FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

2A charger vs included 1A?

1,602 posts
Thanks Meter: 281

By mettleh3d, Senior Member on 30th November 2011, 09:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey all, question here about chargers.

I have 3 chargers at my disposal, a Samsung travel charger @0.7A, included charger block @ 1.0A, and my HP Touchpad block @ 2.0A.

The touchpad charger charges from empty to full in 3h15m, uninterrupted. Not blindingly fast, but good.

The included one takes around 4+ hours.

The travel one is so slow, check out the screenshot below, over 5 hours and at 94% only.

Question is, is there any detriment to using the non standard included charging brick or can I use the higher amperage charger safely?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
30th November 2011, 10:09 PM |#2  
Flag Zimbabwe
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettleh3d

Question is, is there any detriment to using the non standard included charging brick or can I use the higher amperage charger safely?

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

None whatsoever.
30th November 2011, 10:09 PM |#3  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 45

More
ive been reading that the phone is capped at ~0.65A for charge rate
30th November 2011, 10:11 PM |#4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 1,665

Donate to Me
More
@mettleh3d

if you had turned off WiFi it would probably have reached 100% before 5 hours using the 0.7A charger

using the included 1A charger it takes exactly 3hr+45m to go from 0% to 100% measured
30th November 2011, 10:20 PM |#5  
Flag Zimbabwe
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

using the included 1A charger

Was I cheated by T-Mo? The charger that came with mine is labeled "travel charger" and is .7A.
30th November 2011, 10:35 PM |#6  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Actually guys, there are drawbacks to using higher amperage.

The standard charger of 1.0 amps was bundled with the battery because it was engineered that this combination would yield around 300 charging cycles before the battery starts losing it's efficiency.

The faster (higher amps) a charger you use the faster your phone will charge. However, fast charging cycles negatively affect the longevity of the battery. Fast charging cycles also will severely increase the charging temperature of the phone and its battery and depending on how high it gets, it may be detrimental to the phone or battery. The higher amps the charger is, the quicker the battery will start being less efficient. Put in other words, if you use a 2 amp charger every day, the battery may only last 200 charging cycles before you start noticing that your battery is getting weak.

Conversely, if you use a lower-specced charger than the 1.0 Amps Samsung provided, your battery longevity may improve. I do not have numbers exactly but if you are interested, go read on the subject. My guess is if you use the 0.7 amp charger, you may be able to successfully get 320 or 330 charge cycles out of your battery. Again, don't quote me on these numbers.

I'd suggest for every-day usage you continue using your 1.0 Amp charger that Samsung provided. For travel or on the spot (when you quickly need battery juice) feel free to use the 2.0 amp charger. As long as you don't use the 2.0 charger every day, you are fine. Every now and then is perfectly acceptable.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to }{Alienz}{ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift }{Alienz}{ Ad-Free
30th November 2011, 11:58 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 281

More
thanks alienz, was hoping for a detailed response like this.
1st December 2011, 12:14 AM |#8  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
Technically phones have regulators that only allow an amount of amps to be charged with. But I would only charge with the Samsung included one. Like I tried to use Apples charger block but it somehow charged my phone slower

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
1st December 2011, 12:21 AM |#9  
Retired Forum Moderator

Donate to Me
More
yup, i can confirm from experience from my previous phones

it's mostly the heat that damages the battery, it doesn't really affect the phone itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{Alienz}{

The faster (higher amps) a charger you use the faster your phone will charge. However, fast charging cycles negatively affect the longevity of the battery. Fast charging cycles also will severely increase the charging temperature of the phone and its battery and depending on how high it gets, it may be detrimental to the phone or battery. The higher amps the charger is, the quicker the battery will start being less efficient. Put in other words, if you use a 2 amp charger every day, the battery may only last 200 charging cycles before you start noticing that your battery is getting weak.

The Following User Says Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AllGamer Ad-Free
1st December 2011, 12:38 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 87

More
IMO my time is worth more than a few extra cycles of a battery. Just pick up a few extra ones. Not like the OEM will last forever if you trickle .001 A into it every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to madman604 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift madman604 Ad-Free
1st December 2011, 12:44 AM |#11  
Retired Forum Moderator

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman604

IMO my time is worth more than a few extra cycles of a battery. Just pick up a few extra ones. Not like the OEM will last forever if you trickle .001 A into it every time.

i carry always a spare pack with me

and an extra one is always ready in the office, and another at home, and one more in the car, i keep swapping the car one more often just because it's winter and it's also the one that will get charged the least if i leave it in the glove box
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)