FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Odin stuck at zImage, phone is..dead?

127 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By HanMan5000, Senior Member on 27th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

After seeing my friends phone, I was convinced rooting is awesome. Today I finally got the time to go ahead and attempt to root my phone, however I've ran into some not so pleasant problems..

I am using Odin3 v1.85 and kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5

I run odin, select the PDA file, then click start. However, then, I get stuck at zImage. I've let it sit for a very long time, it won't continue. I do not have Kies processes, and I have already tried unplugging everything.

If I keep waiting, eventually my Samsung Epic 4G screen just turns off..

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> kernel-GB-3a.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> zImage

I need my phone ASAP, and I have no clue why this isn't working. Can someone please provide help?

27th November 2011, 08:11 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Try disabling your firewall and anti virus. Some block the network traffic used.
27th November 2011, 08:18 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmikey1969

Try disabling your firewall and anti virus. Some block the network traffic used.

Thanks for your post, but everything is already disabled. I disabled windows firewall and the problem persists.. :/

I tried turning my phone on normally, that's not working anymore.
27th November 2011, 09:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 123

More
If you can still get to the download screen your phone can still be flashed. Common issues are usb cable bad download and odin can just be a bitch sometimes.

When I first started I found only one of the three cables I have would actually work.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philowneus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift philowneus Ad-Free
27th November 2011, 10:59 PM |#5  
Flag Longview, TX
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowneus

If you can still get to the download screen your phone can still be flashed. Common issues are usb cable bad download and odin can just be a bitch sometimes.

When I first started I found only one of the three cables I have would actually work.

I can back up all of this! As long as you can get into "Download Mode" (hold the [1] key, press & hold [Power] key to boot into Download Mode) you can still recover your phone.

Also, for whatever reason, the Epic and/or Odin are extremely picky about your USB connection.* Make sure you use good cables (I got one from Radio Shack that has worked well) and you may need to try other USB ports on your computer. Be sure to experiment with these two possible fixes, even if your cable and USB ports work for other purposes.

* My guess would be that the USB controller built into the phone is not very robust--poor error control or something.
28th November 2011, 12:03 AM |#6  
Flag Sacramento, CA
Thanks Meter: 424

Donate to Me
More
First off what was your phone on to begin with? Firmware? Modem?

Also I don't know what Tar file that is but when I root I always like to start with a Deodexed stock rooted rom that will included everything you need. It seems like your just tring to flash a kernel which unfortunetly won't work. I can post a link to the right file if you want me to. Also once in download mode don't forget to ONLY check "auto reboot". I know usb cords like stated previously can cause issues but from what you said it seems like you haven't set it up correctly. There are a lot of people on here willing to help including myself if you have questions

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to travmofosho For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift travmofosho Ad-Free
28th November 2011, 01:24 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Okay everyone, thank you for the replies. I will provide some more information.

My phone is: Samsung Epic 4G (Not epic 4g touch).

I was running EI22, gingerbread, before I attempted this.

Yes, I can still get to the downloading screen .

I was using that tar file because I was following this /watch?v=kwFRzzIqouE

I did only check Auto Reboot, but it still didn't work.. I guess I will try another USB cable. If you guys think the method I am following is bad, please point me in the right direction. travismoreno it would be great if you could do that fo rme.
The Following User Says Thank You to HanMan5000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HanMan5000 Ad-Free
28th November 2011, 01:28 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Okay, WOW. I just used my brothers HTC Evo cable and it worked.

Alright, I used odin to get back to 05, then I applied my EI22 update.zip. Back on EI22. Can anyone point me in the right direction for rooting?
28th November 2011, 01:54 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Okay guys, success . I'm rooted, and I have Superuser now.

What's next? Custom roms? I can start installing custom roms now right? How do I do that? And are there any good ones for Samsung EPic 4G?
28th November 2011, 02:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 469

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanMan5000

Okay guys, success . I'm rooted, and I have Superuser now.

What's next? Custom roms? I can start installing custom roms now right? How do I do that? And are there any good ones for Samsung EPic 4G?

Search qbking in youtube and you'll learn everything you need to know about the ei22 roms and how to flash them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to masaidjet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift masaidjet Ad-Free
28th November 2011, 02:59 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaidjet

Search qbking in youtube and you'll learn everything you need to know about the ei22 roms and how to flash them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Thank you. I actually just installed the Urban Precision mod by computerkid23 . It's such a great rom! I'm enjoying this very much. I tried posting in the topic to thanks and give a few suggestions however I can't post in that section due to not have 10 posts.

I wish I rooted earlier, this certainly has brought my little epic back to life .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)