How to convince my parents to let me drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
I'm 16 years old, and my mom won't let me get a license. She's too paranoid and strict. She thinks I'm going to be street racing and get in an accident. I work my ass off in school, get straight a's and I have all ap classes, but I do disobey her a lot and piss her off at home. I've asked her if she could let me drive, but she wants to wait til I'm 18? I just laugh at her cuz she's crazy if she thinks ima wait til I'm 18 to drive. So anyways, any ideas on convincing my mother to let me drive?

Sent from my Froyo on Dream/Sapphire using Tapatalk

TravisBean

Sep 18, 2009
Digital Domain
Sneak into her room late at night while she's in a deep sleep, and gently whisper into her ear,
I will let my son drive, I will let my son drive, I will let my son drive..........

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Sneak into her room late at night while she's in a deep sleep, and gently whisper into her ear,
I will let my son drive, I will let my son drive, I will let my son drive..........

Lmfao. That's a brilliant idea, I might actually try that seriously.
Any other ideas?

Dirk

May 11, 2009
#firstworldproblems

Seriously though, why can't you wait a couple of years? Presumably it's your mum paying for the whole thing so she gets to call the shots, right? If you were paying for it might be different, but then you're still living under her roof aren't you?

I was 22 before i could afford lessons, the car and insurance to go with it. Are you working full-time and commuting every day? If not, you don't need a car. You just want one.

Reactions: Babydollll

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Actually, she's not paying for anything. My big brother is paying for the lessons, school, and license. And he's also gonna give me one of his cars. The only thing she might pay for is gas. I need it to get to school, my school is around 5 miles away from where I live, and I'm leaving to college after senior year so I'm gonna need a car obviously

jaszek

Dec 30, 2008
Brooklyn
jaszekphoto.com
I don't get you young people. When I was 16, I wanted a good bike, not a car. 20 now, still have no car, and only a learner's permit so I have some form of ID. 5 miles is not far. I used to ride my bike 8 miles to school everyday...IN COLLEGE. YOu are 16, the only reason you would want a car is to show off to the girls. And you would only get the girls that are empty in their heads and only go for money.

iynfynity

Sep 21, 2010
I'm 19, studying on college and still can't get a part time job. I take the bus from home to school for an hour. My mom wants me to drive but I said I can't because I don't have a job to pay for any of that.

Unless you can afford the car, insurance, etc. Just deal with it for two more years.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Actually, she's not paying for anything. My big brother is paying for the lessons, school, and license. And he's also gonna give me one of his cars. The only thing she might pay for is gas. I need it to get to school, my school is around 5 miles away from where I live, and I'm leaving to college after senior year so I'm gonna need a car obviously

It would make things convenient, but it is NOT a need.

Last edited:

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Well, she's not paying for anything to get my license, so she might as well let me get it. And fine, its ok if I not able to drive my own car, but I just wanna be able to have a license. I just want to convince her to let me get a license that she's not gonna spend a penny on.

RestInPieces209

Apr 25, 2009
Stockton
You don't need a parent to get your license do you? Just make an appointment and show up with a licensed driver and an insured car. Thats what I did.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Mr. Clown

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee - Fear a Clown
Staff member
Nov 29, 2008
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Well, she's not paying for anything to get my license, so she might as well let me get it. And fine, its ok if I not able to drive my own car, but I just wanna be able to have a license. I just want to convince her to let me get a license that she's not gonna spend a penny on.

start to behave and don't piss off your mom for two more years.

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
You don't need a parent to get your license do you? Just make an appointment and show up with a licensed driver and an insured car. Thats what I did.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

I don't know, I haven't really looked into it. But I always thought they have to give their signature of authorization don't they? And I still haven't even got my permit yet.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
start to behave and don't piss off your mom for two more years.

This. If somebody else is picking up the tab, your mother is obviously only concerned from a responsibility point of view. She knows you better than we do, so we can't really speak to that.. but perhaps you can spend the next few months proving to her with your actions that you are ready to drive?

Perhaps in the meantime you can convince her of a compromise whereby you take your lessons and get your license, and she gets final say on when you're allowed to get a car?

The best things in life are earned. Go show your mother some love and earn your right to drive!

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
i was in the same situation as you. its something you have to deal with. im 18 now, and am glad my parents made me wait. i got good exercise on my bike, and value the fact that i can now drive as an adult, not a teenager. just my 2cents though. and start behaving and it might happen sooner then you think

jaszek

Dec 30, 2008
Brooklyn
jaszekphoto.com
Also, do you have a learner's Permit? First pay for that yourself, then pay for driving lessons, then pay for the licence. If you can do all that yourself then you can drive. Don't depend on others.

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Also, do you have a learner's Permit? First pay for that yourself, then pay for driving lessons, then pay for the licence. If you can do all that yourself then you can drive. Don't depend on others.

alright guys, thanks for the advice, but i can already pay for it, but she still wont let me get my license, it just doesnt make sense? i just want the license, thats all.
Driving my own car i can wait for.

jaszek

Dec 30, 2008
Brooklyn
jaszekphoto.com
Then be an adult. Go get your license, while you're at it, move out. Seriously. YOu live under your mom's roof. When she tell you you can't do it, you don't do it. What is it with teenagers and their lack of respect these days? Maybe it's that I come from a different background, and maybe I don't respect many people, but my parent's and their opinions I'll always respect, even if I don't agree with it. Since she doesn't want you to do it, there must be a reason, be it personal, or not. It could be something you don't even know about, and you getting it would have an emotional impact on your mother.

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Then be an adult. Go get your license, while you're at it, move out. Seriously. YOu live under your mom's roof. When she tell you you can't do it, you don't do it. What is it with teenagers and their lack of respect these days? Maybe it's that I come from a different background, and maybe I don't respect many people, but my parent's and their opinions I'll always respect, even if I don't agree with it. Since she doesn't want you to do it, there must be a reason, be it personal, or not. It could be something you don't even know about, and you getting it would have an emotional impact on your mother.

hmm alright. I understand what you're trying to say. I guess ill just wait.

Dirk

May 11, 2009
.. It could be something you don't even know about, and you getting it would have an emotional impact on your mother.

Perfect chance for me to slide an apt, drunken rant in. What Jaszek just said is 100% solid. When i started spending nights with my new GF at the age of 15, my mother didn't like it. The 'curfew' was an obvious punishment. It's not like i didn't see it coming, but was i going to ditch my first 'adult' relationship?

So i moved out. It was an emotional day. It hit me all at once what my mother had gone through to raise me to that age. I felt like crap for abandoning ship, but i was going to do what i wanted regardless. The last thing i did before hauling my bags out of the house was write a letter for my mum to find. It was covered in my tears, but told her how grateful i was for all the sacrifices she had made to raise me.

She was good about it. We spoke regularly. It made me realise how tough things had been for her. I signed up to job agencies and went to work to help pay the rent. It sucked, and inevitably it went to pieces. Instead of sitting my GCSE exams i was loading Lorries in a warehouse, pretending i was 18 so that i could get paid.

Needless to say my Mother saw it coming. When i wanted to move back home i had to ask if it was ok. Of course she wasn't going to say no.. but you have to ask...!

Long story short..do what your Mother tells you. It might seem like it sucks... but there's nothing more important in life than respecting your 'rents! I know that my mother still has the letter that i wrote her. In her eyes it's probably the only thing that's justified putting up with having with me in the first place; let alone raising me for 15 years!

You'll get your License eventually, and be glad when you do.. but your Mother is always right...even when she is wrong. Give her a kiss and tell her you understand. It's the least you can do...

Reactions: Maxamillion

Maxamillion

Feb 5, 2011
Perfect chance for me to slide an apt, drunken rant in. What Jaszek just said is 100% solid. When i started spending nights with my new GF at the age of 15, my mother didn't like it. The 'curfew' was an obvious punishment. It's not like i didn't see it coming, but was i going to ditch my first 'adult' relationship?

So i moved out. It was an emotional day. It hit me all at once what my mother had gone through to raise me to that age. I felt like crap for abandoning ship, but i was going to do what i wanted regardless. The last thing i did before hauling my bags out of the house was write a letter for my mum to find. It was covered in my tears, but told her how grateful i was for all the sacrifices she had made to raise me.

She was good about it. We spoke regularly. It made me realise how tough things had been for her. I signed up to job agencies and went to work to help pay the rent. It sucked, and inevitably it went to pieces. Instead of sitting my GCSE exams i was loading Lorries in a warehouse, pretending i was 18 so that i could get paid.

Needless to say my Mother saw it coming. When i wanted to move back home i had to ask if it was ok. Of course she wasn't going to say no.. but you have to ask...!

Long story short..do what your Mother tells you. It might seem like it sucks... but there's nothing more important in life than respecting your 'rents! I know that my mother still has the letter that i wrote her. In her eyes it's probably the only thing that's justified putting up with having with me in the first place; let alone raising me for 15 years!

You'll get your License eventually, and be glad when you do.. but your Mother is always right...even when she is wrong. Give her a kiss and tell her you understand. It's the least you can do...

thanks, you guys just opened my eyes, and me realize im being irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, why can't you wait a couple of years? Presumably it's your mum paying for the whole thing so she gets to call the shots, right? If you were paying for it might be different, but then you're still living under her roof aren't you?

I was 22 before i could afford lessons, the car and insurance to go with it. Are you working full-time and commuting every day? If not, you don't need a car. You just want one.
    .. It could be something you don't even know about, and you getting it would have an emotional impact on your mother.

Wow my parents are the complete opposite
    Keeps bothering me to pass my test
    I'm too lazy

All I can say is ask them why do they drive!

Sent from my Milestone using XDA App

My mom is making me get a license, especially since i'm turning 20 in 9 days. I tell her I'm waiting for my dad to finally buy a car, since we've been living in the states for almost 11 years now lol. But then again, living in NYC its a PITA to have a car. Insurance is expensive, and try to find parking.

Also, THE XDA ALCOHOLIC DIVISION STRIKES AGAIN with changing somebody's life. Now go to your mom and tell her you love her.

the-naked-gun-from-the-files-of-police-squad-original.jpg
    but your Mother is always right...even when she is wrong. Give her a kiss and tell her you understand. It's the least you can do...

I wouldn't exactly agree with that.. in most cases that's true, but my biological mother has tried to kill me and her other two kids on several occasions. Its a good thing she's tiny and weak and easy to throw across the room :)

My mom also wont let me get my permit. I've just learned to deal with it. Her constantly driving me around has finally pissed her off so now she's slowly learning to accept the fact that she doesn't know where I am or who I'm with or who's driving half the time.
    Tell her you would like her to show you how to drive. That way you will be a safe driver. She might go for that, esp. if you guys have a fun time while doing it. Practice in an empty parking lot or light industrial park.

Point out you can run errands for her.

Find an activity she would approve of, but that is across town. Volunteering at a senior center or something. Even better have it be at a time of day she does something she really likes. Her fav. soap opera is on, etc. After a week or so of taking you point out you are old enough and respnsible enough to do the drive yourself.

Do a deal with her for something she wants. Better grades, chores, babysitting, etc

Pretend you got beat up walking/biking somewhere.

Don't listen to the people giving you a hard time. Driving rocks. You can't give girls rides on a bicycle. Beg for that license.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA Premium App