FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] Solution For SD Card Not Detected in PC Issues

60 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi All,

This is with reference to all those who have been reporting SD Card not being detected after multiple WP7 trials on their HD2.

As mentioned in the list of phones supported (That detect the card, ) Nokia are the best as per my trials.

I too tried sandisk class4 8GB and Sandisk Classs 2 8GB for WP7.
Both times when I was trying to move forward towards 7720, either the update failed or communcation got disrupted making my phone go to recovery console.

Here are the stpes to recover the card whatever happens.

Note: Nokia 5233 (Mobile I used to recover my card) Provides hotswap support for microsd card

1. For safer operation, select Storage memory and click remove card (In 5233 Menu)
2. Remove existing card, and insert the WP7 Bricked SDCard
3. It will show 'Type password to Unlock the card'
4. Cancel that and go to File Explorer and select the card and say Open.
5. After it opens, From the options menu, select 'Card Options>Format Card', Dont select unlock or anything, its not required.
6. If its Class 2 card it will take around 40 seconds to format (8GB).
7. If its Class 4 card it will take around 8 seconds to format (8GB).
Now close file explorer, and open file explorer again to check the card size.
Click Remove card and remove the card.

No need of partition manager,Linux, zero fill formatting, killdisk etc which is real headache.

All it needs is a Friend (Who has Nokia mobile that supports microsdcard).

24th October 2011, 07:13 PM |#2  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 142

More
They can also be rescued usin the devstorage_lock.cab run it from inside WP7 before hard resetting or powering down and you'll be able to use the SD card elsewhere and reformat it.
24th October 2011, 08:01 PM |#3  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I'm sorry but I think it depends on the cards.

I have a Sandisk 32Gb Class 4 (and for being faster than my real Sandisk 8Gb Class 4, I confirm it's not a fake, it is an original Sandisk).

I tried everything (KillDisk (on Windows & Linux), Formatter, WinMo6.5, WP7, Nokia E63, Nokia E71, N8...various partition tools. All PC softwares have been tested with both SD adapater and USB adaptater.

Nothing can repair my card.

Concerning the StorageCardunlock.cab, the card enable to start WP7 Mango, but when you go to About, there is no more memory than the internal one, that's meen that when you try to install StoragecardUnlock.cab, the CabSender says "Not enough memory' or something like that...

So I think, by reading all what we can read on XDA: 2, 4 and 8 Gb seem to be reparable, which is more difficult with bigger capacity
24th October 2011, 08:08 PM |#4  
Flag Seattle

More
With bricked SD card in device:

1. Turn the device on
2. Wait for Magldr screen to boot WPH
3. When 12345 GO! GO! GO! starts appearing, press and hold vol up/down until grey screen comes up. Press vol down twice to initiate a hard reset.
4. WP7 will reset and capture the SD card in the process. Confirm this in Settings > About
5. If devstorage_lock is not installed... install it now and run it.
6. Initiate a hard reset from Settings > About
7. If your device is set to automatically boot into WP7, then press and hold the power button when the first splash screen appears - to stay in Magldr. From here, WP7 still thinks it's resetting and will capture the next SD card inserted. Or, you can flash the device with a different ROM. If you're going back to stock, then power down and enter the tri-color screen. If you're going android, then use the USB flasher option.

The ONLY thing that will keep you from unlocking the SD card is if WP7 has already captured it and won't refuses to let you boot again. Even then, reflashing WP7 should solve that problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to anseio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anseio Ad-Free
25th October 2011, 12:09 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 489

More
Thank you Anselo,

I've saved your post in my bookmarks. This will certainly come in handy when I recover my 8 GB kingston later on.

On a side note, Mango on the HD2 is awesome. So much more fluid than Android ever was!

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anseio

1. Turn the device on
3. When 12345 GO! GO! GO! starts appearing, press and hold vol up/down until grey screen comes up. Press vol down twice to initiate a hard reset.
4. WP7 will reset and capture the SD card in the process. Confirm this in Settings > About
7. If your device is set to automatically boot into WP7, then press and hold the power button when the first splash screen appears - to stay in Magldr. From here, WP7 still thinks it's resetting and will capture the next SD card inserted. Or, you can flash the device with a different ROM. If you're going back to stock, then power down and enter the tri-color screen. If you're going android, then use the USB flasher option.

The ONLY thing that will keep you from unlocking the SD card is if WP7 has already captured it and won't refuses to let you boot again. Even then, reflashing WP7 should solve that problem.

25th October 2011, 01:16 AM |#6  
Flag Seattle

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf

Thank you Anselo,

I've saved your post in my bookmarks. This will certainly come in handy when I recover my 8 GB kingston later on.

On a side note, Mango on the HD2 is awesome. So much more fluid than Android ever was!

Cheers.

You're very welcome. I thought that I had bricked a brand new 16GB c2 SD card until I reflashed over. Oh, but that was so time consuming. Then, I was taught about the 1234 hard reset. Total life saver. I bricked my 2 cards so many times while trying to partition for dual boot. This fix got me through every time.
25th October 2011, 08:02 PM |#7  
Flag Lyon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by anseio

1. Turn the device on

I'm sorry, I've got a Class 4 Sandisk 32Gb, I've just tried it, the problem still remains. The card enables the smartphone to run, but when I go to About, I've got:
"Total storage: 52.84 MB
Available storage: 32.21 MB"

The StorageLock tells me:
"The storage card is currently unlocked. Do you want to lock it?"
It's strange, normally it is the opposite the first time. Nevermind, I click "Yes" and the device tells me "Failed toggling card lock"
I i initiate a hard reste from About, nothing changes, I still have the same memory.

Maybe I have a special brick, hoping somebody find a day a solution.
25th October 2011, 08:29 PM |#8  
Flag Seattle

More
And can you ser the card on your computer? I've read in another thread that people have had problems with the SanDisk 16c4. WP7 is so picky.

Sent from my HD2 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
25th October 2011, 08:44 PM |#9  
Flag Lyon

More
In fact, The computer cannot see the card.
But all the softwares can see it quicky when you remove it from computer...
25th October 2011, 08:50 PM |#10  
Flag Seattle

More
How about booting into Ubuntu to see it?

Sent from my HD2 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
25th October 2011, 08:56 PM |#11  
Flag Lyon

More
Is it the solution with the CD with KillDisk? If yes, cannot find the card.
If it isn't that, can you explain?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)