FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

411 posts
Thanks Meter: 602
 
By Vashypooh, Senior Member on 19th December 2011, 08:01 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
16th April 2012, 02:21 AM |#1391  
androidcues's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
to add to the conversation about those nasty motherfracking kindle fire drivers --

some douchebag stole my KF (and my MIFI, my only source of my own wifi) I could not stand the thought of being without my KFire for all of four hours before I drove to Walmart with $200 in pocket change (they made me use the CoinStar machine and I bought this with a CoinStar receipt FTW) and purchased a new KF

The laptop I had with me was running Windows 8 dev and Linux Mint and neither system could recognize the KF drivers. All while on a really crappy hotel network. I spent all of 5 hours of just beating up the driver system, before I gave up and drove 100 miles to my office, where my machine runs Win7.

On that Windows 7 system it couldnt have been easier - All drivers installed automatically, I installed KFU 9.5 and everthing worked just fine, no problems.

I know its not because of Windows 8 or 7 it does not matter -- There was just something obfuscated with the KF drivers and the options are to 1. wipe and reinstall your entire windows system, or 2. find a new computer to try it on.

THE POINT OF THIS POST: If **** doesnt work on one machine... find another machine.
 
 
16th April 2012, 02:44 AM |#1392  
Senior Member
Flag Jersey City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 124
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidcues

THE POINT OF THIS POST: If **** doesnt work on one machine... find another machine.

WTF?... umm, ok. Most people have eventually been able to get it with their current machines. Or with eventually just changing the usb cable. What if someone doesn't have another machine? So then that means they are **** out of luck? Nah, it's not that simple. Sometimes a bit of help can get those with issues running properly. And alot of times it's not the machine at fault, it's the user, whether they just don't understand the directions or are just flat out doing something wrong. And if they are doing it wrong on the current machine, what makes you think they won't do it wrong on another machine?...

BTW the current adb drivers are not going to install on Windows 8. The .cat files have to be signed properly to allow installation. But as far as XP, Vista and Win7 is concerned, any of those will work if things are done properly. And I have yet to hear of someone having to re-install their OS to at the least, root a kindle...

Sounds to me like your still a bit pissed someone stole your Kindle and MIFI... Need a hug?
The Following User Says Thank You to Techlyfe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Techlyfe Ad-Free
16th April 2012, 04:18 AM |#1393  
dwmackay's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlyfe

What do you see other than the (android phone)? Do you see a kindle under Disk Drives or under Portable Devices? I

Let us know how this goes.

**Edit**

Also did you try a different USB cable?

Thanks for the advice.

I did try a few extra cables all with the same results. I feel like I am missing something really simple. So here are my steps.

Process 1:
1. Nothing plugged into PC
2. Run driver bat file in utility
3. plug in Kindle Fire to PC
4. Click "Disconnect on Kindle Fire
5. Check Device Manager - Only Android Composite ADB [No Kindle Listed]
6. Run utility - Cannot find Kindle Fire

Process 2:
1. Plug Kindle Fire into PC.
2. Check Device Manager - Kindle with "!" listed
3. right click "Kindle !" -> Properties -> Update Driver -> [browse to utility drivers]
4. "Kindle !" disappears, "Composite ADB" shows up.
5. Run Utility - Cannot find Kindle.

To answer another rather poignant post, as mentioned in my initial note, I have tried this on 3 different PC's [Asus laptop, Sony Desktop, my own custom built gaming PC]. Unfortunately they are all running Win 7 so I cannot try a different OS. The only other OS I have is Ubuntu running as a Virtual machine in Oracle on the Asus. It seems kind of pointless to try that one.

I have also tried rebooting the Kindle and the PC after the driver installs, but no matter what combination I try, I always seem to end up with the Composite ADB Device and no Kindle in Device Manager.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have only tried the drivers in the .95 utility [I did download 3 times in case of a bad download.] Could there be a different driver I need?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

BTW - Bummer about the stolen Kindle.

Doug M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1006345   Click image for larger version

Name:	step 2.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1006346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 3.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1006347  
16th April 2012, 05:38 AM |#1394  
kinfauns's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator and Retired DC Lead - The Quiet One
Thanks Meter: 3,555
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmackay

Thanks for the advice.

I did try a few extra cables all with the same results. I feel like I am missing something really simple. So here are my steps.

Process 1:
1. Nothing plugged into PC
2. Run driver bat file in utility
3. plug in Kindle Fire to PC
4. Click "Disconnect on Kindle Fire
5. Check Device Manager - Only Android Composite ADB [No Kindle Listed]
6. Run utility - Cannot find Kindle Fire

Process 2:
1. Plug Kindle Fire into PC.
2. Check Device Manager - Kindle with "!" listed
3. right click "Kindle !" -> Properties -> Update Driver -> [browse to utility drivers]
4. "Kindle !" disappears, "Composite ADB" shows up.
5. Run Utility - Cannot find Kindle.

To answer another rather poignant post, as mentioned in my initial note, I have tried this on 3 different PC's [Asus laptop, Sony Desktop, my own custom built gaming PC]. Unfortunately they are all running Win 7 so I cannot try a different OS. The only other OS I have is Ubuntu running as a Virtual machine in Oracle on the Asus. It seems kind of pointless to try that one.

I have also tried rebooting the Kindle and the PC after the driver installs, but no matter what combination I try, I always seem to end up with the Composite ADB Device and no Kindle in Device Manager.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have only tried the drivers in the .95 utility [I did download 3 times in case of a bad download.] Could there be a different driver I need?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

BTW - Bummer about the stolen Kindle.

Doug M.


There appears to be a bug in virtualbox that breaks adb...

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6620

so, you should give up trying it that way.

I'm not sure if you are confused about this point, but you do NOT want "Kindle" to show up in the device manager. If you have the ADB drivers installed correctly, you will see some kind of ADB Device under the Android Phone category.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...71&postcount=2

That's what you want to see if you want to use fastboot and adb on your device.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinfauns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kinfauns Ad-Free
16th April 2012, 01:57 PM |#1395  
dwmackay's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinfauns

There appears to be a bug in virtualbox that breaks adb...

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6620

so, you should give up trying it that way.

I'm not sure if you are confused about this point, but you do NOT want "Kindle" to show up in the device manager. If you have the ADB drivers installed correctly, you will see some kind of ADB Device under the Android Phone category.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...71&postcount=2

That's what you want to see if you want to use fastboot and adb on your device.

Thanks for the link. I read through that page carefully. So maybe my problem is the way the Kindle is booted? I certainly have the composite ADB Device in Device Manager. Should the Kindle be in "Fastboot mode" or something? So far I have just been powering it on and plugging it in. Is there something else I should be doing to turn on the Kindle?

I get the attached error no matter what I have tried so far.

Thanks again.

Doug M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Utility error.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1006969  
16th April 2012, 02:27 PM |#1396  
Senior Member
Flag Jersey City, NJ
Thanks Meter: 124
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmackay

I certainly have the composite ADB Device in Device Manager.

Try this,
When you get to (waiting for device) on the KFU screen, try unplugging the kindle, force shutting it down by holding the power button for 20-25 seconds and then plug the kindle back up, plugging it up should cause the kindle to turn on, and hopefully, it gives KFU a reaction and it finished installing TWRP.img.


Swyped from my eternally melting Kindle Fire (Powered by ENERGY ICS CM9 KANG ROM)
The Following User Says Thank You to Techlyfe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Techlyfe Ad-Free
16th April 2012, 09:17 PM |#1397  
Neuralgia's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Actually that's exactly what KFU tells you to do... if you get stucked, turn off and one several times your Kindle (I always guessed it was with the cable still plugged, but I guess you could try all the options)
16th April 2012, 10:13 PM |#1398  
Member
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
still cant get utility to load
Help......my prob is i have 4 computers and still cant get it right. I had my KF rooted befor, but something happin thought i had it back up but it wasnt there. I then had help & was able to load 6.3 & got it going again but it never did find the drivers. I then wanted to root it again but when i tried my computers wont load drivers. i just tried another one same thing......all i get is
(cannot complete the device driver installation wizard) & next to the google it has a red x install failed (unsingned)

PS sorry about you KF .....
16th April 2012, 10:31 PM |#1399  
speedingcheetah's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Equestria
Thanks Meter: 137
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlyfe

So everything is working and you are good? If so, good to hear!

For me, yep...running well.
17th April 2012, 02:14 AM |#1400  
androidcues's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlyfe

WTF?... umm, ok. Most people have eventually been able to get it with their current machines. Or with eventually just changing the usb cable. What if someone doesn't have another machine? So then that means they are **** out of luck? Nah, it's not that simple. Sometimes a bit of help can get those with issues running properly. And alot of times it's not the machine at fault, it's the user, whether they just don't understand the directions or are just flat out doing something wrong. And if they are doing it wrong on the current machine, what makes you think they won't do it wrong on another machine?...

BTW the current adb drivers are not going to install on Windows 8. The .cat files have to be signed properly to allow installation. But as far as XP, Vista and Win7 is concerned, any of those will work if things are done properly. And I have yet to hear of someone having to re-install their OS to at the least, root a kindle...

Sounds to me like your still a bit pissed someone stole your Kindle and MIFI... Need a hug?

How do you get all this from reading my post?

You say windows 8 cant handle ADB -- not true. Tell that to my dream/g1 and my vision/g2. Matter of fact, I repartitioned my KF sdcard with my Windows 8 laptop last month using gparted in ADB. Granted those times come when or shortly after I make a fresh installation.

If you dont have another computer, well, then keep on hacking away and clearing out and reinstalling drivers.

I was only trying to help -- I was not pissed when I wrote that, and I have solved all of my driver and adb problems with the Kindle Fire by "finding another machine" Usually I dont need to, but yesterday I needed to, and it gave me the fix. And then I reported to y'all, and somehow my post gets out of context.
17th April 2012, 03:29 AM |#1401  
Member
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
.... can someone tell me y i cant even get the driver to load, says .....( cannot complete the device driver installation) and this is one 3 loptops and pc. i get shut down before i even try to get started. I know they work before....i had my KF rooted.
Thanks Dave
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootmode, debrick, drivers, kindle, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes