185 posts
Thanks Meter: 82

By PharmNerd, Senior Member on 24th December 2011, 02:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th December 2011, 07:28 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Well, the 11/27 Entropy Daily Driver kernel didn't appear to eliminate the Android OS battery drain.

I tried a few things, and it appears that the only thing to stop the battery level from plummeting is a reboot. Cycling Wifi off and back on seems to help a little, but not completely.

As far as the 0x886c packets go, they appeared roughly once every second in a pcap sample taken shortly after the first "Returned to Wifi".

A few minutes after "Rebooted Phone", I saw a flurry of about 10 of them in less than a second. Random 1-2 minutes samples during the next hour or two showed an occasional 0x886c packet -- maybe 1-2 per minute.

I didn't see any 0x886c packets in samples taken immediately after the second "Returned to Wifi", "Cycle Wifi", "Cycle Data Network Mode", or "Cycle Flight Mode".

28th December 2011, 01:32 AM |#12  
Retired Recognized Developer
USA
Thanks Meter: 4,527

More
fwiw:

I notice a big drain on batter by Google maps even when i don't use it.
idk if uninstalling for you may be an option or not..or opt out of location request

modem and data can also take up a bit a battery as well.
from previous posts, i have recommmed DL a dataswitch app that stops background data - it's a toggler.
this leaves phone and text intact.
do this when you dont need constant background data sync.
it is not for everyone but it can be useful if you are looking to conserve battery in a pinch.
you can go for several days on a single charge.
ymmv
28th December 2011, 02:42 AM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
I've used Juice Defender Ultimate in the past, but didn't really notice any improvement. In fact, it made battery life worse when on wifi.

With a constant wifi connection and sleep policy turned off, I can still have 100% battery 4hrs after unplugging from the charger(!).. Juice Defender disconnecting & reconnecting every 15 minutes killed a few percent every hour. Not to mention, I hate having to wait 10-15 seconds after turning on my phone to use the internet.

My only problem is when switching back and forth between wifi and cellular data.
28th December 2011, 03:06 AM |#14  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,504

Donate to Me
More
****ING BROADCOM.

**** THEM TO HELL.

I thought removing BT-AMP support from the kernel would fix that wacked out **** but apparently it doesn't.

****ING BROADCOM.

**** THEM AND THEIR COMPLETELY UNCOMMENTED/UNDOCUMENTED CODE, ALONG WITH THEIR LACK OF DATASHEETS.

I'll see if I can duplicate this with the parents' phone. Interestingly enough, it only seems to happen with AT&T leak bases - I had it happen multiple times after getting my GS2 (which is when I started playing with UCKJ2) but never beforehand. (Edit: I'm wrong - it does also happen with UXKG3 base, such as Infused 2.x - but it seems to not happen on Hellraised ROMs to my knowledge, nor on CM7.)

This may possibly be related to the weird wifi issues (including battery drain) affecting UCKK6 for the Galaxy S II - It's some weird bug in /system and not the kernel.

Edit: To those having issues, do you own any other devices with Broadcom wifi chipsets? (Such as other Samsung phones, Samsung Tab 10.1s, etc)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBjQs07wbw - sing along with me! When they say "**** Martinez", I say "**** the Broadcom!" (Yes, I know that is a bit weird - but it has the correct syllable count and rhythm.)
28th December 2011, 03:13 AM |#15  
USA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmNerd

I've used Juice Defender Ultimate in the past, but didn't really notice any improvement. In fact, it made battery life worse when on wifi.

With a constant wifi connection and sleep policy turned off, I can still have 100% battery 4hrs after unplugging from the charger(!).. Juice Defender disconnecting & reconnecting every 15 minutes killed a few percent every hour. Not to mention, I hate having to wait 10-15 seconds after turning on my phone to use the internet.

My only problem is when switching back and forth between wifi and cellular data.

We are all set in our ways. If you're open to suggestion, unistall juice def.
download from market: dataswitch by tomatoX.
run it for a day and see what happens.

Entropy..I feel the anger of your rant, but it was way over my head to appreciate what it was about.
28th December 2011, 02:09 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

...****ING BROADCOM.

**** THEM TO HELL......

Really necessary?
28th December 2011, 04:25 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrawer

Really necessary?

I think it is.
28th December 2011, 05:03 PM |#18  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrawer

Really necessary?

Yes, they are one of the least open source friendly and least developer-friendly companies out there.

They don't comment the code of their crappy kernel drivers (and this thread PROVES they are crappy) at all, and they don't provide ANY documentation on their chipsets.

So when their drivers flake out like they are here, there is no way to fix them.

The evidence is clear in the wireshark captures - some wacky proprietary feature of theirs (Bluetooth AMP) is flaking out and malfunctioning (despite this phone not even USING the BCM4330's BT features) and waking up the Infuse once a second in many cases. This kills battery life.

The feature misbehaves even when BTAMP is completely disabled in the kernel.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2011, 08:07 PM |#19  
USA

More
Quote:

Yes, they are one of the least open source friendly and least developer-friendly companies out there.

They don't comment the code of their crappy kernel drivers (and this thread PROVES they are crappy) at all, and they don't provide ANY documentation on their chipsets.

So when their drivers flake out like they are here, there is no way to fix them.

The evidence is clear in the wireshark captures - some wacky proprietary feature of theirs (Bluetooth AMP) is flaking out and malfunctioning (despite this phone not even USING the BCM4330's BT features) and waking up the Infuse once a second in many cases. This kills battery life.

The feature misbehaves even when BTAMP is completely disabled in the kernel.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

I'm gonna give you the 1700th thank
29th December 2011, 10:31 PM |#20  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
I tried to reproduce this with my parents' phone (Infused 2.2.3, Daily Driver 11/27) - no luck, it's working fine.

Makes it a pain in the butt to debug.
29th December 2011, 11:37 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I tried to reproduce this with my parents' phone (Infused 2.2.3, Daily Driver 11/27) - no luck, it's working fine.

Makes it a pain in the butt to debug.

This battery drain is weirdly inconsistent. There have been a couple times I've left my house and didn't see it. Once yesterday, and once last week. Seemingly if I leave home for short periods (less than an hour).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android os, battery, drain

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)