FXP41+ Data Loss Bug Hunt (Bug Squashed)

Search This thread

GreatBigDog

Dec 15, 2009
Prince Edward Island
Bug issue has been solved as if FXP45. Thanks to all who helped track this nasty critter down.

I've been asked to start up a thread specifically for tracking down the data loss bug in FXP41,42 and 43. I'm currently one of the very few that are not suffering from this problem.

Background
The data loss issue is when your wifi or 3g status indicators still show you as being connected to the internet and Google (green indicators) but no data is transferred. A reboot of the phone will restore data for a limited period of time before the same thing occurs again. After a fresh install, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours for data loss.

For those that have the problem nothing tried so far as been able to rectify the problem for any length of time and for those of us that don't have the problem we can't duplicate it.

What needs to be done

We need to find some common denominator between the devices / users that are having this problem that is also something that none of the working devices / users don't have. If you have anything to add that you've tried to do to duplicate the problem or fix the problem please post or PM me with the details and I'll keep this OP up to date.

What been tried to duplicate problem on working devices

1. Fresh install - Nope
2. Market update / downgrade - Nope
3. Forcing sync - Nope
4. Factory data reset and login with different account - Ongoing

What's been tried to fix the problem

1. Fresh install - Nope
2. No Gapps - Nope
3. Market downgrade - Nope

What still need to be tested (suggestions please)

1. Working device/user create a different Google account and test with that.
2. Who is using 2 step verification and do they have problem or not.
3. Compare results of a clean install using the same account on a working and not working phone. (I have account setup PM me for login if you want to help test)

This should get the ball rolling, I'll add some more is a couple of hours once I get my head in gear.

Last edited:

lunarjetman1

Dec 25, 2010
I was on this rom (fxp041) for a while, it was at least two weeks before i got the data bug. I'll have another go tomorrow installing the latest version fresh. I'll experiment to see what causes it. Hopefully report back tomorrow with some report.

cheers, lunar.

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

GreatBigDog

Dec 15, 2009
Prince Edward Island
I've just done a factory data reset and setup the phone using a different gmail account that I created for this test. If I loose data then maybe it's account related.

ve6ay

Nov 20, 2010
Alberta
Well, I have tried two different google accounts, so either both of my accounts are screwed, or it isn't something tied to the Google account. However, it didn't happen to me UNTIL I installed the GApps addon package either time - first time I installed the ROM, had data no problem for about 3 hours, then was like "Whoops, wait a minute, need my Gmail / Market apps", so I installed the package and lost it. Second time, installed both, had net, did a Market download of a few apps, checked gmail, worked fine for about half an hour, then went kaput. Did the second time with a DIFFERENT google acct.

jan2jan

Dec 31, 2010
Hi,

The data bug began for me with the fxp30b release. I tested so many things to tackle that nasty bug.

Cu

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
Hi GBD,,

I have tried everything you have in the op and nothing has worked for me too, also you can rule using a new account as i have tried that too even on a fresh install.
I thought that when market updated it was that causing the issue but yesterday i froze the marketupdater app with titanium, signed in, and the problem still occurred.In fact before signing into google the phone had worked fine for several hours with no data issues.:confused:

I wonder if Crowds has found the solution here..

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18795198&postcount=13384

Maybe we do have a fix so waiting now for good news.;)

I have gone back to fxp030 for now as i need my phone for work.

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
i think its related to new Market... on ARC i have similar issues on CM7 as well as stock ROM :p

gm007

May 29, 2011
Maybe when superuser update automatically the data bug start???;)

GreatBigDog

Dec 15, 2009
Prince Edward Island
i think its related to new Market... on ARC i have similar issues on CM7 as well as stock ROM :p

Can someone test this out. Do a fresh install and as soon as you boot up and connect to your google account, manually set your time to 11:59pm and allow it to roll over to the next day.

The market should update when the roll over occurs and if it's the cause, you'll loose data at that time.

admad

Dec 27, 2010
Can someone test this out. Do a fresh install and as soon as you boot up and connect to your google account, manually set your time to 11:59pm and allow it to roll over to the next day.

The market should update when the roll over occurs and if it's the cause, you'll loose data at that time.

Did fresh install of FXP043, after first boot up connected with account, selected some Gapps to install, at that time it automatically synced. Connected to wifi to download gapps faster, after that changed time to 11:59 pm (decided to stay on edge, no wifi). 2 minutes later there was new market, and everything worked just fine. Visited some websites, changed to wifi and back. Data still working. I can't reproduce data issue...

I came from FXP030b in which data was also working for me(had few issues at the beggining first but then data was working fine)

colossus

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 28, 2009
let´s see what i sent to FXP will do:)

i had the same issues as many but after i´ve tried several mixes i was able to stay connected all the time without interruption since 21:00 yesterday till now

cheers;)
R

How you getting on bro? are you still running fxp043 without any data loss issues, if so did you manage to sort out the bt problem? ;)

cobrato

Jul 5, 2010
Maybe it's kernel related? Maybe you can try flashing fxp30's kernel over fxp43 and test?

hhill13

Jan 10, 2011
I'm running FXP43 and just encountered data loss but found a solution (at least in my case, not sure if it's 100% effective for everyone).

What I did:

- Went into Dev Tools > Bad Behavior > Crash the system server

- Screen seemed to freeze but I let it sit for a good 30+seconds to see if it would become responsive

-After no response I pulled the battery and removed my sd & sim cards for 30+seconds then replaced them

-Booted my device and data is back :D

If anyone tries this method and it helps I'd appreciate the THANKS!

maddes1402

May 11, 2011
I'm running FXP43 and just encountered data loss but found a solution (at least in my case, not sure if it's 100% effective for everyone).

What I did:

- Went into Dev Tools > Bad Behavior > Crash the system server

- Screen seemed to freeze but I let it sit for a good 30+seconds to see if it would become responsive

-After no response I pulled the battery and removed my sd & sim cards for 30+seconds then replaced them

-Booted my device and data is back :D

If anyone tries this method and it helps I'd appreciate the THANKS!

Dude, this isn´t neccesary and doesn´t solve the problem. After a reboot data is always back but disappears again after a while. There´s no need to crash the system server.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks to all who bughunted
    now data is fixed in FXP045 and in several days will be also in cm nightlies
    Bug issue has been solved as if FXP45. Thanks to all who helped track this nasty critter down.

I've been asked to start up a thread specifically for tracking down the data loss bug in FXP41,42 and 43. I'm currently one of the very few that are not suffering from this problem.

Background
    The data loss issue is when your wifi or 3g status indicators still show you as being connected to the internet and Google (green indicators) but no data is transferred. A reboot of the phone will restore data for a limited period of time before the same thing occurs again. After a fresh install, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours for data loss.

For those that have the problem nothing tried so far as been able to rectify the problem for any length of time and for those of us that don't have the problem we can't duplicate it.

What needs to be done

We need to find some common denominator between the devices / users that are having this problem that is also something that none of the working devices / users don't have. If you have anything to add that you've tried to do to duplicate the problem or fix the problem please post or PM me with the details and I'll keep this OP up to date.

What been tried to duplicate problem on working devices

1. Fresh install - Nope
    2. Market update / downgrade - Nope
    3. Forcing sync - Nope
    4. Factory data reset and login with different account - Ongoing

What's been tried to fix the problem

1. Fresh install - Nope
    2. No Gapps - Nope
    3. Market downgrade - Nope

What still need to be tested (suggestions please)

1. Working device/user create a different Google account and test with that.
    2. Who is using 2 step verification and do they have problem or not.
    3. Compare results of a clean install using the same account on a working and not working phone. (I have account setup PM me for login if you want to help test)

This should get the ball rolling, I'll add some more is a couple of hours once I get my head in gear.
    Ok guys i have just heard from J (FXP) and he is currently testing fxp044, he thinks he has found the issue that was causing data loss/connection, obviously it will need some testing but we have some positive news.:)
    OK guys, I'm uploading a backup from my phone of FXP44, it's from right after a factory data reset. I've never had the data bug and I've ran this for about 12 hours after the reset without getting the data bug.

The first 5 to PM me will, I'll give a link to download and test. Extract the folder from the zip and place in in your Clockworkmod recovery folder and then restore it from recovery. As always, make a backup first. The link will only be good for a couple of hours so don't wait to download.

If this works or doesn't, please report back.

Edit: Ok we have all the testers that we need for now. If more are needed I'll add another post.

Did fresh install of FXP043, after first boot up connected with account, selected some Gapps to install, at that time it automatically synced. Connected to wifi to download gapps faster, after that changed time to 11:59 pm (decided to stay on edge, no wifi). 2 minutes later there was new market, and everything worked just fine. Visited some websites, changed to wifi and back. Data still working. I can't reproduce data issue...

I came from FXP030b in which data was also working for me(had few issues at the beggining first but then data was working fine)