FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] GPS Navigation with TetherGPS

99 posts
Thanks Meter: 56

By lionclaw, Member on 25th November 2011, 04:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The one thing keeping TetherGPS from working on the Kindle Fire is the missing development options in the settings menu, specifically the "Enable Mock Locations" option. You can however enable it manually.

UPDATED 9/9/2012

This post originally used Zergrush to root, but that no longer works with the latest updated software from Amazon. Check the development section to find the latest rooting information.

1. Root your Kindle Fire.

2. Obtain/install ADB, sqlite3, and the KF USB drivers. Make sure the KF shows up when you execute the command "adb devices" from a terminal.

3. Execute the following in a terminal window:

Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
copy settings.db settings.bak
sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='mock_location';"
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb reboot
4. After the KF restarts you are set! Connect your KF to your phone's wifi, launch the TetherGPS server on your phone, and launch the TetherGPS client on your KF. Install Google Maps/Earth or any other GPS-consuming app and you should be good to go.

Alternative Method: Purchase Root Explorer from the Play Store on your rooted KF. Use Root Explorer and sqlite editor to open /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db and change 'mock_location' from '0' to '1'. Restart your KF.

Demo Video:

Thanks goes to ros87 for posting this method for the Nook Touch here.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lionclaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lionclaw Ad-Free
25th November 2011, 11:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
This looks like it would work. I think I'll try it after you make the video since I'm more of a video person.
26th November 2011, 01:22 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Post updated with simpler instructions. I wrote a batch file and included the files necessary to complete this procedure.

Demo video is also posted!

This is now a very easy process, and does not require that your device remain rooted. Google Maps is super smooth on the KF!
The Following User Says Thank You to lionclaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lionclaw Ad-Free
26th November 2011, 03:11 AM |#4  

More
Would it be possible to tether a Garmin GPS to the KFire?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
26th November 2011, 04:46 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is awesome! Now if we can get the Bluetooth working on the KF then I can use my BT GPS. For now this will work!
26th November 2011, 04:53 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Getting BT working would really be the icing on the cake, or perhaps the ice cream on my sandwich

For most people, you're going to have to tether to your phone to get internet access anyway, so using TetherGPS saves you from having a third device.

Target has the LG Optimus V for $50 right now. I believe it's a Fri/Sat sale only. It's a pre-paid phone for Virgin Mobile, but you don't need to activate it. You can root the device and install android-wifi-tether and TetherGPS, and use it as a GPS puck.
26th November 2011, 10:53 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I've had the same "Mock" issue yesterday, today I've found your guide and it solved my problem immediately, many thanks!
27th November 2011, 05:00 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
I recorded two more demo videos today with the Kindle Fire running aviation mapping and navigation software (AviationMaps and Naviator).

27th November 2011, 05:27 AM |#9  

More
Can you also record a how-to video?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium
27th November 2011, 07:35 AM |#10  
Flag Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
Thanks Meter: 609

More
I have ADB working fine, but when I run the batch file it just keeps saying " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".
27th November 2011, 07:40 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiarailroader

I have ADB working fine, but when I run the batch file it just keeps saying " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

You need to put the platform-tools folder in your system's PATH variable, or you can drop the files from the zip into the platform-tools folder and run the batch file there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lionclaw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lionclaw Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)