FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Galaxy Note not waking up?

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

Post Reply Email Thread
I can't put my finger on this issue I've been having with my Note.
Don't get me wrong, this device is a godsend!

The problem I've been having is that sometimes when I take my Note out of my pocket and try to press the unlock or menu button it doesn't show anything on the screen. I've read about people having issues with delay before it pops up, but it doesn't pop up even after 10 seconds or a minute, it feels like the device 'hangs' or doesn't want to wake up. The only way I can turn the phone on again is by pressing the unlock button for like 10 seconds and the phone reboots.

I thought it was a problem with Green Power, I thought it maybe had issues turning off the wifi or data when the screen was locked and that the service would cause the OS to crash or 'hang'. When I look at my battery history after the reboot it shows that I lost a significant amount of battery (5-15%, depending on how long it took for me to 'discover' the crash) and there's a 'jump' in the graph.

Things I've tried:
Stock rom - problem persists
Different kernels - tried all the kernels available in the market including stock, problem persists
Add a bit of paper between back-cover and battery (to make sure it doesn't lose contact)
Checked if there was dust between battery connections
Tried different sim card
Tried disabling wifi and data all day (mysteriously persists)
DIfferent governors (ondemand and interactive) (the phone reverts to default governor after the forced reboot, normal? i have my phone set to interactive on boot, but somehow it skips that after the forced reboot)

I've attached a picture of the battery graph. According to the stats there's a 25 minute gap where the phone was 'stuck' and you can see that the screen was on and active for that duration.

There are NO funny apps running in the background, this is is a clean install with some standard Samsung apps frozen.

tl;dr version: phone randomly won't wake up; battery loss after forced reboot;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	798944  

29th November 2011, 02:54 PM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Lommel

Donate to Me
More
I might have found the issue myself. Now when I come to think of it, I think it always occurs after I've been in my car for like a 30 min drive... Maybe the phone is having trouble switching networks? Anyone know what might be causing this?

Or better yet, how can I research this issue? Can I enable some logging somewhere to track this?
29th November 2011, 03:22 PM |#3  
Flag Middlesex
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I had the note for about 10 days and today, about 1 hour ago it happened to me for the first time. I tried the home button to wake the screen but nothing, tried the power , nothing and holding the power but nothing happened. I had to pull the battery.
29th November 2011, 03:34 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
I had this problem in the beginning, but no more.

It's one of two things, in my case. Restoring apps (with data) from Titaium backup, or SetCPU or both. Do a factory reset, reinstall apps without data. If using setCPU, disable it for a while to see if it happens again. It's been over a week and the problem is gone.
29th November 2011, 03:47 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Lommel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarian

I had this problem in the beginning, but no more.

It's one of two things, in my case. Restoring apps (with data) from Titaium backup, or SetCPU or both. Do a factory reset, reinstall apps without data. If using setCPU, disable it for a while to see if it happens again. It's been over a week and the problem is gone.

I was using System Tuner instead of SetCPU to freeze apps and change governor, maybe I've just been using the wrong app? I deleted it just in case. Will see if the problem persists, thanks!

The nasty thing about it is that it seems to happen randomly (but it most likely doesn't) and is pretty rare (happens once every 3 days).

Still, I don't like the fact of not being available for X amount of time, even if it's 30 minutes.
29th November 2011, 04:34 PM |#6  
Flag Middlesex
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I'm on stock room and unrooted. Like I said first time it's happened.
29th November 2011, 04:43 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
i've had the GNote since 4 days now , and yesterday same thing happened as the device was in my pocket and i couldnt wake it up at all , battery pull solved it.
im on stock , non rooted
29th November 2011, 06:46 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Lommel

Donate to Me
More
I can't believe that we are the only ones with this issue. Anyone else? OR better yet, how did you resolve it?
29th November 2011, 08:08 PM |#9  
Flag memphis, tn
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Dont know if this is the same issue as the streak had, but with the streak if you kept it your pocket with the screen facing your body this would sometimes happen. Flipping it so that it that the screen doesnt face your body in your pocket solved this issue.
29th November 2011, 08:19 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Lommel

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkla79

Dont know if this is the same issue as the streak had, but with the streak if you kept it your pocket with the screen facing your body this would sometimes happen. Flipping it so that it that the screen doesnt face your body in your pocket solved this issue.

Thanks for your reply. I did some research, and apparently it had to do with static being built up in the screen from wearing it towards your body in your pocket.

This issue was that you couldn't swipe the lockscreen cause the touch screen wouldn't respond. The problem we are having is that the screen won't even turn on and that the system locks up.
5th December 2011, 07:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same issue here with my 2 days old Galaxy Note, that's how I found this forum. In my case it went from not waking up occasionally to every time WIFI was ON (I did some experimenting with settings to see which one could be the one causing the problem). But then...occasionally it would not wake up even with WIFI OFF: very annoying. And this is my first Android, so I didn't have any custom anything, pretty much same as out of the box when I got it The only solution was to reset the handset. And definitely has nothing to do with having it in my pocket as I don't carry it in my pocket. Rang Samsung, they told me it was faulty, I returned it. Now I'm concern the next one is going to have screen issues? As so many people complain in this forum? we'll see.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)