FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TouchNooter 1.6.24 for 1.1

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By Celebom, Junior Member on 14th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
which uRamdisk to Replace into touchnooter-1.6.24 to make it work on 1.1 is not clear (there are 2 of them).

The answer is ONLY /nooter/boot/uRamdisk (don't touch the one in the root)

with this configuration (and the framework.jar) i got it to work on the first boot, no need to make the 3 boots sequence.

concluding (starting from an 1.1 virgin system):
  • download touchnooter-1-6-24.zip
  • extract touchnooter-1-6-24.img
  • download one of those uRamdisk
  • download framework.jar
  • replace ONLY /nooter/boot/uRamdisk in touchnooter-1-6-24.img
  • replace framework.jar in touchnooter-1-6-24.img
  • write touchnooter-1-6-24.img on the SD
  • just 1 boot as usual to the android welcome page,
  • then remove the SD,
  • reboot,
  • double skip as usual
  • NookColorTools - disable and re-enable non market apps (uncheck and check it again),
  • Youtube (error 401),
  • Gmail
  • and finally...
  • Market (install at least 1 application with this version, search doesn't work)
  • now (after you have installed 1 app) eventually replace Vending.apk with this to enable search

i also putted this inside my touchnooter, the 2 .jar into the framework directory and the apk into the app but this shouldn't be necessary...

this is how it worked for me, enjoy

Since i don't have enough posts for development forum, i will post this here, may be someone can move it to the right place, i'm not used to spam, but this 10 posts rule seems to encourage new users to spam 10 posts around...

move it here if you can
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celebom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Celebom Ad-Free

14th November 2011, 08:45 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I think what you are addressing is exactly apeine's problem:

Quote:

changed both uramdisk ... Booted with SD in and it either locks up or goes to regular nook (on 12 tries, 10 lock ups and 2 going to regular nook)

Incidentally, how long did it take to boot and work on the first try? With 1.0.1 firmware I rooted three nooks and left it for over 30 minutes on the first one without success. Then on the other two I was impatient and gave it two boots. So I never let 1.1.0 go on that long before rebooting since I assumed it was going nowhere.
14th November 2011, 10:50 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik

I think what you are addressing is exactly apeine's problem:

yes, that's why i wrote this, i cannot reply in the development section because i have too few posts on the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik

Incidentally, how long did it take to boot and work on the first try? With 1.0.1 firmware I rooted three nooks and left it for over 30 minutes on the first one without success. Then on the other two I was impatient and gave it two boots. So I never let 1.1.0 go on that long before rebooting since I assumed it was going nowhere.

In my case it took slightly longer than a normal boot, no freeze at all, just about 1-2 minute on "Rooted Forever", then some time, may be 1-2 minutes on the nook dots screen with the dots moving (they never froze) and then the android guy page, no more than 4-5 minutes globally.

Anyway when i used touchnooter on 1.0.1 the first time, i had to reboot 2 times as you reported, same problem, more or less, may be the freezing at boot is something which happens, but not regularly
15th November 2011, 02:52 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
thank you for the description!

so if i understood correctly, there's no drawback with this method, everything works as it was before upgrade to 1.1.0, including the Market?

what about the installed apps, especially the non-free ones? (I've purchased OrientationControl)
can I simply download it from Market again, or should I backup the APK file and copy it back after upgrade/root?
15th November 2011, 03:09 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glezmen

thank you for the description!
so if i understood correctly, there's no drawback with this method, everything works as it was before upgrade to 1.1.0, including the Market?

Yes, my nook behave exactly as with 1.0.1

Quote:

what about the installed apps, especially the non-free ones? (I've purchased OrientationControl)
can I simply download it from Market again, or should I backup the APK file and copy it back after upgrade/root?

No idea, never bought an app, just free ones, but to keep an .apk backup is always a safe choice :)

about orientation... i remember Orientation Switch and this (just in case someone wanted rotation for free)
15th November 2011, 03:43 PM |#6  
Flag Bodø
Thanks Meter: 164

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

You can re-install purchased apps from Market whenever you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to ros87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ros87 Ad-Free
15th November 2011, 03:43 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebom

about orientation... i remember Orientation Switch and this (just in case someone wanted rotation for free)

thanks for the hint, I will have a look on it (especially if i can't download the app again for free )
btw 1 EUR was not a big pain (I tried ADW launcher and rotation before, but it was not really convenient)
15th November 2011, 06:39 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
As long as you have market working with your prior GMail account, you should have no problem redownloading both your free and paid apps.
16th November 2011, 12:32 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks. Worked like a charm.

I first installed Astro File Manager, which is the second one in the list under the "Productivity" -> "Top Free". This allows me to install Vending.apk (Market where the search function works), and then follow it with Titanium Backup.

Using Titanium Backup re-installed all the apps from my previous backup, plus installed the XorZone's NookTouchTools for 1.1 (jars are different from 1.0.1).

I'm not sure what the significant difference is between the firmwares, but I understanding that the screen refresh is a bit quicker, and that the battery report is more accurate (previously batt reading would fluctuate when first turned on).

As for the firmware upgrade.... my STR just did not want to download the upgrade, even though I set the screensaver to 1 hour. There could be several reason why this didn't work, such that I don't live in US, or the process of rooting had modified something (even thought I factory reset it).
In the end I just connected it using USB, and loaded it into the root directory of the my STR (a simply file copy in Windows XP). Then the upgrade started a minute after the copy.
16th November 2011, 10:36 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thanks for your guide! I've just finished rooting my 1.1 Nook Simple Touch firmware
Remember everybody :
ONLY REPLACE URAMDISK IN NOOTER/BOOT/ (OF TOUCHNOOTER .IMG FILE)
26th March 2012, 04:00 AM |#11  

More
Question uRamdisk mirror?
Hello, guess I shouldn't have started without all the downloads but I assumed they would be somewhere? any alternative downloads for uRamdisk_rooted because all the links are broken.

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)