FORUMS

Wifi Tethering / Mobile AP - how many connections?

1,509 posts
Thanks Meter: 450

By sxi200, Senior Member on 20th November 2011, 12:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just wondering if anyone knows how many devices can be connected to the Galaxy S via wireless Mobile AP.

My home 3g router blew up and the replacement pocket wifi is pretty crap.

Currently I can get no more than 2 connections but read somewhere that as many as 5 could be. Maybe different software versions had different settings.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: SORTED. Had an older version of Docs rom 2.2.1 JPY running. Installed a newer JVQ 2.3.4 and was able to connect 5 devices. More than enough

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
21st November 2011, 06:22 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I think I've gotten 3-4, but you need to realise the phone simply isn't designed to work as a dedicated router. The antenna is much smaller (so you'd need to be close by), and the ability to support multiple connections is very limited. Having more than a couple connections is going to cause all the connections to start lagging.
21st November 2011, 07:07 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 450

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsk

I think I've gotten 3-4, but you need to realise the phone simply isn't designed to work as a dedicated router. The antenna is much smaller (so you'd need to be close by), and the ability to support multiple connections is very limited. Having more than a couple connections is going to cause all the connections to start lagging.

I agree its not meant to be used as a dedicated router, but it actually has many advantages.

I actually have 2 and selling 1 isn't going to get me much $ so I want to keep both. I also have no problems getting wifi reception from it as its located centrally in the house, plus the house is not that large. Speed is also excellent.

With the Virgin broadband home router I had for years, it was good but speed was not great (max 3mbps), it wasn't portable and generally lost connection a couple of times a day.

The replacement Virgin pocket wifi, had better speed but lost connection sometimes in under a minute. I had to reconnect it 7 times while trying to pay a bill over the internet even though I've set it to never disconnect. Once it stayed on for over a week but went downhill from there. I received another for free from my provider and same ****.

With the spare galaxy s, its faster than both - it got up to 6mbps and reception is poor at my house. Not once has it dropped network reception as its a phone, its always on power, and I have 3 spare batteries so if I want to take it away with me I can get days of usage without charge.

To me, nothing can beat that. Plus it also doubles as everything else (camera, navigator, tv-out, phone!!!!,etc).

It's a mobile hotspot with tons of advantages. Just got to figure out how to get a couple more connections.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)