FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root Achieved for Le Pan TC 970

79 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By DerKoch, Member on 19th November 2011, 05:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT 12/13/2011:

Instructions to Root the le pan tab tc970 from whatid (THANK YOU!!)

"Here are the steps (to root) for newbies.
1. Download the packages from OP (Post #1). Assume you are using windows, you don't need LinuxDriver.7z.
2. Use http://www.7-zip.org/ to unpack onto your computer.
3. On your TC970, hit home->Menu
4. Applications -> Development
5. Check "USB debugging", optionally some suggest checking "Stay awake"
6. Connect your TC970 to your PC, when prompted new hardware detected. Select the Windows Drivers directory you unpacked in.
7. Once driver is installed, run "SuperOneClick.exe"
8. Just click "Root" under the "Universal" tab and wait.
** It will prompt you to install BusyBox during the first time, just install it **
9. When it is done, it will prompt you.

From dbaybay's experience (thank you for your continual help in leading the le pan community through the growing pains!!!):

If you ever have to root your tab again (say after upgrading the firmware), when you root it the first time, open up SuperUser before rebooting and Menu > Options/Prefs and choose "update binaries". Then reboot and your root will stick the first time around.

If everything seems ok, turn off your TC970 by holding on the power button. Power up again, and see if root stay (use Root Checker Basic).

If not, repeat step 6 (no need to install driver again) until you have root after reboot."

Also a big thanks to nehinbin for giving the community insider info with regard to the tablet and firmware v2 which you can find here:

http://lepan.supportsync.com/article...et_Computer_11

For the brave or fool hardy, here is a link which will direct you to directions on how to port CWM to a new, as of yet unsupported device (like the 970):

http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/10/...ry-to-new.html

AND HOT OFF THE PRESS FROM cas_xp:

"I am still waiting mine to be shipped. (should be today or tomorrow) Can not wait!

But if anyone is interested, I attached a tool to extract Le Pan update package as
Kernel
ramdisk
recovery
system

For somehow, the system is compressed and not yaffs2 or other format. I am trying to figure it out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

I have achieved root using a modified superoneclick 2.2 on my Le Pan TC 970!!!!!

Credit to all devs who produced superoneclick and associated root methods!!!!

I wish I could take some sort of techie credit for this, but I did it by swapping the adb file and associated .dlls in superoneclick with some that I procured from *somewhere*.

The root is not permanent, but for someone with far more experience in android than i, i am sure it could be used to develop a permanent root.

If there are people out there who would like to take this to the next level, send me a pm and ill see about getting you the files to repeat what i have done.

-DerKoch

NOTE:

After reboot when trying to gain elevated privileges on the device i get the error:

link_image[1995]: failed to link su
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE

Could be a useful starting place.

-DK

EDIT:

Nuts to it. The Superoneclick i modified to gain root is now attached. It is only modified for and works in windows as i didnt feel like farting around with the linux version.

Good luck with the permanent root.

-DK

ANOTHER EDIT:

I have updated the post and am including the missing files.

Dont ask where i got them and, as usual, if you screw up your new toy with anything you find here, i am not in any way responsible. Rooting or altering your tablet beyond what is allowed by the eula of your device will almost certainly void your warranty and piss off the people to whom you are trying to return the device once broken beyond your ability to repair.

YOU ARE WARNED

ALSO, It looks like the tablet hardware was designed by innocomm. you can find this if you download the 4431 update from le pan http://www.sendspace.com/file/sunmks . For some reason the firmware update is not openly available...... Well now it is. Just click on the above link and download at your leisure.

the 970 uses the 3e recovery and what looks like a modified 3e or 2e (i cant remember which at the moment) for the firmware update supplied by le pan.

This firmware package contains a MLO file (35.1kB) which i assume is a shell script (although the text encoding eludes me *encrypted maby*), iboot.ism (131.1 kB) which i think it the, you guessed it, bootloader the tablet uses during the flash process, and griffin.ifw (99.1 MB) which is the firmware. There are a whole bunch of apks included as well so non-market apps are enabled by default and you are told to install them after you upgrade the tablet.

all of the documentation for the 970 is written in mandarin, so for all non speakers, good luck with that

I cant seem to decompile griffin.ifw into anything useful, but then again, i am no firmware expert. I am sure some of you would be able to poke around and get it to open-sesamie.

If you are successful, please post how ya done it here so we, myself included, can learn a thing or two.

Best,

DK
Attached Files
File Type: 7z SuperOneClickv2.2-ShortFuse-modForTC970.7z - [Click for QR Code] (1.69 MB, 13174 views)
File Type: 7z LinuxDriver.7z - [Click for QR Code] (798 Bytes, 1163 views)
File Type: 7z WindowsDriver.7z - [Click for QR Code] (5.99 MB, 5298 views)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to DerKoch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DerKoch Ad-Free

Azharlequin
19th November 2011, 08:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Thank you!!
I just wanted to thank you for figuring out as much as you did. I wish I was even on your level but hopefully I will be one day soon. Anyway, you're awesome!

Edit: I was also able to root my le pan tc970 and it is permanent. It got stuck in a rebooting loop but i just hit the reset button on the back and it turned on just fine. I did have to reinstall all my apps as well but everything is fine now so thanks to you and the developers.
20th November 2011, 08:22 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Damn. 147 views and no feedback. Kinda quiet in here .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to DerKoch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DerKoch Ad-Free
20th November 2011, 07:40 PM |#4  

More
DerKoch, how exactly did you get this to run and root?

When I run the SuperOneClick you posted, it stops responding when it tries to restart the adb server and it just hangs...any thoughts?
20th November 2011, 08:35 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Yeah. I forgot to post the other needed files (One might even be able to call them a hardware - software interface if you get my drift. These aren't supposed to be available to the public. ) Im away from my computer, but ill put them up when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
20th November 2011, 08:56 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
hey dadog,

just search the forums for your phone. the answer is out there

PS

be careful about asking questions in the wrong threads (such as this one). people will rip you a new one and you run the risk of having bad things happen.

DK
20th November 2011, 09:12 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Help the community
Hey all,

it comes to my attention that i forgot to post all of the files i have from *somewhere* to make this work. i have what one might call a bleeding heart for people who put themselves at risk to help others and the person who helped me was exceptionally kind in this regard.

please do me a personal favor and call le pan customer support and hound them regarding making the files-who-will-not-be-named publicly available. the phone number is: 1-855-537-2672 (1-855-LePanPC). tell them you are developing software, and have to be able to access the tablet through adb, not just mass storage which regularly fails and screen locks the device. also tell them how disappointed you are with the total inability to use it while it is connected to your computer in mass storage mode, because it constantly chokes on itself and requires a hard reset to get it back up and running. if you are lucky, they might help you out.

if there is enough pressure, i hope these required files will become publicly available and my conscience with releasing these files will become clear.

if you need the other files to get this to work because you are a dev working to open the 970 to comply with the gnu/gpl license they have flaunted by taking the froyo os and NOT RELEASING ANY SOURCE CODE *OR DRIVERS* (GRRRRRRR!!!!), please send me a pm and ill get them to you.

Best

DerKoch
21st November 2011, 11:37 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up Permanent Root - Le Pan TC 970
Thanks again for the drivers. Now that they are public we can post in this thread instead of PM.

In response to your first post, my device seems to be permanently rooted. I have restarted it several times after the initial root and still retain full access to the superuser bin.

Off topic: The USB wall charger just burned out in mine and I've only had it for a day. I'm going to see if Le Pan would just send me a replacement charger instead of having to exchange the whole product with Amazon. I wold like to get some more hands-on time with it.

Other than that charger issue I find it to be a superb tab.

I have no idea why launchers in the market place are blocked on this device but you can get around this by downloading the apk's and manually installing directly on device.
21st November 2011, 03:32 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raden2967

Thanks again for the drivers. Now that they are public we can post in this thread instead of PM.

In response to your first post, my device seems to be permanently rooted. I have restarted it several times after the initial root and still retain full access to the superuser bin.

Off topic: The USB wall charger just burned out in mine and I've only had it for a day. I'm going to see if Le Pan would just send me a replacement charger instead of having to exchange the whole product with Amazon. I wold like to get some more hands-on time with it.

Other than that charger issue I find it to be a superb tab.

I have no idea why launchers in the market place are blocked on this device but you can get around this by downloading the apk's and manually installing directly on device.

How exactly did you get a permanent root? Or more appropriately, what was your process for doing it in the first place?

I cannot seem to get mine to root at all
21st November 2011, 04:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up Succesfully Applied Root to my TC970
Makes tablet that much more awesome. It's one of the few Android tablets with a 9.7" 4:3 ratio screen. But, the stock resolution on this thing is wayyy to big. I set it down to 180 with LCDDensity, and it looks great. Thanks for the awesome help folks.
The Following User Says Thank You to unplugged5150 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift unplugged5150 Ad-Free
21st November 2011, 05:15 PM |#11  

More
nevermind, I got it working. Now all I need to get working is LCDDensity without locking the tablet up on reboot and I'm golden! Thanks a lot guys!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
custom boot animation, le pan, lepan, root, tablet, tc 970

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)