Remove All Ads from XDA

[FIX] Boot loops on eMMC dual boot

198 posts
Thanks Meter: 35

By sryan1983, Senior Member on 17th November 2011, 05:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First and foremost,

Standard Disclaimer
By flashing this you should understand that I am not responsible for bricked devices. In order to flash this file, you would have already rooted your device, voiding the warranty. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and I take no blame or responsibility if you brick your device and/or your device catches fire.

I would like to start off saying that I used the eMMC dual boot option referenced here [eMMC]Updated Dual Boot Guide[CM 7.1+][Phiremod 7+][Stock 1.3] and ran into the problem where the main partition (CM7 in my case) was booting normally, however, the alternate partition (Stock 1.3 rooted) would continually boot loop. After research, I found out that it was boot looping due to the incorrect versions of Adobe Flash and Air being installed. They were also installed to /system instead of /data.

I found two excellent guides located here and here that helped diagnose the problem. Unfortunately, these only helped with the primary partition.

In order to fix the boot looping of the alternate partition, I modified the updater-script provided by jaromnelson to reflect the alternate partition.

What this file does is removes the incorrect Adobe Air and Adobe Flash from /system folder on the alternate partition and installs the correct Adobe Air and Adobe Flash to /data folder. DO NOT INSTALL THIS FILE IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING eMMC DUAL BOOT by Taosaur. If you continue to boot loop after you install, you are not boot looping because of Adobe Air and/or Flash.

To Install:
Download the file located here
Put the file onto your SD Card
Boot into CWM recovery
To be on the safe side, Wipe Cache and Dalvik (not sure if this helps but I do it anyway).
Code:
CWM > Wipe Cache Partition
CWM > Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache
Install the attached ZIP through CWM.
Reboot into your alternate partition and enjoy.

I am by no means a developer, just a guy that does a lot of research.

Full credit goes to:
Taosaur for creating the eMMC dual boot guide
jaromrnelson for creating the guide to fixing the boot looping
GMPOWER for the initial ZIP
The Following User Says Thank You to sryan1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sryan1983 Ad-Free

23rd March 2012, 01:18 PM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Wheaton, Il
Thanks Meter: 1,708

Donate to Me
More
Do you happen to still have this file, file seems to not exist.
I'm having the same issues you were
You can always upload it here as an attachment
23rd March 2012, 01:44 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oviedo, FL

More
Wow. I can't believe this may actually help someone. All this time, I thought I would have been the only one to encounter this problem. Unfortunately it would not let me attach the file to the post. Anyhow, here is an updated link. I'll update the OP too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8e8vxgl8haag2a5
The Following User Says Thank You to sryan1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sryan1983 Ad-Free
23rd March 2012, 07:05 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oviedo, FL

More
Mikey, after looking, it appears that the original referenced thread has been updated to a new method of installing dual boot to emmc. When I get home I will check to make sure that the new version uses the same boot partitions. So for now (until I can check) this zip is only good for the old method.

edit: I looks like the new method uses the same boot partitions (primary system: 0p5 and primary data: 0p6 --- secondary system: 0p9 and secondary data: 0p10) as the old method. So, if you are using the new method and experiencing the same boot loops as before, it should be safe. In reality, I'm not even sure if the Adobe problems exist anymore with the new method. As stated in the OP though, I'm not responsible for bricked devices.

To be honest, my wife has been reading on the nook so much lately, she hasn't let me mess around with it. As soon as she finishes up this book that she's on now, I plan on updating to the newest stock and ICS.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
27th March 2012, 10:39 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Always boots to CWM
My problem is a little different, but I'm hoping you can direct me where to go. I've been running the dual boot for about a week and it worked great. Stock on Alt and CM7 Kang on Primary. Today I backed up and then installed a theme that created a boot loop. So I tried to restore from the back up... no good. It boots up the little green Cyanogenmod, says loading, then straight to CWM. Then I tried to format the system, data, cache, and Dalvik, then re-install CM7...same, straight to CWM. I tried from the beginning, repartitioning and installing Stock with CWM... now Read Forever comes up and then to CWM. Suggestions Please.
28th March 2012, 02:02 AM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,866

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser88

My problem is a little different, but I'm hoping you can direct me where to go. I've been running the dual boot for about a week and it worked great. Stock on Alt and CM7 Kang on Primary. Today I backed up and then installed a theme that created a boot loop. So I tried to restore from the back up... no good. It boots up the little green Cyanogenmod, says loading, then straight to CWM. Then I tried to format the system, data, cache, and Dalvik, then re-install CM7...same, straight to CWM. I tried from the beginning, repartitioning and installing Stock with CWM... now Read Forever comes up and then to CWM. Suggestions Please.

Try this post. Not exactly the same issue, but this person solved his CWM boot loop issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=23864432

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
28th March 2012, 07:27 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
@Leapinlar
Thanks for the help. That thread was perfect. I'm up and running now!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boot loop, boot looping, emmc dual boot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)