FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stop the Full Charge Notifications

94 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By AwfulFaded, Member on 11th December 2011, 03:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
For anybody who wants to run a stock (but rooted) ROM and wants to remove probably the dumbest feature ever: the Full Charge Notification. This is affectionately known as the 3am wake-up call.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky. If you know what I'm talking about, you have options. One way is to install an app to silence the notifications such as the free "Battery Charged Silencer" app (thanks JimSmith94 for pointing this out), this app allows you to silence the notification sound only. For the more adventurous types out there here's another way to put an end to it, which also allows you to choose whether or not to leave the screen-on and status bar notification:
1. Download Auto-Deodexer, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=598026
2. Extract Auto-Deodexer
3. Copy /system/app/SystemUI.apk and system/app/SystemUI.odex to your sdcard
4. Copy /system/framework/ to your sdcard
5. Copy the contents of the framework folder from sdcard to the framework folder of Auto-Deodexer
6. Copy SystemUI.apk and SystemUI.odex to the app folder of Auto-Deodexer
7. Run deoall.bat, choose option 1 and wait for it to finish. Use option 6 to exit
8. Open deodexed_APK/SystemUI.apk with 7-zip and extract classes.dex to your root deodexer folder (the one with baksmali in it)
9. Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where you have extracted Auto-Deodexer
10. Use the following command: java -jar baksmali-1.2.3.jar -o dexout/ classes.dex
11. Open dexout/com/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/StatusBarPolicy.smali in your favorite text editor
12. Find the .method private addFullChargeNotification method.

13. What you do next depends on your version of Android.
If you are running Android 2.3.4, remove the following lines:
to remove the sounds, remove: "invoke-direct {p0, v0}, Lcom/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/StatusBarPolicy;->playTone(Landroid/net/Uri;)v"
to stop the screen from turning on, remove: "invoke-direct {p0}, Lcom/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/StatusBarPolicy;->turnOnScreenWithForce()v"
to remove the status bar icon, remove: "invoke-virtual {v0, v1, v2}, Landroid/app/NotificationManager;->notify(ILandroid/app/Notification;)v"

If you are running 2.3.6 (you have the EK02 update), remove the following lines:
to remove the status bar icon, remove: "invoke-virtual {v0, v1, v2}, Landroid/app/NotificationManager;->notify(ILandroid/app/Notification;)V"
to stop the screen from turning on, remove: "invoke-direct {p0}, Lcom/android/systemui/statusbar/policy/StatusBarPolicy;->turnOnScreenWithForce()V"
14. Use the following command: java -Xmx512M -jar smali-1.2.3.jar dexout/
15. Rename out.dex to classes.dex
16. Replace the classes.dex in the deodexed SystemUI.apk with the one you just created
17. Rename the new deodexed SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.new and push it to your phone
18. Copy SystemUI.apk.new to your /system/app folder
19. Set the permissions for the file to owner: Read/Write, group: Read, others: Read (644 for those who know what that means)
20. Rename SystemUI.odex to SystemUI.odex.old
21. Rename SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.old (you will start seeing frequent errors at this point, this is normal and expected. Don't panic just hit Force Close to dismiss the errors and continue)
22. Rename SystemUI.apk.new to SystemUI.apk
23. Reboot
24. Enjoy uninterrupted sleep.
For anybody running stock 2.3.6 you can grab the file below and skip steps 1-16. This will stop both the screen-on and the status bar icon.

If you are running a custom ROM and you don't have this notification (I'm not sure why you read this far but...) please thank your dev. If you do have this notification, I imagine these steps would still work for you.

If these changes don't work for you, you find a full nights sleep to be annoying, you think sleep is for weak minded individuals, etc. you're in luck. Reverting back is simple:
1. Rename SystemUI.odex.old to SystemUI.odex
2. Rename SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.new
3. Rename SystemUI.apk.old to SystemUI.apk
4. Reboot

Thanks to pulser_g2 for fixing this issue on the international GSII
Thanks to Mic_88 for writing a portal article about pulser_g2's work), I also linked to the image you used
Thanks to Sboulema for your step by step directions (largely copy/pasted above)
Thanks to afilopou for some edits you made to those directions
Thanks to countless others here at XDA who freely share their knowledge and selflessly donate their time to make life better for others
Attached Files
File Type: apk SystemUI.apk - [Click for QR Code] (268.9 KB, 228 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AwfulFaded For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AwfulFaded Ad-Free

11th December 2011, 03:30 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Kansas City, KS

More
reserved for future updates
11th December 2011, 03:48 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,109

More
Thanks, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of federal regulation from the EPA or something like that. I noticed a lot of newer phones do this now, and tell you to unplug your phone. Like I really want to head to work with 80% battery.
11th December 2011, 03:54 PM |#4  
Flag Phoenix, Maryland
Thanks Meter: 1,307

More
LOL at the pics
11th December 2011, 03:59 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Kansas City, KS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmanxxl

Thanks, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of federal regulation from the EPA or something like that. I noticed a lot of newer phones do this now, and tell you to unplug your phone. Like I really want to head to work with 80% battery.

That's crazy enough to be true.

I haven't busted out my DMM yet, but I'm pretty sure the phone throttles the charge current down once the charge hits a certain threshold (the brick cools down). It also takes *forever* to charge from 99% to 100%, I found that while testing this fix and waiting for the phone to fully charge. If the phone is throttling the charge current, there's no reason to expect it won't turn into a trickle to keep the phone at max.

It's also interesting that 2.3.4 had sound + screen on + status bar icon while 2.3.6 dropped the sound. I figured that change had to be in response to complaints, but couldn't figure out why they'd leave the screen on (since that can be just as annoying). Some obscure federal regulations would explain why the screen on was left in there. I wish policy makers didn't live such a sheltered life so we could get some common sense legislation.
11th December 2011, 04:38 PM |#6  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 512

Donate to Me
More
This free "Battery Charged Silencer" app works well for me: https://market.android.com/details?i...silencer&hl=en
11th December 2011, 05:02 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Dayton, TX
Thanks Meter: 3,904

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94

This free "Battery Charged Silencer" app works well for me: https://market.android.com/details?i...silencer&hl=en

Cool to have a app, but users shouldnt have to install a app to stop things like this. These little things should be options, the ability to turn them off should be in settings under "Display"

IMO
11th December 2011, 05:15 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Kansas City, KS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94

You're absolutely right. I saw several people referencing that when I was looking around for how to do this. I will probably add this to the original post. If you want to use an app for this, that's your prerogative. We should be free to make our own decisions, but it's not really a choice if you only have one option to choose from. Speaking for myself, I'd prefer not to clutter up my device with a bunch of use-once-and-forget apps if there's an alternative.

I approached this wanting to learn how to do something for myself instead of always relying on the work of others, so I leaned heavily on the work of others. Once I had it working, I decided to pass it along in the hopes that somebody else can benefit.

I think Samsung gave us one hell of a phone to work with but there are a few things I find annoying: battery charge notification, camera sounds, etc. Thanks to XDA I'm confident I'll be able to tweak and tune this device until it meets my definition of perfect, what remains to be seen is how much of this other people help me with vs how much other people do for me. However, I'm not saying my approach is better than yours.
11th December 2011, 05:16 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Kansas City, KS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell12

Cool to have a app, but users shouldnt have to install a app to stop things like this. These little things should be options, the ability to turn them off should be in settings under "Display"

IMO

Amen brother!

If I'd been able to add options to make it configurable, I think we'd all come out ahead in the end.
11th December 2011, 05:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,109

More
I do know there was a law passed a few years ago about camera sounds. That every phone with a camera must have a sound that can't be silenced when taking pics, for privacy reasons lol but we can have our keystrokes secretly logged and sent to an unknown server.

Thanks for this though, I think the charge light turning blue is plenty of notification that im %100.
11th December 2011, 05:33 PM |#11  
Flag Miami, Florida
Thanks Meter: 630

More
is it bad for the phone or battery to leave the phone on the charger after it is fully charged for an extensive period of time?

if i'm running custom rom (calkulin's) will this have any adverse affects? will it potentially break anything?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)