FORUMS

[Gen9] Gen9 permanent root with SuperUser

1,690 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,346

By letama, Senior Member on 18th November 2011, 02:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello All,

*Update*. Except special request, I won't release this:

Simpler and much safer: enable SDE! Go there.
Rooted build that works with it here.

First, a big thank you to Paul O'Brien at Modaco for his root method (http://android.modaco.com/topic/3473...-root-phase-1/), it's the indispensable first step needed to permanent root. This is as far as I know the only way to get the temp root required for this "proper" permanent root.

** edit ** Guys, don't try Paul's root on Gen8, this is for Gen9 only

And to clarify a bit for Gen9, Paul's root method alone is not enough, having root with it will kill audio and device don't wake up.

WAIT for the whole thing to go out of beta!

If you installed Paul's one and want to get rid of it, you have to clear data partition by going to Settings/Repair and formating, Reset Android. You'll loose all apps and preferences but your device will be back to normal.

A big thank you to the openaos team too, their documentation and work on previous Archos devices helped a lot.

Here is just a little preview of what I've been doing on my A101 G9:

I now have a "clean" permanent root with working SuperUser.apk, see picture attached of Titanium Backup running on it (sorry about the very poor quality of the pictures).

I'll be releasing it soon if all goes well, but I'd like to beta test it before with few brave and experimented users. If you want to beta-test and don't fear too much about your G9, send me a PM.

Word of caution: you shouldn't do that! wait for SDE, it will probably come.

Currently, the method is quite "rough", you have to have adb working and be a bit cautious about what you do. You also invalidate your warranty doing this.

A little technical background on it:

1) Gen9 is having a similar rawfs as Gen8, same init/custom, same kind of initrd/rootfs...

2) Gen9 bootloaders are *not* protected with checksum verifications like we had in Gen8! I just had to rewrite a kernel with a modified initrd to bypass squashfs.secure verifications, then rebuild a squashfs with ro.secure=0 and SuperUser.apk installed.

I spent some time looking at bootloaders disassembly thinking that I may have missed something before taking the risk of modifying kernel, but it seems they have been removed.

3) Gen9 Init/Custom/Recovery are now zImage+lzma cpio, not gzip anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111118_143240.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	786778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111118_144651.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	786779  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to letama For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift letama Ad-Free
18th November 2011, 02:57 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
* reserved *
18th November 2011, 03:55 PM |#3  
Flag Alexandria
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Thanks for the great information , and it's working on 101 gen 8 too , i've tested it and its working
18th November 2011, 07:51 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
it doesn't work on A70 Gen8
after second adb reboot command the device doesn't weak up
it shows blinking Archos logo
UrukDroid installed on SDE - continue working

anyone help to recover Archos OS ?
18th November 2011, 07:55 PM |#5  
Flag Alexandria
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobybc

reinstall archos official firmware from SDE i faced this issue after trying to enable WIFI and solved it by reinstalling archos firmware
18th November 2011, 09:11 PM |#6  
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167

Donate to Me
More
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
i wait yours files !
18th November 2011, 10:35 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobybc

Well, Paul's root is designed for Gen9, not Gen8, I'm not surprised it doesn't work on it.

To get rid of it, go into recovery and clear the data partition. I don't know exactly what is done to get this semi-permanent root, but clearing data partition (apps+preference) removes it on Gen9.
21st November 2011, 07:30 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i did :
Recovery -> Format System -> Reset Android
and now i have clear copy of Archos FW
i was surprised how fast and without lags is working my Archos now
26th November 2011, 05:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Is this reallyworking? Where do i find the SDE for the Gen9?
I just can find the G9 SDK.
27th November 2011, 11:52 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoPan

Is this reallyworking? Where do i find the SDE for the Gen9?
I just can find the G9 SDK.

Yes it does work, however I'd prefer not releasing this method for now as it's more dangerous than enabling SDE.

Archos official SDE for Gen9 doesn't exist, but I found a way to enable SDE menu in bootloader and it's enough to flash your own kernel and initrd.

With this, you can flash whatever you want the same way it's done with Gen8. I hope that we'll get many builds in the future, but in the meantime, I built a stock one with root and superuser.apk here.
28th November 2011, 03:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Any reason why i am unable to install the usb drivers needed neither on w32 nor on x64 systems? I tried a manual install but its not working at all and its def. not the 1st driver i am installing in my life Furthermore, the usb.ini file is not in the %userprofile% android dir in x64 ....pain in the ass this is.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)