FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Working with white on black

1,446 posts
Thanks Meter: 442
 
By ChodTheWacko, Senior Member on 31st October 2011, 04:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello Everyone,

As you all know, the Note has an AMOLED display.
Each pixel lights itself individually, so if you have an all black screen, you use basically no power at all. If you have white, then it's on at full power.

What is annoying (so to speak) is that many apps have a default of a pure white background and black text. From a power perspective, it is much better to do white text on a black background. Yes, you can turn down the brightness, but then it's just harder to read due to less contrast.

I found one method of doing white on black web browsing with opera mobile:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-cap...ml#post3028371

Instructions stolen from that post (for convenience):

1. Create a text file on the sd card with the following:

* { background-color: black ! important; color: white !important }
:link, :link * { color: #00ffff !important }
:visited, :visited * { color: #ff00ff !important }

2. Open Opera and type "opera:config" into the url field.
3. Click "Quick find" and type "css" to filter the options.
4. Tick the "User CSS" tick box
5. In the "Local CSS File" choose the css file you made earlier.
you may have to hit 'back' a bit to go up subdirectories.
6. Save your changes to the config screen.

For the most part, it does what it says.
Also If I load in text files into opera mobile, I can also read them as white on black. It takes a little getting used to, but I got used to it quickly. There are some glitches, sometimes some graphics don't show up right. (not sure why - it's usually banner stuff).

If anyone knows how to do with with other browsers, that would be good to know. The original post it claimed it worked with opera mini, but I can't find the 'full' about:config screen.
Using a color of 'Lime' seems to be better - not quite as intense as white on black, and should save even more power.

There's some interesting articles about what color/color combos are easy to read or not.
Yellow/Black is the most obnoxious and hard on the eyes, which is why it's used on warning signs!

- Frank
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to ChodTheWacko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChodTheWacko Ad-Free
 
 
19th November 2011, 12:45 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Works perfectly!

I use more traditional link colors though:

* { background: black ! important; color: white !important }
:link, :link * { color: #4289ff !important }
:visited, :visited * { color: #969bff !important }
The Following User Says Thank You to randomstranger99 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift randomstranger99 Ad-Free
19th November 2011, 07:34 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 442
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomstranger99

Works perfectly!

I use more traditional link colors though:

* { background: black ! important; color: white !important }
:link, :link * { color: #4289ff !important }
:visited, :visited * { color: #969bff !important }

Hmm, I'll try those, thanks.

I don't know why but some web page graphics don't show up.
Like on XDA, I can't see the 'reply' button (but you can click on it if you know where it is).

I tend to cross reference it with opera mini if I suspect there's a missing graphic somewhere. Most sites work fine though.

- Frank
The Following User Says Thank You to ChodTheWacko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ChodTheWacko Ad-Free
19th November 2011, 08:47 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
I tried to apply the CSS to Opera Mini, but the config doesn't appear to have the same number of options as Opera Mobile does.
Do you know if browsers other than Opera Mobile can use custom styles?
19th November 2011, 09:56 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Thanks! Do you know of any way to easily toggle between this CSS and the default?
19th November 2011, 06:17 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko

I don't know why but some web page graphics don't show up.
Like on XDA, I can't see the 'reply' button (but you can click on it if you know where it is).
- Frank

You have to use "background-color" instead of "background" in the css because with "background:black" you're overriding all background properties like "background-image" and "background-position" etc.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lj_1102 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lj_1102 Ad-Free
19th November 2011, 08:41 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 442
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj_1102

You have to use "background-color" instead of "background" in the css because with "background:black" you're overriding all background properties like "background-image" and "background-position" etc.

That's much better, thanks!

- Frank
19th November 2011, 11:45 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Any way you can easily switch between them? This morning I wanted to go back to the normal color scheme and I went back, clicked default, then save, and for some reason it was unable to find the original CSS file even though it highlighted the correct path to the original just before I hit save. I had to uninstall and reinstall Opera in order to recover the original settings.
20th November 2011, 01:17 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 442
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxh

Any way you can easily switch between them? This morning I wanted to go back to the normal color scheme and I went back, clicked default, then save, and for some reason it was unable to find the original CSS file even though it highlighted the correct path to the original just before I hit save. I had to uninstall and reinstall Opera in order to recover the original settings.

I don't think so.
I just use opera mini if I want to see default colors.

- Frank
21st November 2011, 01:58 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
More
Thank you guys ! it is exactly what I was looking for
7th December 2011, 09:55 PM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Thanks a lot, it's nice for the sgs2 too
The Following User Says Thank You to Echoflyer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Echoflyer Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes