FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] What does 'freezing' an app exactly mean?

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By stbi, Member on 24th October 2011, 10:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

what does it mean technically if an app is "freezed"? Is the APK moved to another location, or are the unix access rights altered, or is a reference to the app deleted from some kind of "registry" of the Android system, or what else? Can it be done manually by a file manager?

Thanks,
Stefan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stbi Ad-Free

24th October 2011, 10:16 PM |#2  
Flag Vandling, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,138

More
It can be done using the purchased version of Titanium Backup and probably a few other apps. It basically renders the app inactive without uninstalling it. Helpful for bloatware that runs in the background but you can't decide if you want to delete it or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to lowandbehold For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lowandbehold Ad-Free
24th October 2011, 10:26 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Question Thanks, but this was not my question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandbehold

It can be done using the purchased version of Titanium Backup and probably a few other apps. It basically renders the app inactive without uninstalling it. Helpful for bloatware that runs in the background but you can't decide if you want to delete it or not.

Yes, I know, but what does it do exactly on file system level? Doesn't anybody know?
24th October 2011, 10:45 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbi

Yes, I know, but what does it do exactly on file system level? Doesn't anybody know?

Most freezing apps simply rename the app to be frozen with an extension, like in the case of Bloat Freezer (IMHO the best one) the frozen app gets a .bzw extension. It remains in place but of course cannot be executed. The nice part is that if you run into an issue you can just rename the app back to what it was (assuming that you have root).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docfreed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift docfreed Ad-Free
24th October 2011, 11:01 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Thumbs up It works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreed

Most freezing apps simply rename the app to be frozen with an extension, like in the case of Bloat Freezer (IMHO the best one) the frozen app gets a .bzw extension. It remains in place but of course cannot be executed. The nice part is that if you run into an issue you can just rename the app back to what it was (assuming that you have root).

Cool, so simple - thanks! So it can be done with any file manager.

I've just successfully frozen the preinstalled "LGWorld.apk" by renaming it to "LGWorld.apk.bak". As soon as I had done this, a message popped up, saying "Deinstalled", and the icon disappeared from the app drawer, and also the update for "LG World" vanished from the Market app.
25th October 2011, 12:22 AM |#6  
Flag Penang
Thanks Meter: 1,759

More
Hmm.. freezing doesn't mean rename. It is being remove from system. If.you rename yourself, the apps may failed to work.

Accidentally sent from my Google Nexus S using XDA Premium
25th October 2011, 01:27 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 263

Donate to Me
More
Freezing the app works via decreasing the temperature of the app to roughly 50 Kelvin. At this point the the app's molecular structure becomes a super condensed crystal lattice. Due to the nature of the crystal lattice, android treats the super dense app as non existent. Essentially the app is deleted from your system completely. However, think of it not as a permanent deletion but rather a reversible one. Should you chose to 'restore' the app, you can defrost the app. You could defrost the app using a microwave but I for one use TB Pro as it does a far better job.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lambstone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lambstone Ad-Free
7th November 2011, 02:34 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 441

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone

Freezing the app works via decreasing the temperature of the app to roughly 50 Kelvin. At this point the the app's molecular structure becomes a super condensed crystal lattice. Due to the nature of the crystal lattice, android treats the super dense app as non existent.

Haha smart ass.
30th January 2013, 03:28 AM |#9  
Boracay Island Paradise
Thanks Meter: 530

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone

Freezing the app works via decreasing the temperature of the app to roughly 50 Kelvin. At this point the the app's molecular structure becomes a super condensed crystal lattice. Due to the nature of the crystal lattice, android treats the super dense app as non existent. Essentially the app is deleted from your system completely. However, think of it not as a permanent deletion but rather a reversible one. Should you chose to 'restore' the app, you can defrost the app. You could defrost the app using a microwave but I for one use TB Pro as it does a far better job.

ha ha ha! that was hilarious man
30th January 2013, 07:13 AM |#10  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Press THANKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbi

Hi,

what does it mean technically if an app is "freezed"? Is the APK moved to another location, or are the unix access rights altered, or is a reference to the app deleted from some kind of "registry" of the Android system, or what else? Can it be done manually by a file manager?

Thanks,
Stefan

Press thanks if I helped
Source - How TO Geek
Manufacturers and carriers often load Android phones with their own apps. If you don’t use them, they just clutter your system and sometimes in the background, draining resources. Take control of your device and stop the bloatware.

We’ll be focusing on disabling – also known as “freezing” bloatware here. It’s a safer process than uninstalling the bloatware completely, and is also easier to accomplish with free apps.

Uninstalling vs. Freezing
Uninstalling an app is exactly what it sounds like – the app is entirely removed from your device. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to get many of these preinstalled apps from the Play Store if you ever need them again. Uninstalling some preinstalled apps may result in problems or instability, so you could run into problems.

It’s safer to “freeze” apps instead of uninstalling them. A frozen app is disabled completely – it won’t appear in your app drawer and it won’t automatically start in the background. A frozen app cannot run in any way until you “unfreeze” it. Freezing and unfreezing are instant processes, so it’s easy to undo your changes if you end up freezing a necessary app.

If you really must uninstall apps, you should freeze them first and wait a few days to ensure that your phone or tablet works properly without them.

You can’t uninstall or freeze preinstalled bloatware apps without root access and third-party app managers. Try and you’ll find the options grayed out in the standard Android interface.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PreetSaluja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PreetSaluja Ad-Free
28th September 2013, 03:23 AM |#11  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klacenas

ha ha ha! that was hilarious man

I understand and have frozen quite a few apps with TB Pro. My issue is there are shine pre-installed apps that I like to use, but when I run the task killer, they're always running. Is there a way I can fix them where they don't keep starting immediately after killing them, but still having them available when I want to use them?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)