FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (AT&T) Screen Lines

169 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By markjo, Senior Member on 8th November 2011, 02:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I saw somewhere on the T-Mo GSII section that there was a thread of about 50 pages of people complaining that their screens, under varying brightness settings and to varying degrees, displayed some vertical "ghost" lines running up and down the screen..

I picked up a Skyrocket earlier today at the AT&T store and was disappointed to see that the screen was doing just that. Hence, me searching and finding this thread. After some thinking, I went back to the store and exchanged the Skyrocket for the Vivid, which I am even more displeased with, although for other reasons (call quality, weight, etc. Although I'm going to use it for a few days to see how it goes). I just wanted to try it out of curiosity, a restocking fee is alright for me should I decide to go back to the Skyrocket.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Skyrocket or GSII in general? I was surprised to have searched this general section and not found anything about it. The display model in the store exhibited the same "ghost" lines as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to markjo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift markjo Ad-Free

8th November 2011, 02:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
There is no reason to pick up any other smartphone as of now if you own a sgs2, assuming your on at&t or even international, you would have the dual core exynos, which out performs anything on the market as of now, even the skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
8th November 2011, 02:48 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

More
That... has nothing to do with my question.

I'm not asking for specs and numbers and names. I know what all of it is, and I don't care - it's about what I want and like. And I would hope others are able to do as they please as well.

ANYWAY. No one has had any screen troubles?
8th November 2011, 03:05 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
I've never seen any lines on my I9100, nor heard of others having the issues described in that thread. At minimum brightness, in absolute darkness, I can see a few blobs on a black screen, but even then I have to really look for them or I won't notice. The usual complaints I've seen about I9100 screens are yellowish tint and sometimes burn-in, though I haven't experienced either of those personally.

You probably already asked in the T-Mo forum since you linked a thread from it, but I'm pretty sure the Skyrocket uses the same screen as the T989, so imo you're more likely to find useful feedback there. I'm assuming you're only interested in LTE AT&T phones, so you're probably f'd, but the I777 uses the same screen as the I9100 where I've never heard of that particular problem.
8th November 2011, 04:06 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just got the Skyrocket on Sunday and I'm having the same issue with the vertical lines. Looks pretty terrible on dark images/backgrounds in low ambient light.

I searched a ton yesterday on Google and this is first place I found someone complaining of the same problem. I can't decide whether it's good or bad to know someone else is seeing the same issue.
9th November 2011, 12:19 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I have 2 international i9100's.

They both have this issue, one is more noticeable than the other, but as you say usually on low brightness/dark images. Suspect it is a result of the manufacturing process of the S-AMOLED Plus screen and if they haven't fixed it by now in the skyrocket (almost surprising but at the same time not really) they aren't going to.

For me it doesn't bother me a whole ton as I don't see it most of the time but it does kind of suck lol.
9th November 2011, 01:00 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I got an international. What Anandtech calls persistence bothers me,

The situation reminds me of the early large size lcd tv days. Lines, clouding, uneven this that. In the future it will be all fixed but its not today.
9th November 2011, 03:04 AM |#8  
Flag Cebu City
Thanks Meter: 1,053

More
No issues here.. Our only issue on our screen is the blobs, yrllowish tint and "burins"..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
9th November 2011, 03:25 PM |#9  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,476

Donate to Me
More
Someone needs to put a sticky to keep Skyrocket discussion out of these forums.

The device is a Galaxy S II in name only and nothing else.

Shame on Samsung for diluting their brand like this... The Shitrocket is going to ruin their reputation in the USA, as if AT&T's mangling of the stock ROM for the I777 didn't already.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th November 2011, 10:15 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
my rogers s2 has the same issue as well
10th November 2011, 10:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I heard about this issue before I got my SII (not Skyrocket), and even knowing about the problem and using the phone a lot at the lowest brightness I have never noticed it on my screen.

I have however noticed the yellow tint problem mentioned above, and I use Screen Adjuster to compensate for it by adding more blue.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)