FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How Strong Is The HTC Evo 4G Screen?

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Michael Milken, Junior Member on 4th December 2011, 08:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Is there any truth to this?

4th December 2011, 08:21 PM |#2  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 677

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Milken

Just got a HTC Evo 4G last week. I've had it in the Otterbox Defender case since day one. Lately, I've been trying to find a screen protector that covers the whole face of the phone. I've been unsuccessful in doing that. But, a guy was telling me that without a screen protector, the Evo's screen is hard to scratch. He told me that if I kept the phone in the Otterbox (which has a screen protector of it's own), that the phone would most likely never scratch.

Is there any truth to this?

Gorilla Glass is used for the Evo's screen and it's super durable. I used to use a screen protector (which ended up getting pretty scratched up), but I've been going without one for about 6 months and my screen is fine. I guess I really never needed the screen protector in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to alxrock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alxrock Ad-Free
5th December 2011, 10:25 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks for the answer.
5th December 2011, 07:11 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 611

More
Where does it say that's the Evo's screen is gorilla glass?

I've never read that anywhere.

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

@op
My brother had his evo in the otterbox and some sand got in between the screen protector and the screen and it wreaked havoc. It was extremely scratched...

You can buy some cheap screen protectors on eBay for a couple bucks.

~ I'm a fungi
5th December 2011, 08:19 PM |#5  
Flag Tampa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by a senile fungus

Where does it say that's the Evo's screen is gorilla glass?

I've never read that anywhere.

It certainly may be difficult to scratch but that doesn't make it gorilla glass.

Gorilla Glass website here under HTC
The EVO 4G, EVO 3D and EVO Shift all are listed.

I didn't know that it was Gorilla Glass for the first year of owning my EVO, but was relieved when I found out. Since then, I've been going without a screen protector.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alxrock For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alxrock Ad-Free
6th December 2011, 02:50 PM |#6  
Flag Salem
Thanks Meter: 156

More
strong enough?
One of my friends got into a motorcycle accident with his EVO in his pocket, and the phone was literally curved like a C shape from the impact, the screen was all cracked, but still continued to function okay... haha
6th December 2011, 07:11 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I landscaped all summer and my Evo screen was scratched pretty badly. Don't let anybody tell you that an Evo screen cannot be scratched.
7th December 2011, 04:06 AM |#8  
Flag Martin
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Red face Pretty Damn Strong!
I've dropoped my phone four times and all Ive done is ding up the sides but I will say you can't throw it at a pole I tried and the screen did not succeed I was out a hundred dollars for insurance payment. THe evo is one strong phone that just keeps giving.
7th December 2011, 01:26 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Well, I wasn't asking this because I planned on using my EVO for anything extreme. I asked to see whether or not putting a screen protector on while using an otterboor a ballistic case was a big deal.
7th December 2011, 03:13 PM |#10  
Flag Tampa

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Milken

Well, I wasn't asking this because I planned on using my EVO for anything extreme. I asked to see whether or not putting a screen protector on while using an otterboor a ballistic case was a big deal.

I would say in the end it depends on what you do with your phone. I keep mine in my pocket (not with my keys or change or anything that could scratch the screen) most of the day and am mindful about where I set my phone, so I go without the screen protector.

If your phone is more exposed to things that will scratch it up, then I'd say grab a screen protector.

My wife keeps a screen protector on hers, since she keeps hers in her purse and it tends to get jumbled around with her keys and such.

The screen is tough and scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. You'd probably be safe from light scratches.
7th December 2011, 04:55 PM |#11  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I have dropped mine numerous times and the screen has held up longer than then case.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)