Anyone that has the Galaxy Note also has U.S.A AT&T service ?

Search This thread

Earthbrain

Nov 30, 2008
San Diego, CA
Currently I have the U.S.A T-mobile service so when I get the Galaxy Note, I will only have Edge speed.

I am willing to switch over the AT&T for 3G service or higher internet speed but only for month to month basis since this Galaxy Note will be an unlocked phone so I will not be require to sign up in a contract.

For those in the U.S.A that has AT&T and also has just received the Galaxy Note, do you like the internet speed of AT&T ?

I have heard bad things about AT&T such as dropped call and poor signal, etc...
so I am just a little bit worry about signing up with AT&T.

My initial intention was to get the Nexus and go with Verizon but the Nexus is not as good as the Galaxy Note.

Also, which AT&T plan should I get?. I don't talk much on the phone but I do a lot of surfing on the internet. I need internet speed that is fast and reliable.

iLiberate

Mar 10, 2011
Just get the lowest minute plan and get 2GB internet. I'd get on contract, buy the Nexus or the iPhone and sell them on ebay for $700 and use that towards your note, that's what I did. I can't comment on internet speeds because I'm always on wifi.

Reactions: yuvichb

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA
Buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note. Put it on Straight Talk Mobile prepaid for $45/month which uses AT&T's network. You would have to buy a refurbed Nokia E71 phone for $99 to do it and put the sim card in the Note with some settings changes. You get unlimited talk/text/data with no contract using AT&T's 3G network.

getmouse

Sep 28, 2011
Brooklyn,NY
No Sim

Buy an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note. Put it on Straight Talk Mobile prepaid for $45/month which uses AT&T's network. You would have to buy a refurbed Nokia E71 phone for $99 to do it and put the sim card in the Note with some settings changes. You get unlimited talk/text/data with no contract using AT&T's 3G network.

I went in to a Walmart to check this straight talk out and they said they don't carry sim cards. it's like sprint.

Reactions: Techvir

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
Get the MediaNet plan which is either $10 or $15 (depending if you have messaging or not) a month for unlimited data.

waghoba

Jul 21, 2010
Currently I have the U.S.A T-mobile service so when I get the Galaxy Note, I will only have Edge speed.

I am willing to switch over the AT&T for 3G service or higher internet speed but only for month to month basis since this Galaxy Note will be an unlocked phone so I will not be require to sign up in a contract.

For those in the U.S.A that has AT&T and also has just received the Galaxy Note, do you like the internet speed of AT&T ?

I have heard bad things about AT&T such as dropped call and poor signal, etc...
so I am just a little bit worry about signing up with AT&T.

My initial intention was to get the Nexus and go with Verizon but the Nexus is not as good as the Galaxy Note.

Also, which AT&T plan should I get?. I don't talk much on the phone but I do a lot of surfing on the internet. I need internet speed that is fast and reliable.
even I was thinking of doing the same thing, after a lot of discussion here on forum I have learnt that you go for att pay as you go prepaid plan which is $50/month, you get unlimited call/sms/data even sms to some 100 countries! the only thing you have to follow is activate the card using a dumbphone like razr or similar and then put your card in unlocked phone with correct APN and profit!
Only care you have to take is never put that sim in att smartphone or network will detect and you will be charged for smartphone plan..
if anyone else knows a better way, please post here..

Earthbrain

Nov 30, 2008
San Diego, CA
So is there any other suggestions on the best AT&T plan?

I am currently using the Note for the last 4 days.

I am still using T-mobile plan since my contract won't be up until next month in December.

However, I am only getting EDGE speed for my $10/month for 200 MB and it is so slow.

I really need to take advantage of Note since it is an expensive phone and I want to get at least 3G speed at AT&T. I have never signed up with AT&T so I am not familiar with its plans or any good tricks to get the best data plan.

Earthbrain

Nov 30, 2008
San Diego, CA
even I was thinking of doing the same thing, after a lot of discussion here on forum I have learnt that you go for att pay as you go prepaid plan which is $50/month, you get unlimited call/sms/data even sms to some 100 countries! the only thing you have to follow is activate the card using a dumbphone like razr or similar and then put your card in unlocked phone with correct APN and profit!
Only care you have to take is never put that sim in att smartphone or network will detect and you will be charged for smartphone plan..

I just went to an AT&T store about 2 hours ago (in San Diego) and spoke with a sale rep and he told me that using a smart phone with the prepaid plan for non-smart phone will not work.

I don't know if he is just want to prevent me from getting a good deal or he just doesn't know any loophole.

waghoba

Jul 21, 2010
I just went to an AT&T store about 2 hours ago (in San Diego) and spoke with a sale rep and he told me that using a smart phone with the prepaid plan for non-smart phone will not work.

I don't know if he is just want to prevent me from getting a good deal or he just doesn't know any loophole.
that is correct, its a loophole, you should never tell them that you are using a smartphone!
that is why I said 'activate using a dumbphone and then put the card and APN in your note, att can only detect their own subsidized smart phones and not the unlocked ones, so you are safe...
EDIT: and I dont think att representative will tell you this method even if he is using it! as he wants his job, right?

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
I've heard using prepaid services (gophone, straight talk) with a smart phone only give you around 500Kbps speeds. So even if its unlimited (I've heard straight talk caps you at 70MB per day) its hardly worth it considering how slow the internet is. And yes. Those speeds were with HSPA+ compatible phones on AT&T.

Can anyone confirm/deny/elaborate? At 500kbps I should just stay on Tmo since Edge speeds are not much slower. :(

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool

I experienced this last month while on hols in New York. Im a Brit and took along my Galaxy Tab 7". Dropped by an AT&T shop and said I wanted to buy a pre-paid SIM to use in it. He refused to sell me one. No technical reasons why it wouldn't work. Just seemed like a policy decision. I was shocked!

Tried a T-Mobile shop nearby and picked up a PAYG SIM for around $30, which did the job, but it was slooow. Think I was on Edge network at best. Good enough for Places and navigation, but a bit crap for browsing. Lesson learned - don't tell them the device is a smartphone/tablet :).

hammermedia

Mar 9, 2006
Chicago
You were on EDGE on T-Mobile because ATT and T-Mobile use different freqs for 3g in US. The GTab probably doesn't support T-Mobile s 3g freqs.

Next time go to a Walmart and get a Straight Talk prepaid package. You have to buy a 99 dollar dumbphone to activate the SIM then you should get 3g data once you move that SIM to the GTab and set the APN.

The howardforum link in earlier post is good info.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulshields

SNiiPE_DoGG

Jul 2, 2010
Beverly, MA
I am running my Note on AT&T with a $10/mo unlimited data for non-smartphones plan (family plan) and I get 4.5mbps down and 1.06mbps up in H+ areas. Freakin sweet.

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville

Ya that was a wrong move to go in and talk to an ATT rep about it. There are many that have this plan who use the international SGS2. Check in their XDA forum. It works.

leaverus

Oct 30, 2011

I think i f'd this up just now. Got my note today and ordered the sim from at&t after porting number over from verizon. I originally signed up online for the $40 450 mins + $30 dumbphone unlimited sms/data. But when calling to activate the phone i used the galaxy note's imei to activate the sim and they were able to detect that it was a smartphone (i thought they weren't able to do that with an international unlocked phone??); so the rep signed me up for $20 sms and $25 2gb plan. so now is there any way to go back to the dumbphone unlimited plan or will my Note's imei always be detected as a smartphone now??

jason370

Mar 30, 2010
NYC
I think i f'd this up just now. Got my note today and ordered the sim from at&t after porting number over from verizon. I originally signed up online for the $40 450 mins + $30 dumbphone unlimited sms/data. But when calling to activate the phone i used the galaxy note's imei to activate the sim and they were able to detect that it was a smartphone (i thought they weren't able to do that with an international unlocked phone??); so the rep signed me up for $20 sms and $25 2gb plan. so now is there any way to go back to the dumbphone unlimited plan or will my Note's imei always be detected as a smartphone now??

you're screwed, you needed to give the imei of a dumbphone or just put the sim into a dumbphone first. maybe have a friend do it for you as you are likely flagged forever.

PickleHead

Dec 7, 2010
I'm currently still on contract with 2 GB data and a captivate. If I get the international note can I bump it down to the medianet plan?

Ozidroid

Oct 31, 2011
I've got a note on ATT in the US. I have a 4g plan (used the note's imei) and the best speeds I've seen with speedtest are in the 5m down 1m up range. Some places it's been 1m/1m or worse, and the phone's bounced between 3g and H+.

I found some link the other day that showed ATT H+ coverage area, and I guess it shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just get the lowest minute plan and get 2GB internet. I'd get on contract, buy the Nexus or the iPhone and sell them on ebay for $700 and use that towards your note, that's what I did. I can't comment on internet speeds because I'm always on wifi.
    No Sim

I went in to a Walmart to check this straight talk out and they said they don't carry sim cards. it's like sprint.
    You were on EDGE on T-Mobile because ATT and T-Mobile use different freqs for 3g in US. The GTab probably doesn't support T-Mobile s 3g freqs.

Next time go to a Walmart and get a Straight Talk prepaid package. You have to buy a 99 dollar dumbphone to activate the SIM then you should get 3g data once you move that SIM to the GTab and set the APN.

The howardforum link in earlier post is good info.
    Some at&t Rep is sitting somewhere reading all these post lol.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be mentioning it from now on, hopefully people can learn to search. we are like %.01 of their userbase though... almost everyone buys contract phones and pays the full rate.
    Galaxy S II for $50?? :confused:

If you promise not to buy all of them... Ill tell you.

Black Friday at Radio Shack has the infuse for free (getting for the wife) and the GSII for $50. Nice, right?

Plus not too many people go to Radio Shack for black friday, and there are a number of them in my area. I think my chances a pretty good. :D