[MOD] xt720mod sbf. read all thread before you do anything

Search This thread

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
linkthanks go to mioze7Ae/brianlili/mchlbenner/J.Y.Daddy/fifalcon.
Please give feedback.
P.S. THIS SBF NOT MEANT TO BOOT.

download OR.rar and apply it first its your open recovery make sure you move your updates to it.
delete your present open recovery or move off main sdcard.

xt720mod sbf. it will not work on cm6.

this has up to 250 mb internal storage depending what rom your using. this sbf doest boot use it to get to open recovery.
how to get to recovery simple go to moto stock recovery and click update.zip it will take you to open recovery.

their a bootfix for cm7 ours.
their a bootfix for JY.Daddys cm7 and miui ics.

let me know if links don't work or any other problem.

DONT FLASH SBF FIRST.
yesterday i spent about 6 hour with bravo trying to get a sensor fix but did not I will trying to get a fix for all

Attachments

• OR.rar
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,718
  • update-MilestoneXT720-cm7-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
    544.7 KB · Views: 524
  • update-MilestoneXT720-JY.Daddy-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
    544.7 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
I have been running this for a few weeks and it is great. The recovery is what the Milestone A853 people call a "vulnerable recovery". This means that the Motorola stock recovery in the sbf has a security vulnerability--it does *not* check that update.zip has been signed by Motorola before applying it (on all the others it does check that). Also like mchlbenner says, the /data partition is much larger (256mb)--actual amount free after boot will depend on the ROM's configuration. To reiterate the wonkyness:
  • You MUST prepare your sdcard with the OpenRecovery before flashing (or you will be forced to put your sdcard in a computer). You must have /sdcard/update.zip from OR.rar and an update or nandroid to apply.
  • After you flash the sbf, it will not boot anything except Motorola stock recovery until you get into OpenRecovery (from stock recovery) and flash a ROM.
  • The rotation sensor is somehow rotated by 90 degrees. mchlbenner's bootfixes fix that for Gingerbread ROMs. We don't have a fix for eclair or froyo (yet?).

Last edited:

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Hi could you post link to xt720mod sbf mine will not work.
I flashed clockwork mod and it worked!
Sent from my XT720 using xda premium

Last edited:

thejaycan

Mar 11, 2010
Seattle
OnePlus Nord N200 5G
I have been running this for a few weeks and it is great. The recovery is what the Milestone A853 people call a "vulnerable recovery". This means that the Motorola stock recovery in the sbf has a security vulnerability--it does *not* check that update.zip has been signed by Motorola before applying it (on all the others it does check that). Also like mchlbenner says, the /data partition is much larger (256mb)--actual amount free after boot will depend on the ROM's configuration. To reiterate the wonkyness:
  • You MUST prepare your sdcard with the OpenRecovery before flashing (or you will be forced to put your sdcard in a computer). You must have /sdcard/update.zip from OR.rar and an update or nandroid to apply.
  • After you flash the sbf, it will not boot anything except Motorola stock recovery until you get into OpenRecovery (from stock recovery) and flash a ROM.
  • The rotation sensor is somehow rotated by 90 degrees. mchlbenner's bootfixes fix that for Gingerbread ROMs. We don't have a fix for eclair or froyo (yet?).

So, I'm a bit confused on what all this means. I understand the part about the /data partition being larger, but is that at the expense of the /cache partition? Also, as I understand it the Clockwork Mod is the equivalent of AOR, is this correct? What is the benefit of CWM vs AOR?

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
So, I'm a bit confused on what all this means. I understand the part about the /data partition being larger, but is that at the expense of the /cache partition?

Both the /system and /cache partitions are slightly smaller (the partition layout is the same as the Motoroi 50R froyo sbf, but this uses a Milestone XT720 kernel instead of a Motoroi kernel). The other implication is that if you are running this sbf, you will always be able to enter OR (assuming you have a valid sdcard). With other sbf's if you do something to make your system unbootable and you can't re-enter OpenRecovery, your *only* option is to flash sbf. In other words, a bootstrap recovery is not needed with this sbf.

Also, as I understand it the Clockwork Mod is the equivalent of AOR, is this correct? What is the benefit of CWM vs AOR?

I have not tried the clockworkmod. Mostly because I haven't had time to study it, but I have studied AOR. So for me at least it's more of a devil-I-know sort of thing at the moment.

Last edited:

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Hi
I'm using clockwork mod and I'm using minimod recovery I prefer are recovery.
Rom manager is oka but if you flash cm7 with it you only have edge not 3g I could not fix this issue yet.
I would recommend to stay with are open recovery for know.

Reactions: Mioze7Ae

S7icky

Jun 23, 2011
I Know this is prob a stupid question... But are there any performance increases with this? or just more space? and always be able to get into OR?

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
The answer is yes less on sdcard will help with performance that's my opion.
I personal have got better performance on this sbf.

Reactions: S7icky

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
The plan is it to get it work on cm6 and eclair but I have searching for this fix but I not found it yet their must be a fix will find it.

drx64

Apr 2, 2009
Paris
Xiaomi Poco F3
HI.

First off all, thanx for this.

SBF is installed, and flashed with J.Y.Daddy CM 7.1.1 with bootfix.

I'm actually restoring all my apps, will let you know if it's good or not. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Just for the fun, and because it's not really simple, here is the way to use this SBF.

Prepare you're SDCARD:

• Copy the content of AO.rar from the first post to your sdcard
    be sure to get a valid rom update in your sdcard/OpenRecovery/updates directory.

(I personnaly used CM 7.1.1 from J.Y.Daddy)

Flash your phone:

• Boot your phone in flash mode (power + cam key)
  • Flash your phone using rsd lite and the xt720-2.1-mod.sbf file
  • After succesfull flash, restart your phone by pressing Power key + Camera Key + GalleryKey to bring up the recovery screen.
Don't wait for your phone to boot! This SBF can't!
  • When the Triangle/Exclamation point screen appears, press Volume Up + Gallery Key down and tap the camera key to show the recovery menu.
  • Apply the update.zip to get the OpenRecovery menu
  • Apply your ROM update
  • Apply the fix for your rom provided in the first post
  • Wipe data / cache / dalvik
  • Reboot

Enjoy.

Last edited:

B_e_n

Aug 16, 2010
Paris
I m flashing it for the third time and it don t boot after the rsdlite flash....
It stay with the motorola logo for a long long time (i m waiting for about 10minutes now...)
Anyone had this problem? I think i m gonna try to go to the moto recovery without waiting for the first boot

edit it works without waiting for the first boot... Sorry

Last edited:

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
I m flashing it for the third time and it don t boot after the rsdlite flash....
It stay with the motorola logo for a long long time (i m waiting for about 10minutes now...)
Anyone had this problem? I think i m gonna try to go to the moto recovery without waiting for the first boot

edit it works without waiting for the first boot... Sorry
thats whats supposed to happen isnt it? you have to go straight to moto recovery, select update.zip. and that will bring u to the custom AOR, and from there, u can flash the rom that u want, and apply the bootfix.

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
Hi mchlbenner... nice to finally see something from you (not forgetting the help from the other devs). this modded sbf thing is really cool, hope to see more improvements, it would be awesome if there were fixes for the simpler roms (2.1 and 2.2)! keep the good work up!

Reactions: mchlbenner

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
can you post the kernel cmdline?
/proc/cmdline

console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=ttyMTD10 rw mem=244M@0x80C00000 init=/init ip=off brdrev=P3_TABLET_SKT androidboot.bootloader=0x0000 mtdparts=omap2-nand.0:1536k@2176k(pds),384k@4480k(cid),640k@6784k(logo),384k(misc),3584k(boot)ro,4608k@15232k(recovery),8960k(cdrom),173696k@29184k(system),50m@203264k(cache),265344k(userdata),1536k(cust),2m@521728k(kpanic)

The boot.img is identical to the one in the UK and Central Europe SBFs:

eff22955e8e91eb19545a3af39973934 xt720-2.1-mod/CG35.img
eff22955e8e91eb19545a3af39973934 STR_U2_01.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_UCASHOTBRTLRTCEE_P001/boot.img
eff22955e8e91eb19545a3af39973934 STR_U2_01.1E.0/GAS_EMEA_UCASHOTBRTLRTGB_P021/boot.img

uname: Linux version 2.6.29-omap1 (a24124@zin22lnx05) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 13 17:19:35 IST 2010

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    linkthanks go to mioze7Ae/brianlili/mchlbenner/J.Y.Daddy/fifalcon.
    Please give feedback.
    P.S. THIS SBF NOT MEANT TO BOOT.

download OR.rar and apply it first its your open recovery make sure you move your updates to it.
    delete your present open recovery or move off main sdcard.

xt720mod sbf. it will not work on cm6.

this has up to 250 mb internal storage depending what rom your using. this sbf doest boot use it to get to open recovery.
    how to get to recovery simple go to moto stock recovery and click update.zip it will take you to open recovery.

their a bootfix for cm7 ours.
    their a bootfix for JY.Daddys cm7 and miui ics.

let me know if links don't work or any other problem.

DONT FLASH SBF FIRST.
    yesterday i spent about 6 hour with bravo trying to get a sensor fix but did not I will trying to get a fix for all
    A method to fix sensors (froyo and gingerbread)

THIS IS OUTDATED: DON'T USE IT
    SEE POST #59

It turns out there are two parts to the kernel: boot.img and also devtree.img.

Both are signature checked at boot and cannot be modified directly. devtree.img contains driver information it's not mounted on a running system as a filesystem, but it seems to be mapped into the running kernel's memory space. devtree is used by *both* the boot.img and stock recovery.img's kernels. However recovery.img seems to be more sensitive to tampering with devtree.img--I can't get mismatched recovery.img and devtree.img to boot at all. But: mismatched boot.img and devtree.img can boot fine but some sensors are wacky. We've dealt with that to some extent on CM7 by reversing the wackyness in source (essentially: two wackys make a right). But looking at the contents of devtree.img, I think there are probably other problems that we haven't noticed yet--I have suspected the light sensor was also behaving a little wacky but it could have been my imagination.

The modified sbf here has two features: (1) the improved partitioning and (2) the exploitable stock recovery. We need the exploitable stock recovery because modsbf won't boot after RDS/sbf_flash. After we've flashed a good system we can then rely on the bootstrap recovery instead of the stock recovery exploit. But the first nandroid/update install must go via the stock recovery in order to be able to use the improved partitioning.

I don't know where the exploitable recovery comes from, but it is paired with a Korean devtree.img, so in order to get into the exploitable stock recovery, we have to use a Korean devtree.img. But to get working sensors we have to use a Milestone XT720 boot.img. The modsbf has the UK Milestone XT720 boot.img. That obviously doesn't match the devtree.img used by the exploitable stock recovery.img so we have some residual sensor issues (such as screen orientation being off by 90-degrees).

To fix the sensors we need to then flash a Milestone XT720 devtree.img. This will fix the sensors, but it breaks the exploitable stock recovery (since Motoroi XT720 stock recovery.img + Milestone XT720 devtree.img doesn't work: black screen, instant reboot). Once we have a system that can boot into bootstrapped recovery, we actually don't have to care about the exploitable recovery any more. We could just ignore that the recovery is broken. But when we're flashing the Milestone XT720 devtree, we might as well flash the corresponding stock recovery.img just so that stock recovery works at least for wipes etc.

So, it's a little convoluted but you end up with working sensors and 259MB internal storage.

Now, what happens if you break bootstrap recovery? You're back to sbf right and a whole mess of stuff. Nope, you only have to reflash the exploitable recovery.img+corresponding devtree.img and you can get back into OR again from stock recovery (assuming your sdcard is still set up appropriately). That's the new worst case scenario.

Ok, but problem: I tried updating devtree this over an existing CM6 install. It was very unhappy and bootanim started to spaz. I had to factory reset, so there's probably something in /data that needs to be transitioned from a running system but I don't know what that is. Possibly the sensorfix which was installed already before I changed devtree doesn't play nice with working sensors.

In summary for advanced tweakers:

1. Prepare sdcard for exploitable stock recovery
    2. RSD/sbf_flash xt720mod.sbf
    3. Boot into stock recovery and apply update.zip to enter OpenRecovery
    4. Install a ROM
    5. Reboot and enter openrecovery by holding the volume up key to verify that the bootstrap recovery is working
    6. RSD/sbf_flash xt720mod_part2.sbf (attached)
    7. Factory reset (may have to use stock recovery but bootstrap recovery should work)
    8. Reboot

After you've reached this point, you're essentially entirely on the UK sbf but with a bigger /data and smaller /system,/cache so no sensor fixes are needed. If you use this method and install a Motoroi ROM (e.g. J.Y. Daddy's or tiger2wander's) you still would need to install the regular Milestone XT720 bootfix.

The other thing to be aware of is that /system is smaller than usual--it's 173MB instead of 204MB. So some ROMs may need to be pruned to fit. And /cache is quite a bit smaller too, so ROMs that use the memhack (dalvik-cache on /cache) will have problems (CM 6.3.6.1 is odex'ed so it shouldn't be a problem and I think fjfalcon's recent CM7 builds don't use memhack).

TL;DR This wall of text worked for me on CM 6.3.6.1 to fix sensors. If you actually TL;DR'd this, don't you dare.
    It looks like I will have to do a video on this tonight.
    HI.

First off all, thanx for this.

SBF is installed, and flashed with J.Y.Daddy CM 7.1.1 with bootfix.

I'm actually restoring all my apps, will let you know if it's good or not. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Just for the fun, and because it's not really simple, here is the way to use this SBF.

Prepare you're SDCARD:

• Copy the content of AO.rar from the first post to your sdcard
      be sure to get a valid rom update in your sdcard/OpenRecovery/updates directory.

(I personnaly used CM 7.1.1 from J.Y.Daddy)

Flash your phone:

• Boot your phone in flash mode (power + cam key)
    • Flash your phone using rsd lite and the xt720-2.1-mod.sbf file
    • After succesfull flash, restart your phone by pressing Power key + Camera Key + GalleryKey to bring up the recovery screen.
    Don't wait for your phone to boot! This SBF can't!
    • When the Triangle/Exclamation point screen appears, press Volume Up + Gallery Key down and tap the camera key to show the recovery menu.
    • Apply the update.zip to get the OpenRecovery menu
    • Apply your ROM update
    • Apply the fix for your rom provided in the first post
    • Wipe data / cache / dalvik
    • Reboot

Enjoy.