FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Noot Tablet - Easy root & Market on MAC (1 download, 1 script to run)

77 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By t-r-i-c-k, Member on 22nd November 2011, 02:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED 12/23
---------------------------
1) Added automatic fixing of devicemanager.apk sql databases to prevent OTA root (thanks for the SQL tweak suggestions, Indirect)
2) Added otaban.sh script for those who are already rooted and just want to tweak the sql databases (you will need to put your device back in USB debug mode)
3) Added getroot.sh to just dump the nook back in to rooted/adb mode

INSTRUCTIONS

(Please follow these to the letter; over 500 people have downloaded this script and very few have reported issues)

On the NOOK
Disconnect from USB
Factory restore & initial setup

Browse to this:
http://goo.gl/vTNpJ
Click on notifications center, wait for the file to finish downloading.
Press on downloaded go_launcher_ex_v2.66.apk file
Select Complete action using package installer
It should say "install blocked"

Press settings
Tick unknown sources (press ok)
Pick Development
Tick USB debugging (press ok)
Tick the other USB debugging further down
Untick Automount
Back/Back

Connect the Nook to the MAC. On the nook you should see "USB debugging connected" in notifications center

On the MAC

Download the nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip file from http://goo.gl/qyYDB
Open Terminal, and change in to the directory where the zip file was downloaded. Unzip and cd in to the directory created. EG:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
unzip nooktablet-mac-root-0.6.zip
cd nooktablet-mac-root-0.6
Start the rooting script:

Code:
./go.sh
Sometimes adb doesn't wake up immediately. Just try go.sh again if it says it can't find your Nook and you are sure it's in debug mode and plugged in properly. Also don't connect via a USB Hub.

When the script is finished, it should say "Done. Unplug from USB now"
The Nook will reboot.

You are now rooted and the following is auto-installed for you

1) Go Launcher Ex (Rooted App Launch/Desktop)
2) Market Place (The Android "App Store")
3) Button Savior (adds tiny button on right of screen for nagivation home/back etc)
4) Home Catcher (makes 2 clicks of the Nook N bring up the new Launcher)
5) Nook Color App Menu (allows you to install sideloaded apps to the Nook home screen/Library)
6) Dolphin HD Browser (Replacement web browser)

In addition, some tweaks have been made to prevent OTA updates from working, preserving your root state.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to t-r-i-c-k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-r-i-c-k Ad-Free

22nd November 2011, 03:14 PM |#2  
NY
Thanks Meter: 0

More
trying this now..

thanks a lot! i spent 2 hours last night trying to get the other method working and it gave me the headache of the gods.

edit: that mediafire link is crawling for me (dl is at like .2kb/s) can anyone mirror it for others who may have similar issues?
22nd November 2011, 05:43 PM |#3  
NW Indiana
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Worked beautifully! Where can I send a donation to?
22nd November 2011, 05:51 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesfan01

Worked beautifully! Where can I send a donation to?

Tempting and appreciated as that is, there is no neeed. Good luck,

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t-r-i-c-k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-r-i-c-k Ad-Free
22nd November 2011, 08:02 PM |#5  
NY

More
i can confirm this works guys

yes.. someone please start a thread and aggregate donations for some roms on this bad boy.
22nd November 2011, 09:29 PM |#6  
NW Indiana
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-r-i-c-k

Tempting and appreciated as that is, there is no neeed. Good luck,

You are a good man. Thanks again for all of your help and great work. You're an invaluable asset to this community.

23rd November 2011, 01:27 AM |#7  

More
Thanks for the tutorial. It works extremely well!
23rd November 2011, 02:52 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
This worked great, thanks!

I had one minor glitch. I was doing this on an old MBP running Leopard and for whatever reason it wouldn't create the ~/.android directory when I ran the script.

I created the directory manually and re-ran the script and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!
23rd November 2011, 03:49 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubr

This worked great, thanks!

I had one minor glitch. I was doing this on an old MBP running Leopard and for whatever reason it wouldn't create the ~/.android directory when I ran the script.

I created the directory manually and re-ran the script and it worked perfectly! Thanks again!

Ah, I just looked at the script, I realized now I missed out the mkdir -p ~/.android in it, hence your issue. I will likely fix that and update the script/zip file when I get a minute.

I'm currently considering whether to make the script install busybox at the moment. I don't really need it myself, but I see other people might.

Part of the problem is that if I develop the script any further I ought to test it before releasing it... but I really don't want to keep re-rooting my nook. I want to actually use the damn thing!!
The Following User Says Thank You to t-r-i-c-k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t-r-i-c-k Ad-Free
23rd November 2011, 04:18 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-r-i-c-k

Part of the problem is that if I develop the script any further I ought to test it before releasing it... but I really don't want to keep re-rooting my nook. I want to actually use the damn thing!!

I totally get that. I had just gotten done side-loading tons of stuff and getting my launcher screens setup the way I wanted and then I saw your script and thought about it for a day before breaking down and wiping my NT and starting over.

It was worth it! Thanks again!
23rd November 2011, 04:33 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I'm confused... rooting on PC using other method didn't work for me and now I'm stumped on Mac as well.

This part stumped me:

unzip it
cd in to nooktablet-mac-root-0.4 directory
mkdir -p ~/.android
./go.sh

Can someone explain the steps in greater detail? I tried runing the adb fiel via terminal, it goes through the script but does nothing on installing files to the device.

Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)