[Guide] How To Flash Custom Roms On Your Droid X

2,384 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,888

By Jubakuba, Inactive Recognized Developer on 3rd December 2011, 01:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
kite edit: stuck!

IMPORTANT UPDATE

*[Warning!]*
The .621 system update that Verizon is currently pushing to the Droid X has potential to render your device without root access.
Worse yet, it breaks the ability to use ANY SBF file currently available...and any attempt to do so will brick your phone.
Developers are currently working on un-bricking the users who have already taken the .621 update and attempted an SBF.
This may or may not prove to be successful.

If your System Version is ends in .621 you cannot use this guide!

[Root Access]
There is currently no root method available for the 621 update.
However, users have reported that OTA RootKeeper from the Android Market will maintain root access if you run it before accepting the update.
Keep in mind: If you go this route...you can't go back.
NEW SBF
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1517985 This SBF should work. Still no root method or ability to use prior SBFs.
Developers are unlikely to port their roms to the new base. And you'll never be able to return to .340/.596/.602/.605 or anywhere else for that matter. Thus: if you take this update, you won't be able to run a custom rom ever again. (Unless ports are made [unlikely]).
Root Method Achieved for .621

Estimated Time To Complete

1-2 Hours

What You'll Need

-Root Access
-Know your System Version (Settings>About Phone)
-Titanium Backup (A pro Key isn't needed but I recommend one)
-Bookmark Backup
-Droid 2 Bootstrap
-3Gigs free space on your SD card (estimate).
-A Rom of your Choice:

--Liberty is a great rom. Especially for someone who is new to this whole process, as you can put whatever Blur you want back in!
--MIUI is an excellent rom. It offers SUPERB customization, a beautiful interface, and awesome themes!
--CyanogenMod is another excellent choice. It offers superb customization on top of an AOSP experience.
--Any other Rom that is running on your System Version (Settings>About Phone).

Before We Flash

- Root your phone using the above link as a guide. (It's as simple as downloading a small program on your computer and plugging your phone in.)

- Install all of the applications Above. If you previously purchased Droid X Bootstrap, you may install This instead. It was compiled using the Droid 2 Bootstrap Source and will work perfectly.

- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery using Droid 2 Bootstrap. Press: "Bootstrap Recovery" (if a SuperUser permission request pops up, accept it) and then "Reboot Recovery."

- Navigate to the "Backup and Restore" option with your volume keys and select it with the camera button. Select Backup. Let the process run.

- Once the Backup is complete, Navigate to the Reboot option.

- Open "Contacts" on your phone. Press the "Options" hard-key and find the "Import/Export" option. Export your contacts to your SD card.

- Open "Titanium Backup" and press the "Options" hard-key. Then press "Batch." Run the "Backup all User Apps" tool and wait for the process to complete.

- Open "Backup Bookmarks" and backup your browser bookmarks.

Installing Your Rom

- Make Sure the Rom you want to install is using the same System Version as the one you're currently on. The Cyanogen "Official" Builds are actually still on froyo while the newest versions are on 4.5.605 or 4.5.602 (either work).

- Put the Rom's .zip on your SD card.

- Use Droid 2 Bootstrap to reboot into recovery again. (Bootstrap Recovery > Reboot Recovery)

- Do a factory reset from within this menu.

- Navigate to "Install zip from SDcard" and select your Rom. Say "yes" to the install and wait for the process to complete.

- Reboot. Congratulations! Your phone should now boot up into the new Rom!

Restoring Our Applications/Contacts/Etc.

- Open the Android Market and you'll be prompted to log in.

- Download Titanium Backup / Bookmark Backup once again.

- Open Titanium Backup and open the "Batch" area again. Run the "Restore User Apps" option.
--It is always recommended to restore the "App Only" with this option. Any application data that you restore MAY cause Force Closes. However, it is up to you what you want to do here. Personally, I've often restored Application Data...and rarely does it cause a problem. When a problem DOES occur, fixing is as simple as Booting into CWM > Factory Reset > Reinstall Rom.

- Restore Your Bookmarks with the Bookmark Backup application.

- Open the "Contacts" application and import the contacts you saved earlier.
--This is only Necessary if you don't allow Google to backup your contacts to their servers.

IMPORTANT NOTES!!!

- When you're using a 2nd-init Rom (Cyanogen / MIUI) DO NOT use Droid 2 Bootstrap to boot into CWM once the Rom has been installed. You must either boot into recovery using the Power Menu or via Rom Manager's Recovery option.

- If you don't like the Rom you tried...you can restore the Backup you made in CWM. This may not work if you tried a 2nd-init Rom and decided against it. You'll then have to SBF, Re-Root, And Restore.

- Anybody who flashes custom Roms frequently has probably messed up at some point...or simply wanted a fresh start. That is where a SBF comes in handy. SBFing your phone isn't as scary as you may think. Follow this guide and you'll be golden. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/331-guide...g-droid-x-sbf/

SPECIAL THANKS

Google, For making Android!
SyNiK4L, For The SBF tutorial.
razorloves, For the Root tutorial.
Framework43, For the never-ending Droid X support.
cvpcs, for the original 2nd-init exploit.
DroidXChat, for ENDLESS 2nd-init bug fixing.
The Developers...of the wonderful roms/hacks/scripts/apks/etc we all love and appreciate.
And to EACH and EVERY helpful community member out there who helps wherever they can!

I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. Nor is anyone else. You have chosen to do this, and whatever happens is on YOU. That being said: I'm sure there are countless members who would be more than happy to help should something go wrong.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jubakuba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jubakuba Ad-Free

6th December 2011, 11:51 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pueblo, Colorado

Donate to Me
More
Bump && Major Questions Filler Post
12th December 2011, 05:54 AM |#3  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I'm trying to install the Liberty rom but it keeps giving me an error in the recovery. It just says can't open xxx.zip (bad) installation aborted. I checked the MD5 and it matched the file. Also tried it on Bootstrap recovery and Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.0. Can anyone help please?
12th December 2011, 06:48 AM |#4  
Flag Pueblo, Colorado

Donate to Me
More
Are you on system 602/605?

It could also be a bad SD card...
Copy your SD's contents to your PC and format it via
Warning: All data on your memory card will be deleted.

Press the Menu key from the Home Screen
Touch Settings
Touch SD card & phone storage
Touch Format SD card
Touch Format SD card again to confirm
The Following User Says Thank You to Jubakuba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jubakuba Ad-Free
12th December 2011, 07:07 AM |#5  
Flag Boston

More
I don't think its a bad SD card because I flashed APEX 2.0.0 RC4 and that worked fine from bootstrap recovery. Just having problems with Liberty. Tried both Liberty 1.0 and 2.0
The Following User Says Thank You to rock7632 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rock7632 Ad-Free
12th December 2011, 07:11 AM |#6  
Flag Pueblo, Colorado

Donate to Me
More
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10655-rom...bloody-sunday/
From this thread, ya?

Liberty 2 was actually on froyo...
If you flashed Liberty 3 v2.0 then I have no idea what else could be wrong unless you're on the wrong system version.
12th December 2011, 07:29 AM |#7  
Flag Boston

More
yeah it was from that thread. my system version is 605. I'm really scratching my head here. not sure what's wrong

edit: which recovery do you recommend? maybe I'm using the wrong one
12th December 2011, 08:25 AM |#8  
Flag Pueblo, Colorado

Donate to Me
More
I haven't personally tried it...
But you could try RzRecovery.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/7309-reco...ost__p__246598
The Following User Says Thank You to Jubakuba For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jubakuba Ad-Free
12th December 2011, 05:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 232

Donate to Me
More
Tis an excellent guide! =D

I will be sure to link back to it when helping others out.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App
19th December 2011, 06:05 PM |#10  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Good stuff, wish I had found this guide BEFORE I flashed my first ROM a couple days ago! All the necessary info in one post!

You recommend "Backup Bookmarks" and I see that a reviewer on the Market has commented that "Contrary to "bookmark sort & backup" it correctly backup and later restore them in a clean phone. XML storage is also more safe in case of trouble." Can you confirm that this app is better/safer than "Bookmark Sort & Backup"? I used the latter and tried using Titanium Backup to bring my bookmarks over to VorteX 2.9, and since that actually worked I didn't need the other backup.

I have never bothered backing up my contacts since they are stored in the cloud on Google's servers. Should I be concerned about the integrity of the cloud, or should a local backup be made just so you can restore your contacts more quickly?

I had ended up needing to SBF to .602 after some tweaking on stock OTA .605 went horribly wrong (lol), and I ended up purchasing and using the Droid X bootstrapper, which worked perfectly for me. Does it not work on .605? Also, this needs to be used IN PLACE OF the version of Clockwork recovery you can flash using ROM Manager, correct? (Just making sure I have that straight.)

One more thing: If any user apps cause problems if you restore their data, too, shouldn't you be able to solve the problem by just clearing the individual app's data instead of doing a factory reset?

You should link to VorteX, by the way, I'm really enjoying it so far.
20th December 2011, 05:15 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock7632

I'm trying to install the Liberty rom but it keeps giving me an error in the recovery. It just says can't open xxx.zip (bad) installation aborted. I checked the MD5 and it matched the file. Also tried it on Bootstrap recovery and Clockwork Recovery 5.0.2.0. Can anyone help please?

i had the same problem. I found it was the file. I re-downloaded it and everthing worked perfect, don't know if that helps you though
The Following User Says Thank You to troyzero For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift troyzero Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)