FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] TouchPal Contacts 4.3.0 on steroids

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 78

By bitblaster, Member on 1st December 2011, 01:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Guys, here it is the new TouchPal Contacts version 4.3.0 patched to clear missed call notification, with an added bonus (over the previous one): it doesn't require NotiGo anymore!
Also, since in this new version the background service uses low ram (5mb in my case), i didn't disable it.

Upcoming patches:
- add translations (i'll do the italian one, please translate the strings.xml file and post it so that i can add it in the new releases)
- customizable number formatting

Installation:
Simply install the zip from CWM recovery!

[THE FOLLOWING IS VALID FOR THE OLD VERSION ONLY]
Hi to all,
I like very much Touchpal Dialer, but it had some problems for me to be my daily dialer:
  • it launches a background service that eats 10-15 MB of precious ram (other similar apps don't have any bg service);
  • it does not clear missed call notifications (on Gingerbread, as all non stock dialers), and you cannot move it as a system app (e.g. using Titanium Backup) because doing so it crashes
  • it (like many other dialers) does not open when i tap on a missed call notification...

So I patched this app to work as it should be out of the... market!
  • I changed the service so that now it runs only when TouchPal is open;
  • I added support for NotiGo, so now TouchPal clears missed calls notifications also on Gingerbread.
    But for this to work you have to install NotiGo (see the first post) and install TouchPal after that.
  • Finally, I added support for the Galaxy missed call notification, so you can finally open TouchPal's call log when tapping on a missed call, instead of the built in (crap) call log.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the techs this is what I've done:
  1. In SmartDialerService, method ensureService(), I replaced the call to startService() with bindService(), because every TouchPal activity calls ensureService on creation;
  2. In SmartDialerService I added a new method askForStop() to shut down the service when no TouchPal activity is using it, and added a call to this in the onDestroy() method of every TouchPal activity;
  3. In DialerActivity and CallLogActivity I added the call to NotiGo to clear the notifications;
  4. In the AndroidManifest.xml I added an intent support for the action"com.sec.android.app.dialertab.calllog.Detai lViewActivity", which is broadcasted when you tap a missed call notification. Also, obviously, added permission support for NotiGo ("thinkpanda.permission.CLEAR_MISSED_CALL")

For further details, please decompile the apk and compare the smali files to the original ones.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give me feedback on this mod, and if you like it hit Thanks!

Bit

Changelog:
  • com.cootek.smartdialer_3.3-mod1.apk: initial release (see before)
  • com.cootek.smartdialer_3.3-mod2.apk: corrected some label in italian translation
  • com.cootek.smartdialer_3.4-mod3.apk: reapplied all patches on new version 3.4
  • touchpal-contacts-4.0.4-mod4.zip: new version 4.0.4 patched and distributed as a CWM update
  • touchpal-contacts-4.3.0-mod5.zip: new version 4.3.0 patched and distributed as a CWM update
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bitblaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitblaster Ad-Free

4th December 2011, 05:20 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for your work and i like Touchpal Diale too. but i have a problem that the option to add a phone number from call history to a new contact wont work on MIUI Roms. Thanks.
4th December 2011, 06:26 PM |#3  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thanks a lot, working perfectly in my Huawei U8500.
5th December 2011, 09:24 AM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Padova

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekh

Thanks for your work and i like Touchpal Diale too. but i have a problem that the option to add a phone number from call history to a new contact wont work on MIUI Roms. Thanks.

Does it display any error? I have not MIUI so i can't test.

But we can test if it is a problem of touchpal or of the builtin contacts app.
If you can install AnyCut (or a similar app) from the market, try to add a new shortcut ("Make your own") using these parameters (without quotes):
Action: "android.intent.action.INSERT"
Type: "vnd.android.cursor.dir/contact"

Then go to the home screen and tap on the new shortcut.

If it doesn't open the "Add Contact" dialog, there should be some problem with the builtin contacts app.
12th December 2011, 12:19 PM |#5  
Flag Lugo, Spain
Thanks Meter: 42

More
This app replaces the app from market, is it?
Then if we use your app we can't update Touchpal from Market without loosing "steroid"?
13th December 2011, 01:59 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
cannot install NotiGo.

SOLVED: Gotta use edify's one
13th December 2011, 03:55 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Padova

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocaferlo

This app replaces the app from market, is it?
Then if we use your app we can't update Touchpal from Market without loosing "steroid"?

Yes you should be able to update it from market.
Obviously doing so you lose all the customization I made.
I wrote to Cootek asking them to integrate my mods in the dialer, since they can do it in minutes.

So far no answers...
The Following User Says Thank You to bitblaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bitblaster Ad-Free
13th December 2011, 04:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitblaster

I wrote to Cootek asking them to integrate my mods in the dialer, since they can do it in minutes.

So far no answers...

I also wrote several times cootek, without any reply...
It's a pity, since I like TouchPal Dialer so much, but these "features" i don't like are always there, and ...no reply from them ever.

Thank you for your "version", anyhow: I like it!
14th December 2011, 12:03 PM |#9  
Flag Lugo, Spain
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitblaster

Yes you should be able to update it from market.
Obviously doing so you lose all the customization I made.

So far no answers...

Today I can't see Touchpal Dialer in Market....strange!!
I'm tring yours.
Thanks
14th December 2011, 01:34 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Padova

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocaferlo

Today I can't see Touchpal Dialer in Market....strange!!
I'm tring yours.
Thanks

You're right!
14th December 2011, 02:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Touchpal Dialer v3.4 just released on their website.

no update in Market so far...
Attached Files
File Type: apk TouchpalDialer34.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.84 MB, 56 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
calls, missed, touchpal
Previous Thread Next Thread