[KITCHEN] dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now supports Galaxy S Plus (Windows/Linux/Mac)

Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now for Samsung Galaxy S Plus (I9001)

Compatible with Windows (Cygwin) / Linux / Mac OS X

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy S Plus custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. As of version 0.182, you can now create your own Galaxy S Plus ROMs with the kitchen.

I'd like to thank the guys in this thread, especially crybert, oisis and mbba67 for helping me out, as well as for testing on their devices and providing feedback. I only have a Bell Galaxy S2 I9100 so their assistance was greatly appreciated!

PROCEDURE

This guide may be a bit basic right now but I will update it later if required.

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S Plus (I9001) with a ClockworkMod-based custom recovery.
  2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows or Linux or Mac. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
  3. Put your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, there is support for the following formats which can be placed in that folder (you can place multiple ROMs there):
    • Stock firmware:
      • system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
      • TAR file containing system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
      • ZIP file containing system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
    • Custom ROM:
      • ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)
    • Nandroid backup from ClockworkMod recovery
      • system.img, cache.img and boot.img
      • system.ext4.tar, cache.ext4.tar and boot.img
  4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
    1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
    2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
      • If you used a system.img.ext4 but then didn't include the cache.img.ext4, then you have the option to add a cache.img.ext4 later using the Extract SGS2 CSC script in the Advanced menu's 'Plugins' section.
    3. Root your ROM
    4. Add Busybox
    5. In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM
    6. Build ROM
    • The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin.
  5. Some notes:
    • Here are some screenshots of how to use the kitchen for the I9001, thanks to crybert.
    • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
    • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So please go through that first if you have any issues.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please only discuss Samsung Galaxy S Plus in this thread!

Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

Last edited:

Blumdum

Sep 6, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
great work!
did anyone tried the porting option in this kitchen?
could be very usefull to port miui or cyanogenmod to our device
i know its signed as experimental but anyone know the chances that this option will lead to a success?

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
great work!
did anyone tried the porting option in this kitchen?
could be very usefull to port miui or cyanogenmod to our device
i know its signed as experimental but anyone know the chances that this option will lead to a success?

Would be kind of hard to do..., but I heard that the SGSPlus is similar to the Desire HD, so I would start with a ROM from there.

crybert

Oct 15, 2011
You think the Cyanogenmd for the DesireHD would work? And if I try the porting thing. Is there a big chance to full brick my phone. I know I have to look that the boot.img and the system is flashed on the right partition. So if something goes wrong I think I can enter Download-Mode anyway?

Reactions: mostafa5187

Blumdum

Sep 6, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Desire HD uses the same cpu/gpu as i9001 so there should be a big similarity
im asking myself the same question wether there is a chance for a full brick
but the boot.img will be written on the right partition

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I don't know much about porting apart from the generic steps in the kitchen scripts. But if you have a nandroid backup, how would you brick (unless you mean the wrong partition would mess it up.. In that case just double check the updater-script before building).

Reactions: mikeeo019

mbba67

Sep 1, 2011
You think the Cyanogenmd for the DesireHD would work? And if I try the porting thing. Is there a big chance to full brick my phone. I know I have to look that the boot.img and the system is flashed on the right partition. So if something goes wrong I think I can enter Download-Mode anyway?

I dont know about porting or boot.img, but what if you just replace SGS+ boot.img over the DesireHD Cyanogenmd Rom boot.img then just fix them in the kitchen. I dont know..........:rolleyes:

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011

if the porting of cynogenmod from DHD succeeds we will be able to port their ICS too then. with some modifications to boot.img, build.prop. etc.. , replacing drivers, maybe we can try camera drivers and libs from I9000 port , of course we'll need someone to compile the right kernel. imo it can be done if we put a team work into it ;)

mr_omega

Jun 1, 2009
Can you tell me where can I find an information how to add to my fresh cooked rom CWM FeaMod Recovery?

crybert

Oct 15, 2011
Can you tell me where can I find an information how to add to my fresh cooked rom CWM FeaMod Recovery?

1. just add the recovery.img to the main directory of your rom. Where /system and META-INF is located
2. add the following line to your updater-script:
package_extract_file("recovery.img", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p13");

P:S.
We should move the discussion about CM to another thread. I think this is a bit offtopic

Reactions: mr_omega

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Hi guys, I have updated the kitchen to 0.182. See the main thread (linked on post #1) for full release notes.

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
try porting MIUI instead of CM7. MIUI is not only fast but customize able and i think dsixda does the work for you and then minor bugs can be fixed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dsixda's Android Kitchen - Now for Samsung Galaxy S Plus (I9001)

Compatible with Windows (Cygwin) / Linux / Mac OS X

The following is a guide to assist you with creating your own Samsung Galaxy S Plus custom ROMs with the kitchen. This is NOT a guide to help you become Cyanogen or do fancy things with AOSP, but it may be your springboard to bigger things in the future.

Some of you already know about the Android Kitchen. It is a project I started on back in February 2010 to help newbies create their own custom ROMs and learn more about Android. As of version 0.182, you can now create your own Galaxy S Plus ROMs with the kitchen.

I'd like to thank the guys in this thread, especially crybert, oisis and mbba67 for helping me out, as well as for testing on their devices and providing feedback. I only have a Bell Galaxy S2 I9100 so their assistance was greatly appreciated!

PROCEDURE

This guide may be a bit basic right now but I will update it later if required.

1. First, you need a rooted Samsung Galaxy S Plus (I9001) with a ClockworkMod-based custom recovery.
    2. Visit the Android Kitchen thread to download the kitchen. Then, follow the link to the FAQ which will show you how to install it on Windows or Linux or Mac. Ensure you read the FAQ carefully.
    3. Put your base ROM(s) under the original_update folder. For the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, there is support for the following formats which can be placed in that folder (you can place multiple ROMs there):
      • Stock firmware:
        • system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
        • TAR file containing system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
        • ZIP file containing system.img.ext4 and boot.img (and optionally: cache.img.ext4)
      • Custom ROM:
        • ZIP file created by the kitchen from the stock firmware (NOTE: The kitchen may NOT support custom ROMs created through other methods, due to potential file structure incompatibility issues)
      • Nandroid backup from ClockworkMod recovery
        • system.img, cache.img and boot.img
        • system.ext4.tar, cache.ext4.tar and boot.img
    4. Here are some basic steps to creating your first ROM after you have your base of files under original_update (more options are available in the kitchen):
      1. Start the kitchen with: ./menu
      2. Create a working folder (by choosing your base ROM)
        • If you used a system.img.ext4 but then didn't include the cache.img.ext4, then you have the option to add a cache.img.ext4 later using the Extract SGS2 CSC script in the Advanced menu's 'Plugins' section.
      3. Root your ROM
      4. Add Busybox
      5. In the Advanced options menu: De-odex your ROM
      6. Build ROM
      • The ROM is built into a ZIP file meant for flashing from the custom recovery menu. No Odin.
    5. Some notes:
      • Here are some screenshots of how to use the kitchen for the I9001, thanks to crybert.
      • Just select the defaults whenever you are asked about something in the kitchen and are unsure whether to type 'y' or 'n'.
      • There are lots of questions answered in the FAQ in Posts 3 and 4 of the main Android Kitchen thread. So please go through that first if you have any issues.

For the benefit of other readers and to prevent confusion, please only discuss Samsung Galaxy S Plus in this thread!

Most of all, have patience, take your time and enjoy!!

Reserved, just in case
    Hmmm... animation not working...

You have to do the following:
    take out the bootanimation binary from the feamodrecoverypackage and put it into /system/bin/ on your rom.
    Now you have to edit the init.rc file. Therefore you must extract the boot.img with kitchen. In the ramdisk folder edit init.rc. Search for /system/bin/samsungani
    and change this /system/bin/bootanimation then build the boot.img again. And now your good to go.
    But be sure that the sanim.zip in /system/media/ has the right resolution. Check the txt file inside. Hope you understand that. Wrote this out of my mind.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA App
    Yes that would help a lot, Automatically Converting the script EOL to unix format will avoid such problems in future :)

OK done, see version 0.190.

As you probably know by now, I'm retired from my kitchen work because my hand is a mess.. so I can only do simple fixes like this on the keyboard before it starts getting painful.