FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Bionic screen repair

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By chadbh74, Member on 26th November 2011, 04:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok, had a great Thanksgiving until I dropped my Bionic on concrete outside. I guess it landed on the top corner where the power button is, the glass is smashed there and partially missing with major cracks going downwards over half the screen. Miraculously, the LCD display itself is undamaged, only the outer glass. Also the digitizer is still functional. I researched the parts and found that the digitizer and outer glass are one piece on top of the LCD. I couldn't locate any teardown video showing how to take these things apart properly but I did find photos and a new digitizer/glass assembly on E-bay for only $35 bucks. I had sucessfully replaced one of these on a motorola Cliq and figured the Bionic should be easier since it lacks the sliding keyboard. I took a T5 driver and seperation tool and had it disassembeled in 5 minutes. I love how easy it is! I reassembled it until the new screen arrives, hopefully this week.

Since I couldn't find a video of the teardown (and assuming no one else has either) I would be willing to video the job when I replace the screen IF there is sufficient interest.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Ok, heres the video of the teardown and replacement I did. Enjoy!
Part 1 (Teardown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPLk2XNYxs
Part 2 (Re-assembly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CMXcVweRU
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chadbh74 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chadbh74 Ad-Free

26th November 2011, 05:16 PM |#2  
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 62

More
I would love to see a tear down video. Also where are you getting the replacement parts?
26th November 2011, 05:30 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Check ebay for "Bionic digitizer"

26th November 2011, 08:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
+1 on the video. It would be very helpful.
26th November 2011, 10:19 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Ok, I will post a vid to YouTube when the digitizer arrives and post the link in this thread

26th November 2011, 10:43 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I cracked my bionic glass last weekend and just got my replacement screen.

I'm about ready to dig in to fix it, but in reading repair guides for other phones, it appears that the LCD could be glued to the glass. When you had yours open, did you see if the LCD is glued to the glass/digitizer assembly on the Bionic? I'm hesitant to open it up until I know since its still working with the cracks.

I paid $50 at Dealsishop and it came in 7 days.

Love to see your repair guide.
The Following User Says Thank You to pasp10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pasp10 Ad-Free
27th November 2011, 12:01 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
Here you guys go. The glass is not fused to the lcd fyi. Not a video but looks easy enough.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motor...eardown/6449/1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoBears For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoBears Ad-Free
27th November 2011, 01:35 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks - the iFixit teardown was very helpful.
I finished and it works!
My only question is that the glass was stuck to the frame with a thin double stick tape. I tried to re-use it, but there were multiple gasket type shapes that didn't keep their shapes. What do people use for this material?
27th November 2011, 03:11 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasp10

I cracked my bionic glass last weekend and just got my replacement screen.

I'm about ready to dig in to fix it, but in reading repair guides for other phones, it appears that the LCD could be glued to the glass. When you had yours open, did you see if the LCD is glued to the glass/digitizer assembly on the Bionic? I'm hesitant to open it up until I know since its still working with the cracks.

I paid $50 at Dealsishop and it came in 7 days.

Love to see your repair guide.

I tore down the phone once, everything but taking the glass out of the frame. The LCD was NOT stuck to the glass/digitizer. The only adhesive material I encountered was the large sticker with the IMEI numbers and such in the battery compartment. That thing actually causes the back piece and underlying piece to stick together. Felt like I was going to bend the pieces when I tried separating them because of that sticker, so I just removed the sticker first and was a lot easier.
27th November 2011, 03:33 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasp10

Thanks - the iFixit teardown was very helpful.
I finished and it works!
My only question is that the glass was stuck to the frame with a thin double stick tape. I tried to re-use it, but there were multiple gasket type shapes that didn't keep their shapes. What do people use for this material?

Well I only payed $35 for mine on E-Bay, they say it's OEM part and all, lets hope its the real deal. Also, atleast in the photo, it LOOKS like it includes the entire piece, the frame around the glass and all. Did you get something a little different? Could be the photo is misleading on the E-Bay item too...we will find out soon enough.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200671887593
27th November 2011, 04:36 PM |#11  
Flag Maple Shade/Collingswood/Cherry Hill
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Never broke any screens but +1000 for helping community! Your services wont go unapeiciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)