Bad news !!! Yamaha codec

Search This thread

calin75

Mar 6, 2008
Miami
I guess I came late to the party. Please explain what's wrong with it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

This is actually a long story but in short

The Galaxy S II uses Yamaha audio hardware. The Galaxy S II's predecessor, the original Galaxy S, used Wolfson's WM8994 DAC.

Galaxy SI has wolfson codec , which was open source.
Supercurio a well known developer and audio expert here in XDA was able to create good sound output using his voodoo app.

In galaxy SII samsung replaced wolfson with yamaha and this was closed source.
The sound quality for audiophiles using galaxy sII was terrible. ( not to my ears as I am a certified non-audiophile :D)
Being closed source no further development was possible.

IN the words of supercurio "
DAC Distortion
With today’s Android audio implementation, all kind of media are sent to the DAC as a 44100 / 16bit / Stereo stream. Despite the usage of a fixed rate, Yamaha’s codec is not able to provide a very clean output.

Galaxy S II DAC output quality is limited by several kind of distortions. So f
ar, no firmware was able to fix those despite early Korean updates describing “audio clarity improvements”.

When playing music, those artifacts are perceived as “lack of clarity”, “reduction of stereo separation”, “loss of detail” and “lifeless sound” (opposite of lively)."

The good news is that with new firmware releases many people have said that the sound quality of Galaxy SII is much better. So i guess its going to be better in GNote.
However we wont get Voodoo sounds improvements.

You can see the links below for more detail

http://project-voodoo.org/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053978

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate&feature=search_result

Niuseek

Jun 11, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Isn't there a chance that the kernel/software might be slightly different and will fix the issue?

Besides I've got my hand on for few minutes and I didn't pickup anything being wrong with the sound quality. However I didn't have a chance to plug in my headphones so I might be wrong.

Reactions: Crescendo Xenomorph

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
Fast answer

yamaha dac is pure crap if you listen music in headphones over 10€

GS2 + note = yamaha dac, so if you want to listen music with a little quality you need a dedicated mp3, the phone will not be suitable for that.

pachi72

Nov 18, 2008
Miami
Fast answer

yamaha dac is pure crap if you listen music in headphones over 10€

GS2 + note = yamaha dac, so if you want to listen music with a little quality you need a dedicated mp3, the phone will not be suitable for that.

I see no problem with the sound thru headphones.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

calin75

Mar 6, 2008
Miami
Honestly, supercurio must have super ears, cause i've been using my sgs2 as my primary mp3 for 6 months already and I have no complaints. But dude, thanks for ruin it for me. I won't see my sgs2 the same again. =(

Reactions: este548

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Honestly, supercurio must have super ears, cause i've been using my sgs2 as my primary mp3 for 6 months already and I have no complaints. But dude, thanks for ruin it for me. I won't see my sgs2 the same again. =(

Lol, there are no facts, only interpretations. BTW Yamaha produces great electric pianos. Don't see how this is relevant but lol, maybe it helps to restore your hardware :)

olympicchicken

Nov 28, 2007
For me the included white head set is worse than the SGS2 one (less bass) but when comparing with the SGS2 headset the sound of the Note seems better as the SGS2.

Especially the noise when scrolling lists and so on is gone for me. In combination with Poweramp as player I'm quite satisfied with the sound.

zas311

Jan 14, 2007
Isn't there a chance that the kernel/software might be slightly different and will fix the issue?

Besides I've got my hand on for few minutes and I didn't pickup anything being wrong with the sound quality. However I didn't have a chance to plug in my headphones so I might be wrong.

No need to fix if the sound is OK. Improvement/fix comes to something that is not good enough.

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
They're not that bad despite the dramatic title that this thread has

You do however need to pair it up with a good earbud/iem to get a lot out of it.

Currently i'm using phonak iems with the GS2 and it's been awesome experience so far

sauron0101

Aug 29, 2010
Ontario
Unfortunately with a good pair of full sized cans, the difference is very noticeable.

Guess I will be skipping this phone. Pity... I was looking for an XL phone. Looks like its Galaxy Nexus or something from 2012 for me.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

ph00ny

Aug 10, 2008
New York
Unfortunately with a good pair of full sized cans, the difference is very noticeable.

Guess I will be skipping this phone. Pity... I was looking for an XL phone. Looks like its Galaxy Nexus or something from 2012 for me.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

um good pair of full size will make a difference in just about any mobile device. Even a voodoo'd SGS1 won't be able to drive a quality set of cans like akg701/702 or hd800

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
A bit unrelated but I'd like to see integrated stereo speakers on such phones.
I remember some Nokia that had a quite great set of speakers turning them into a decent mini jukebox.
Use this size more Samsung!

DJKick_fr

Dec 21, 2009
For those non satisfied with the Yamaha DAC, why not investing in a high end Bluetooth headphone ?
Here you would not pass through the DAC of the Note but through the DAC of the headphone supposedly better...
I think that the note is capable of streaming audio with the Bluetooth connection.

Reactions: kersh

kersh

Oct 28, 2007
For those non satisfied with the Yamaha DAC, why not investing in a high end Bluetooth headphone ?
Here you would not pass through the DAC of the Note but through the DAC of the headphone supposedly better...
I think that the note is capable of streaming audio with the Bluetooth connection.

Because there are not high end bt headphones with quality comparable as good iems.

DJKick_fr

Dec 21, 2009
Yes there are some, for example from Sennheiser but they are not cheap.

Anyway, one that says that there are noticeable differences without a good quality headphone is really making a subjective statement, since the non linearity and signal to noise ratio on an average headset even intra ears is usually horrible.

Even the best audiophile headphones have a THD that is only 0.02% at 1 kHz (about 74 dB). This is by far worse than even the crappiest DACs (some have less than 90 dB but the best ones have >100 dB THD).

Knowing this, in the combination DAC+Heaadphone, it is really the headphone that makes the difference in sound. The DAC non idealities are orders of magnitude below the headphone non idealities.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is actually a long story but in short

The Galaxy S II uses Yamaha audio hardware. The Galaxy S II's predecessor, the original Galaxy S, used Wolfson's WM8994 DAC.

Galaxy SI has wolfson codec , which was open source.
    Supercurio a well known developer and audio expert here in XDA was able to create good sound output using his voodoo app.

In galaxy SII samsung replaced wolfson with yamaha and this was closed source.
    The sound quality for audiophiles using galaxy sII was terrible. ( not to my ears as I am a certified non-audiophile :D)
    Being closed source no further development was possible.

IN the words of supercurio "
    DAC Distortion
    With today’s Android audio implementation, all kind of media are sent to the DAC as a 44100 / 16bit / Stereo stream. Despite the usage of a fixed rate, Yamaha’s codec is not able to provide a very clean output.

Galaxy S II DAC output quality is limited by several kind of distortions. So f
    ar, no firmware was able to fix those despite early Korean updates describing “audio clarity improvements”.

When playing music, those artifacts are perceived as “lack of clarity”, “reduction of stereo separation”, “loss of detail” and “lifeless sound” (opposite of lively)."

The good news is that with new firmware releases many people have said that the sound quality of Galaxy SII is much better. So i guess its going to be better in GNote.
    However we wont get Voodoo sounds improvements.

You can see the links below for more detail

http://project-voodoo.org/

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1053978

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate&feature=search_result
    Yes there are some, for example from Sennheiser but they are not cheap.

Anyway, one that says that there are noticeable differences without a good quality headphone is really making a subjective statement, since the non linearity and signal to noise ratio on an average headset even intra ears is usually horrible.

Even the best audiophile headphones have a THD that is only 0.02% at 1 kHz (about 74 dB). This is by far worse than even the crappiest DACs (some have less than 90 dB but the best ones have >100 dB THD).

Knowing this, in the combination DAC+Heaadphone, it is really the headphone that makes the difference in sound. The DAC non idealities are orders of magnitude below the headphone non idealities.