FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

I deleted some files in root accidentally; now it won't boot.

306 posts
Thanks Meter: 45

By Printerscape, Senior Member on 18th November 2011, 04:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I deleted some critical files in /system directory accidentally, and it force closed / shut off.

When I tried turning it back on, it never gets past the "kindle fire" screen.

Connecting it to the computer and using adb, su command doesn't work, mount doesn't work... but it can detect the device.

So... am I screwed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Printerscape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Printerscape Ad-Free

18th November 2011, 05:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Unless someone discovers, or Kindle support can give you, a way to load the software via the boot loader, you're probably bricked.

I'm not sure if the boot loader has this functionality. Has anyone successfully extracted it yet?
18th November 2011, 05:05 PM |#3  
Flag San Tan Valley
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I was playing around last night replacing packages and I did something similar...where I got stuck in the same situation. What I was able to do (and was very happy/surprised it worked) was using the root process to get back in.

The one I used was the one with the script you run which does everything for you. I'm on a mac so I hacked the runmemac.sh script and add in a few lines after the /system mount point was remounted rw to push out the apk's I had swapped and make sure the permissions were set right. I kicked off the script and it proceeded to root my kindle (even though it was not necessary) and put my packages back.

It's an ugly way...I could have just ran the individual commands but I was being lazy. It also means you need the original packages you removed first in order to put them back. But it worked.

Basically find this section in the script:

echo "--- remounting /system"
./$varadb shell "/data/local/tmp/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"

and add:

./$varadb push whatever.apk /system/app/
./$varadb shell "chown root.root /system/app/whatever.apk"
./$varadb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/whatever.apk"

If push doesn't work, you can try install. I had a few trial and errors in the process but that is from my last go around which worked...twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to ivanemoore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ivanemoore Ad-Free
18th November 2011, 08:13 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanemoore

The one I used was the one with the script you run which does everything for you. I'm on a mac so I hacked the runmemac.sh script and add in a few lines after the /system mount point was remounted rw to push out the apk's I had swapped and make sure the permissions were set right.

It wouldn't mount... :/. *sigh*
18th November 2011, 08:22 PM |#5  
Flag champaign, il
Thanks Meter: 8

More
The fire does have a recovery partition but I've not figured out how to trigger it during boot..
18th November 2011, 08:42 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
have you tried getting to it through ADB?

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayfairDROID

have you tried getting to it through ADB?

Nope..to easy I guess I tried ADB REBOOT RECOVERY with no success. It rebooted back to the lock screen
19th November 2011, 03:03 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Download the standalone 6.1 update and adb in and put it in the updates folder. Then reboot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
19th November 2011, 03:29 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkish

Download the standalone 6.1 update and adb in and put it in the updates folder. Then reboot.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

How do I adb push files to /sdcard/kindleupdates/ directory?

After typing "adb devices" to show the device, I typed:
C:\adb> adb push update-kindle-6.1_D01E_2017120.bin /sdcard/kindlefireupdates/

To which I got:
failed to copy 'update-kindle....bin' to '/sdcard/kindlefireupdates/': Permission denied

I tried using "\":
C:\adb> adb push update-kindle-6.1_D01E_2017120.bin \sdcard\kindlefireupdates\

To which I got:
failed to copy 'update....bin' to '\sdcard\kindlefireupdates\': Read-only file system

19th November 2011, 04:01 AM |#9  
Flag champaign, il

More
Try this:
adb shell mount -w -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /mnt/sdcard
adb push update-kindle....bin /mnt/sdcard/kindleupdates
19th November 2011, 04:13 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by transfuntioner

Try this:
adb shell mount -w -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /mnt/sdcard
adb push update-kindle....bin /mnt/sdcard/kindleupdates

mount: Operation not permitted.

Doing:
adb shell su
results in "[1] Segmentation fault su"
The Following User Says Thank You to Printerscape For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Printerscape Ad-Free
19th November 2011, 04:59 AM |#11  
Flag champaign, il

More
Sorry, forgot about the su part.. I am guessing adb remount also does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Unless someone discovers, or Kindle support can give you, a way to load the software via the boot loader, you're probably bricked.

I'm not sure if the boot loader has this functionality. Has anyone successfully extracted it yet?

Yes, I've been able to get at this functionality! I am still working on documenting my findings in my fastboot thread. However, be forewarned, the method & instructions are not user friendly at the moment!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)