FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Read this before posting. MT4G Slide Compendium

394 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By Droidmoder, Senior Member on 26th October 2011, 05:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Almost Complete Compendium for MT4G Slide (Read This before Posting)

Note as of 12/22/2011 the ota update is not rootable (H boot 1.45.0013)
and s-off cannot be obtained. If you updated with s-off it is possible to revert back. Reference thread

Also, people who used HTC unlock and have s-on will have trouble flashing roms that are not gingerbread based.

Table Of Contents
1. XDA Lingo
2. MT4G Slide Specs.
3. S-Off, Root, Recovery, Backup, Unroot
4. ROMS, Kernels, Fixes, Mods
5. Network (Unlocking, Backtrack)
6. Apps
7. Development Section
8. Credits

Section One

READ FIRST
READ SECOND
READ THIRD

This is really helpful if a person is new to the forums. Some Lingo, Jargon!!

S-Off: This term is used when describing the security radio. With S-on only signed ROMs may be flashed, when S-off unsigned ROMs may be flashed IE custom ROMs.

Root: This means the user will have unrestricted full access to almost the entire system stack. Another way of describing it would be, having administrator rights on a windows computer

Custom Rom: This stands for “read only Memory”. With Android OS, a custom rom allows you to change things that were un-changeable.

Hybrid ROM: When referring to the MT4G Slide. This ROM contains both HTC Sense and AOSP Theme.

(Unlocked)Bootloader: Loads the core operating system. Unlocked bootloader means users can modify what files the bootloader opens.

H-Boot: Hitting power+volume down after a power down or restart brings up the H-boot (skating androids). This is used to get into recovery and can also be used to flash files using the proper file name.

Fastboot: Fastboot is the name of a tool used to manipulate the flash partitions of the Android developer phone. It can also boot the phone using a kernel image or root filesystem image which reside on the host machine rather than in the phone flash

Zipalign: Is an archive alignment tool. The benefit of zipalign is a reduction in the amount of RAM consumed when running the application.

A.O.S.P "Android Open Source Project": Pure google source untouced by carriers and phone manufacturers.

SDK ADK: “Software Development Kit”” Android Development kit” A suite of tools that helps developers create software for the Android OS.

ADB: “Android Debug Bridge” Allows a user to control and interface with the Android OS.

SBF
: System binary file. “I sbfed back to stock” Meaning, I reverted my phone back to stock using a system binary file with a stock image.

Kernel: This is the center of the computer operating system. It provides basic services to the other parts of the system.

Overclock: Forcing the processor to increase its clock rate (therefore more cycles per second). Normally used to get better performance.

Underclock: Reducing the processor clock rate (less cycles per second). This is used to get battery performance and increase processor life.

Undervolt: Lowering the voltage while still maintaining clock rate. This is used to help save power and heat reduction.

Frosted/Defrost: A term used when freezing (frosted) an application or unfreezing (defrost).

Bloatware/Debloat: The many useless applications that carriers add onto the stock os (bloatware). Debloat means that the bloatware has been removed.

Master Subsidy Lock (MSL): Many phones are sold below cost, (at a loss to the carrier,) with the expectation that the money will be recouped in the cost of the monthly service plan. The up-front loss that is later recouped is called a Subsidy.For this to work financially for the carrier, the user must not buy the phone and then use it with a different carrier.The carriers slap on a MSL so the user cannot switch service providers.The term "unlock" means to get the MSL code to free the phone from the carriers lock.

Section Two

MT4G Slide Specs.

Phone specs:
Phone Scoop
T-Mobile
HTC
Snapdragon

"Best Still Image shooter" according to PC World
T.V Out

Section Three

S-Off, Root, Recovery, BackUp.

S-Off and Root
How to find out S-On or S-Off / Booting Into Hboot

Radio - Necessary to recover botched radio install Stock Radio Another Stock Radio Thread

S-OFF for Retail (S-ON) Devices, NOTE ADDED 8/17/11
Revolutionary's site also has the root zip that is needed. Does this give me root?
Boot into H-boot, then recovery, use camera button and select "install zip from sd card". When zip is done reboot phone, check superuser.

PERMANENT-ROOT (NEW!) & Temp-Root (v2) for any MT4GS (Windows) Great Guide with very good information!

Recovery

[RECOVERY] Official CWM Recovery v5.0.2.7
Thanks Undeadk9 for install guide.
Also, if using an older ROM version of Sense On Crack, Senseless, Virtrous, etc both the system and data need to be mounted.

ROM Manager is also supported for flashing CWM Recovery. Simply download ROM manager, click flash recovery at the top. Then select our phone. Follow the directions.

Directions:
1. Make Sure Your On a WiFi connection.
2. Go here: http://www.clockworkmod.com
Go to recoveries, Download v5.0.2.7 recovery for doubleshot
3. Download Term Emulator
4. Using root explorer, move the recovery image to /data/local, then mount System r/w in root explorer, then press the home button.
5. Then open Term emulator and this....
su
dd if=/data/local/recovery-clockworkmod-5.0.2.7-doubleshot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21
Press ENTER
6. It should say transferring bytes blah blah
7. Open ROM manager and press reboot into recovery.
8. If it says v5.0.2.7 then You are done.

ClockworkMod Recovery 4.0.0.9 for the T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide (MoDaCo edition)

*Older Version*

I took out the terminal emulator post in the thread which is how I upgraded my recovery. The words and numbers must be exact.
here is the OP Thanks

1. Download Recovery 4.0.0.9 from Modaco's website
2. Using Root Explorer, find the file in your downloads folder on the sdcard.
3. Paste the recovery img file into your phone's /data/local folder.
4. In terminal emulator, first type "su" and then type "'dd if=/data/local/doubleshot.clockworkmod.4.0.0.9.modaco.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21" and let it transfer the recovery file.

Re-Cap How To Turn S-Off, Install MoDaCo Clockworkmod Recovery, and Install a Rom For Dummie

Backup (Read and Re-Read this section)

Backups - After Rooting, before ROMing, take this step

Unroot

For The What Ifs

Section Four
Roms!Roms!Roms

Difference between full rom and patch

Basic Installation of a NEW ROM

1. MAKE NANDROID BACKUP OF STOCK ROM
2. REBOOT INTO RECOVERY
3. WIPE DATA AND CACHE
4. FORMAT DATA
5. FORMAT SYSTEM
6. WIPE BATTERY STATS "OPTIONAL BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED"
7. WIPE DALVIK CACHE
8. INSTALL ROM
9. REBOOT
10*. LET PHONE SET FOR 5-7 MINUTES.(see below)

*The system is still building symlinks and installing things behind the scenes on first boot of a fresh installation. If you choose to play with it before the 5 minute mark, you risk losing data that has yet to be written. This can lead to buggy performance and issues the DEVS will have a hard time figuring out.

For patches
Backup
1. Wipe cache
2. Wipe davik
3. Flash Patch
4.Reboot

Stock Roms

12/Aug 1.28.531.9 r1 - HTC Doubleshot Stock ROM Rooted and decodexed
Pure Stock Doubleshot, Root/Deodex/Busybox/Opt/Zip

Ice Cream Sandwhich

[ROM][Jan 5 2012] Pyr-o-Ice ICS 0.3.0 alpha (Android 4.0.1) |Camera(photo)|FaceUnlock

Android Open Source Project (AOSP) Roms

CM7

Sense Roms

Virtrous
Crack Injected Sense
BulletProof
Touch 4G Slide DoubleShot Lite

*These Roms Have active Developer support. If I missed a ROM please message or post and I will fix.

Kernels

BoneStock Kernel
Unity V2
Kanged

Fixes, Mods

GPS Fix
Safe Bloatware Removal
Turn off system update for good
*Data Connectivity Fix
*Clutter Cleanup

*indicates stock ROM safe

Section Five
Networking(Unlock,Backtrack)

Unlock:Use method one
Another Way to Unlock the MSL
Backtrack (offensive network secruity)

Section Six
Apps

Good App suggestions and reviews

Section Seven
Development Section

This section is intended for DEVS and beginner DEVS. If you have a question ask before doing something.

MT4GS Stock App Developers Reference

Partions - memory address listing

ADB,SDK,JDK
Fastboot.Exe is in the attachments incase you did not get it. Put the .Exe in platform-tools folder.

Blue61x's Guide to setting up a fresh Dev Computer XP

ADB Workshop by Adrynalyne and Guide by Captainkrtek
Understanding Basic ADB Commands
Dev guide to adb

Key Mapping

Genius button to search
Hardware Key mapping and Flashable zips and requests

LockRing Editing

[How-To] Custom Sense Lockring on the MT4GS - easy step-by-step.Part 1
[How-To] Edit .9.png files for the MT4GS - step-by-step.Part 2
[How-To] Edit Mode10 Files for the MT4GS - step-by-step. Part 3

Tools and Dowloads

MR.Root by XMC Wildchild22 Great scripts!!!
SuperOneClick Root

Section Eight
Credits

I am adding more sections, more links and more information as well as some more jargon.
Pm's welcome for mistakes, more information, etc. ( I am human).

Thanks Blue6IX,Very involved with the creation of this compendium
I thank all the Devs, Mods,end users, supporters and noobs for helping me compile this information. I take no credit for this as it's an orangized Hub for all of our information.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (79.0 KB, 59 views)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Droidmoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidmoder Ad-Free

26th October 2011, 05:44 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Change Log: 11/02/2011 Added New CWM Recovery, CM7, Mods and Fixes section. Changed name of Unlocking section to networking. Added backtrack.

11/06/2011: Added new terminology.Updated and split the ROM section into aosp and sense roms. Added another way to obtain an unlock code. Added development Section.

11/11/2011: Added new terminology. Added new section to ROM: Hybrid. Added Doubleshot Lite to ROM section. Moved Key mapping section to dev. section. Added ADB section to dev. section. Edits.

11/22/2011: Added new terminology. Added Rom Manager is now supported for flashing CWM. Minor Edits.

12/21/2011: Updated Dev. Section and added fastboot.exe to attachments

1/05/12 : Added ICS Rom section, Added tools and download section, Added Blue's guide and XMC's root tool.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Droidmoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidmoder Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 06:07 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,144

Donate to Me
More
This should help clear up some of the oft-asked questions for people new to the device.

Droidmoder really put a lot of effort into making this happen!

Edit - How did I forget to click thanks on the OP? Dec 14th, 2011
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue6IX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blue6IX Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 06:17 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue6IX

This should help clear up some of the oft-asked questions for people new to the device.

Droidmoder really put a lot of effort into making this happen!

Blue6IX,

thanks for your help. You helped more than you think you did!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Droidmoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidmoder Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 06:59 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue6IX

The system is still building symlinks and installing things behind the scenes on first boot of a fresh installation. If you choose to play with it before the 5 minute mark, you risk losing data that has yet to be written.

The system will serve you, the user, before itself, and will drop from memory things it still needs to write to process your requests. This can result in buggy performance or problems down the line, and lead to frustrating issues that developers of the ROM can't figure out - because no one else will have these problems. Please be advised of this.

Added to step ten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droidmoder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droidmoder Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 11:11 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Very nice write up =D.
The Following User Says Thank You to ekoee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ekoee Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 01:58 PM |#7  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoee

Very nice write up =D.

Yes, thank you very much! Now the goal is to keep it up to date which will probably turn into more work than you want, but thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to unclespoon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unclespoon Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 02:20 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclespoon

Yes, thank you very much! Now the goal is to keep it up to date which will probably turn into more work than you want, but thank you!

No problem.

Sent from my Crack Injected Doubleshot using xda premium
26th October 2011, 02:48 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Great Job!

Suggestion: a section on key remapping? (there was a thread somewhere but never got completed)
The Following User Says Thank You to Etn40ff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Etn40ff Ad-Free
26th October 2011, 02:58 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etn40ff

Great Job!

Suggestion: a section on key remapping? (there was a thread somewhere but never got completed)

I'm going to add this tonight. At work. I have that thread alreay

Sent from my Crack Injected Doubleshot using xda premium
26th October 2011, 07:50 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1,144

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etn40ff

Great Job!

Two threads actually.

Original

Then I made one for requests that people want in flashable zip form:

Requests

So technically, there is no need to 'finish' the first one, and I support my request thread as time allows. It's set up so any dev can come in and handle requests, and there are a few floating around here that would be more then happy to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue6IX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Blue6IX Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)