FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DISCONTINUED] TRANSPARENT Genie Widget from Android 4.1 JB (BLUE AND MIUI COLORS!)

759 posts
Thanks Meter: 268

By thunderteaser, Senior Member on 15th November 2011, 03:59 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Hello, guys!

I managed to mod an application to have a transparent background and it worked just fine, so I decided to share it with you.

This is the new News and Weather Widget from Google that works on Froyo and above on every ROM and every device. It has some new features such as displaying more information on the weather by clicking on the weather icon within the app (as you can see in the first picture) and a cool cerulean highlight effect when pressing on the widget.

Since 1.3.11 from Jelly Bean, it was updated to improve freshness and power consumption.

*UPDATE*

Updated GenieWidget to 1.3.11 from Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Now you can choose between 2 glow colors when pressing on the widget on the home screen: ORIGINAL BLUE or MIUI ORANGE!

Thanks to c3k for providing the Jelly Bean apk and to YOU FOR DOWNLOADING IT MORE THAN 10000 TIMES! I started sharing it just for fun, how could I've ever expected it? Thanks!

*INSTRUCTIONS*
  • Uninstall any previous version, if any (if it's a system apk, remove it using Root Explorer or any equivalent apk);
  • Download the version you desire (BLUE glow or MIUI glow);
  • Push it to /system/app with adb, or just copy it to your sdcard and install it as a regular apk;
  • Enjoy!

*TROUBLESHOOTING*

Having troubles or force closes? Please, remember that this is just a mod, I'm not the author of the original apk, so make sure your problems are coming from my mods *only* before asking! If you can't see anything wrong with an original GenieWidget version, please uninstall GenieWidget, reboot to recovery, clear caches, reboot and try installing it again.

*CHANGELOG*
  • 11-15-2011: Initial mod from ICS 4.0.0;
  • 02-07-2012: Updated mod to 1.3.04, from ICS 4.0.3 which now includes ICS themed tabs and minor graphical changes overall. It also supports HD resolutions (e.g. Galaxy Nexus);
  • 07-23-2012: Updated to 1.3.11 from JB 4.1; added MIUI variant; removed ICS versions.
  • 06-15-2016: Discontinuing project since Google stopped supporting GenieWidget.
The Following 97 Users Say Thank You to thunderteaser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thunderteaser Ad-Free

15th November 2011, 05:06 PM |#2  
Flag Islamabad
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Thanks Works Great!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nimra Khan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nimra Khan Ad-Free
15th November 2011, 07:08 PM |#3  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 52

More
thanks downloading it now im trying to make my miui ics build to look like ics as much as i can
15th November 2011, 07:09 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aversa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsterdam

thanks downloading it now im trying to make my miui ics build to look like ics as much as i can

That's great!
19th November 2011, 09:28 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Widget work, but app does't.

CyanogenMod 7.1.0 - Galaxy S
21st November 2011, 02:06 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Aversa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skomaroh

Widget work, but app does't.

Did you have a previous GenieWidget? Uninstall it and install it again, it should work!
21st November 2011, 04:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Works great for me! He he, Thanks.
30th November 2011, 03:44 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderteaser

Did you have a previous GenieWidget? Uninstall it and install it again, it should work!

I made this, but result isn't change. Widget works, and app when starts - crash.

UPD: This isn't bug of this app, this is bug of cyanogemod. Because the same error in some another app, that connect to internet (Beautifull Widget - when search theme, etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to skomaroh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift skomaroh Ad-Free
1st December 2011, 05:55 PM |#9  

More
thanks! looks great.
1st December 2011, 11:46 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hi im running onecosmic's port of ics on my i9000.
I couldnt find any options to set my widgets to transparent.
So im wondering if its ok for me to install this apk, assuming this apk was meant for froyo and gingerbread.

Edit:

Ive mistaken this for an ability to make all the widgets in ics to go transparent.

Is there a way to do this??

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
2nd December 2011, 09:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Never mind. Im using go launchrr with transparent widgets.

Sent from my Ics beast
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apk, ics, news, transparent, weather
Previous Thread Next Thread