FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[WIP] Debian on the TouchPad

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

Post Reply Email Thread
Howdy Folks,

Just poking my head out here in the forums to let people know that I am working on getting Debian booting natively on the TouchPad. Currently have Testing booting with a version of my Enlightenment packages for the desktop. Once I have something I feel is stable and polished I'll share with the class.

Many thanks to all those who have already gotten other Linux variations running on the TouchPad, their docs and help on IRC have been very needed.

Also since HP Opted to open source the touchpad, I've opened a subforum for it in the Bodhi ARM Section - http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.p...7-hp-touchpad/

Alpha Image:

You can find the rootFS, uImage and install directions here.

Not sure I'm going to be remembering to update this thread, please check here for further updates - http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.p...7-hp-touchpad/

Cheers,
~Jeff
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JeffHoogland For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JeffHoogland Ad-Free

23rd December 2011, 01:40 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Oh God yes!

Sent from my Touchpad using xda premium
23rd December 2011, 09:06 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

Donate to Me
More
I've uploaded an early kernel and rootfs for others to play with. Hope to shoot a video later today to share.

~Jeff
26th December 2011, 06:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Touchscreen
As you know, the touchscreen sensitivity makes things unusable. The driver to fix the touchscreen is out https://github.com/jcsullins/ts_srv_tenderloin

Thanks for everything =) I really like the UI!
26th December 2011, 06:24 AM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for sharing that - I've already implemented it on my personal image.

I'm hoping to be able to work through getting 3D driver working in the next few days - once that happens (or in another day) I'll post an "alpha 1" image with my updates. Such as that screen update and a few other small improvements

~Jeff
27th December 2011, 01:25 AM |#6  

More
Good to hear
Glad to hear that you're making such great progress! So on arch linux pacman -Syu would upgrade the touch screen driver. Is there something similar that could be done via debian? Can apt-get fetch the graphics driver?
27th December 2011, 01:27 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

Donate to Me
More
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Is what runs all the updates on Debian, however as this is a developmental preview (aka I'm still cobbling things together) the current touch screen driver was not installed via the package manager - so it cannot be updated through it.

~Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffHoogland For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JeffHoogland Ad-Free
27th December 2011, 01:41 AM |#8  

More
Odd
I've been using it for maybe 20 minutes... about 10 minutes ago the touchscreen fixed itself. I have no idea why this would happen... I haven't rebooted. Anyways, I can accurately click, drag, type (on the keyboard) ... again, I have no idea why it is working so much better without me doing anything...
27th December 2011, 05:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
please make a video? it can be super short
1st January 2012, 11:41 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
i can't wait for the final release...thanks for porting Bodhi on Touchpad!

waiting also for a demo video....
11th January 2012, 10:02 AM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Bloomington, IL

Donate to Me
More
I've added an alpha image to the source forge files.

See first post.

~Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffHoogland For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JeffHoogland Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)