FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

remove branding??

176 posts
Thanks Meter: 9
 
By monkeytown, Senior Member on 29th November 2011, 08:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
hey, since the branded lumia is like € 80-85 less than an unbranded one, is it possible to remove the branding yet?
 
 
29th November 2011, 10:03 AM |#2  
sonydesouza's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Not sure it's possible for now..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
29th November 2011, 09:15 PM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
The branding only has two annoyances:
- The first boot screen has the MO logo (it boots very fast so this is not a big issue)
- If your MO is T-Mobile DE (or is just as stupid) then you'll NOT have the Nokia Blue accent color, but an ugly pink/magenta color option. But you'll still have the gray one.

As soon as there are ROMs for the Lumia you'll probably be able to remove the branding.
30th November 2011, 08:02 PM |#4  
Ikkari's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
I also have a branded one... you can deinstall all provider apps that is a Microsoft requirement. The only thing is a short boot logo from t-mobile....

But times changed it's not always the best option to have a unbranded phone...

My Samsung Omnia 7 for example has been unbranded....
The branded versions of different providers had the Internet sharing update...
while the unbranded version of Samsung Omnia 7 had no Internet sharing update...
30th November 2011, 09:12 PM |#5  
sonydesouza's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 162
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkari

I also have a branded one... you can deinstall all provider apps that is a Microsoft requirement. The only thing is a short boot logo from t-mobile....

But times changed it's not always the best option to have a unbranded phone...

My Samsung Omnia 7 for example has been unbranded....
The branded versions of different providers had the Internet sharing update...
while the unbranded version of Samsung Omnia 7 had no Internet sharing update...

Yeah you're lucky though..

In France, branded versions are really bad...
1st December 2011, 02:19 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
More
- To bypass your carrier when updates become available from either Microsoft and/or your device manufacturer a registery key needs to be altered*. To do this just erase the following key which holds your carrier name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Platform\DeviceTargeting Info\MobileOperator. Please write down the current value in case you want to revert back to the current situation. Unfortunately there is no way to edit the registry on the Lumia 800 yet because registry editing requires interop unlock which is not yet done for the lumia.

- The bootscreen can only be editted by flashing a new ROM as the boot animation is a ROM file and cannot be overwritten, even if we had interop unlock. As of today there is no unbranded ROM released, let alone a tool to flash the Nokia with it.

- You should be able to uninstall the operator specific apps as this is a requirement from Microsoft to which cariers have to apply.

I hope the first two will be possible in the future.

* source: http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...dates-03-28-11
3rd December 2011, 09:42 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Bayonne
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briefcase

- To bypass your carrier when updates become available from either Microsoft and/or your device manufacturer a registery key needs to be altered*. To do this just erase the following key which holds your carrier name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Platform\DeviceTargeting Info\MobileOperator. Please write down the current value in case you want to revert back to the current situation. Unfortunately there is no way to edit the registry on the Lumia 800 yet because registry editing requires interop unlock which is not yet done for the lumia.

- The bootscreen can only be editted by flashing a new ROM as the boot animation is a ROM file and cannot be overwritten, even if we had interop unlock. As of today there is no unbranded ROM released, let alone a tool to flash the Nokia with it.

- You should be able to uninstall the operator specific apps as this is a requirement from Microsoft to which cariers have to apply.

I hope the first two will be possible in the future.

* source: http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...dates-03-28-11

Maybe we're able to do that..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=893152

10th December 2011, 09:36 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
You can download the unbranded rom for the Nokia Lumia 800 in cab form from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1306415
The Following User Says Thank You to mickfarr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mickfarr Ad-Free
11th December 2011, 10:59 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfarr

You can download the unbranded rom for the Nokia Lumia 800 in cab form from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1306415

I'm new to WP7, so does the descriped install/deploy steps in the above thread work with the Lumia 800?

I can buy a T-MO branded phone but I dont want any operator customization, especially that it removed the Nokia Blue "skin".

SO I first need to know if I can remove the branding before buying.
11th December 2011, 07:47 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 30
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_

I'm new to WP7, so does the descriped install/deploy steps in the above thread work with the Lumia 800?

I can buy a T-MO branded phone but I dont want any operator customization, especially that it removed the Nokia Blue "skin".

SO I first need to know if I can remove the branding before buying.

Yes it does work on the Nokia Lumia
12th December 2011, 12:27 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfarr

Yes it does work on the Nokia Lumia

Okey, can someone please write down exactly how to do this on a Lumia 800 branded with T-mobile DE? I don't understand if I should do all steps since I just want to flash the generic rom, not change language or anything.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes