FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Video on Note

160 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By BerreZ, Senior Member on 13th November 2011, 04:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all ,

I've got a Note for a week now and altough it's an amoled screen , i've tried every kind of video from avi to mkv ( 720 p quality ) and even reencoded files to mp4 or h264. But black aren't deep black and more dark grey , sometimes even pixelated ( blocks ). I even got the impression that this was also sometimes the case with some games ( for instance the opening sequence in Asphalt 6 HD ).
Is this normal with Samsung devices and is there a way to improve this.

Thanks

13th November 2011, 05:46 PM |#2  
Flag Finland
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
SEE?
Gnote has same specs as the galaxy s2!
just 200 more hz on CPU.

Should play all those files man!

if no worky on note byt works on SGS2 then u have somekinda fail version manufacture thing!

try getting it replaced if it does not play avi or any files!!

it really should work! try some file on sgs2 if its ok there then u phone deff a bad batch!

get it replaced! u have good Reasons to get it fixed?

helped?
13th November 2011, 06:43 PM |#3  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 47

More
He didn't say anything about the files not running, he mentioned a complaint about graphics performance due to non-AMOLED-style deep blacks.

Ffs...
13th November 2011, 06:51 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leuven

More
Thanks
Hello ,

I probably didn't express myself completly correctly.
The Note can play al those video file and even mkv without any lag , the problem consist in the fact that the blacks in the video are not realy black but more greish , like if the contrast was not calibrated right.I even got blocks in the black part of the video.I don't have that problem with photos.
It's also like there is oversaturation , i have tried the stock video player , act video and mx player , all give me the same result.
13th November 2011, 07:22 PM |#5  
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerreZ

Hello ,

I probably didn't express myself completly correctly.
The Note can play al those video file and even mkv without any lag , the problem consist in the fact that the blacks in the video are not realy black but more greish , like if the contrast was not calibrated right.I even got blocks in the black part of the video.I don't have that problem with photos.
It's also like there is oversaturation , i have tried the stock video player , act video and mx player , all give me the same result.

It looks to me like its video quality issue. If you run video provided by samsung "lightness & slimmess", you can check whether black colour is properly displayed (skip to 0:55 for the best result).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niuseek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Niuseek Ad-Free
13th November 2011, 08:31 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leuven

More
Thanks
I have done what you said and the black of this video are completely black.
This is a 1080p hd video.Does that mean that only hd videos work propely, I hope not.
The video with the problems could be played flawless on my Htc Sensation or on my Asus Eee pad transformer both with a slower processor.
13th November 2011, 09:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,005

More
Sounds like the OP's video bitrates are too low, since he is describing black crush. Higher bitrate videos do not exhibit those problems.
14th November 2011, 11:18 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leuven

More
Thanks
This is propably the reason , but what do you mean by "OP's" .

Thanks
14th November 2011, 11:53 AM |#9  
Flag Basingstoke

More
OP = Original Poster.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Prozac69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prozac69 Ad-Free
14th November 2011, 02:09 PM |#10  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niuseek

It looks to me like its video quality issue. If you run video provided by samsung "lightness & slimmess", you can check whether black colour is properly displayed (skip to 0:55 for the best result).

Here endeth the lesson!
14th November 2011, 02:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Mine does this too. the samsung video plays fine but most other blacks are purplish and blocky. This happened in the green lantern film downloaded from the market, the first part of it is very dark and was unwatchable. It happens to a lesser extent in 1080p trailers downloaded from the net. When I use a black screen for my lockscreen it is the same. Even the starry background during the orbiting planet part in quadrant benchmark is a blocky purple mess. It is not even constant. Occasionally it seems OK. I am going to send mine back.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)