks Meter: 924

By neverends, Senior Member on 21st October 2011, 06:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
After hours on the phone with Sprint and being transferred to multiple departments, I received a call back today explaining the following:

Samsung has delivered the MR with the LOS update for Sprint. SPRINT WILL NOT BE PUSHING THIS MR OUT UNTIL MID TO LATE DECEMBER POSSIBLY JANUARY.

Please keep in mind this information did not come from a customer service rep or a sprint store rep.

Sent from my LOS 4G Touch

********************UPDATE*********************
*******************10/27/2011*******************

Just wanted to post an update...

Since the original post I have exchanged my E4GT for a new one... I have had the new phone for several days now and although I have not had any LOS issues (specifically circle with line through it) I have lost several calls (Message with "Call Lost)

Spoke to the escalation managers boss and this is what I was told...

-The MR is still in testing at Sprint and the absolute earliest release date will be in December.
- The update will address LOS issue, maintaining wifi connections, and something about refreshing 3g/4g after losing signal (my phone was breaking up and missed some words here and there)
- They are also aware of some minor bugs ie phone dialing wrong people in certain cases and some resource leaks???? (not sure what he was talking about gain) assuming it has to do with battery drain... but there is no guaranteed that the issues will be addressed in the MR and that it may be addressed in the next version of the OS (I'm assuming ICS)

He went on to explain that the service in my area (Southern California) will get worse before it gets better. He said old towers are being replaced with new multi-band towers in the area which means at any given time we will have less towers in service till the upgrades are completed.

Now take everything with a grain of salt... I know that this is not concrete information but the guy is one out of a million at sprint who seems to actually know what he is talking about.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to neverends For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neverends Ad-Free
21st October 2011, 06:32 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 335

More
It's time for either EVERYBODY PANIC or SPECULATE WILDLY.

I'll start with the wild speculation:

It's because that's the ICS update and they can't roll that out before the the Galaxy Nexus release due to some sort of exclusivity agreement with Google and Verizon (and maybe Sprint)...

SOMEONE LEAK SOMETHING ALREADY PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LEAK SOMETHING.

Okay, NOW EVERYBODY PANIC
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daneurysm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daneurysm Ad-Free
21st October 2011, 06:34 PM |#3  
Flag Shenandoah Junction WV
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneurysm

Okay, NOW EVERYBODY PANIC

lol

10 char
21st October 2011, 06:34 PM |#4  
Flag Hagerstown Md
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Wonder what it'll break on phones like mine that never had any issues to begin with lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to poppygt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poppygt Ad-Free
21st October 2011, 06:34 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag South Bay

More
daneurysm,

Actually in passing the person who contacted me explained that although SGSII will receive ICS it will not be till May or June and that the MR will be separate from ICS
21st October 2011, 06:39 PM |#6  
Flag Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Thanks Meter: 945

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppygt

Wonder what it'll break on phones like mine that never had any issues to begin with lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Ive been thinking the same thing the last couple weeks lol
Im going to take pass on it for a couple week after release
21st October 2011, 06:39 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverends

daneurysm,

Actually in passing the person who contacted me explained that although SGSII will receive ICS it will not be till May or June and that the MR will be separate from ICS

To be honest that seems like a reasonable time frame. For me? No...but from a major carrier, yes. I mean reasonable as in "reasonable to expect." I, personally, find it downright insulting since working (if alpha/beta) builds of it almost certainly exist.

All snarkyness aside, thanks for the heads up.
21st October 2011, 06:40 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 341

More
Sounds like the author is making this stuff up.

Did you forget to mention the important information about ICS release in the OP, OP?

I call BS.
21st October 2011, 06:43 PM |#9  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 2,802

More
Who cares? We have XDA for stuff like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _MetalHead_ Ad-Free
21st October 2011, 06:46 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag South Bay

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbed

Sounds like the author is making this stuff up.

Did you forget to mention the important information about ICS release in the OP, OP?

I call BS.

My call was not to Sprint to get ICS it was a call to get out of my contract in regards to LOS. The person that responded to me gave me solid information about the LOS MR. He had information about the MR and the rest was speculative. I posted the facts and omitted the speculation in my OP.

Call BS if you like... When you have to wait till the end of the year to get an LOS fix from Sprint just remember you were warned.
21st October 2011, 06:49 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag South Bay

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_

Who cares? We have XDA for stuff like this.

That is what I hope for as well... However we don't have the actual E4GT Kernel yet. Thus far I had 0 LOS prior to root - about 50 instances of LOS after root - and only 5 LOS after restoring to stock thanks to ACS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)