HTCDev.com Unlock Hangs

Search This thread

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
Hey Guys,

I have been waiting for this day, and now that its here, I'm stuck. I did everything the HTCDev instructions said, got my Unlock.bin but when I go to flash it, it hangs at:
C:\>fastboot flash unlocktoken C:\Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...

I have searched everywhere for a solution and have tried everything, I now have a phone thats empty and has the latest RUU. I have tried every port on my laptop and my desktop, nothing works. Can anyone help me with this? Should I contact VZW and try and get a replacement? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.

Thanks

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Wouldn't the command be?

Code:
fastboot flash unlock_code.bin

You need to type the filename exactly as it appears or it will not work.

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
nope, I followed the directions on the HTC site, and they are the same as all the posted guides. It has to be my token, is it possible I have a bad token or phone? Should I contact HTC to see if they will replace it?

kidwolf908

Oct 17, 2009
You have to put the unlock_code.bin in the same folder as the ADB and fastboot executables.

Then you can leave out the path in the command. You don't need to use the full path, just

Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

EDIT: Clearly you didn't follow the instructions by the way, otherwise you would have created an Android folder on your C:\ drive and would have known to put all the files in that directory. No worries, just do as I said and you should be good :)

Last edited:

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
It is in the same folder as it, I have tried it in the platfor-tools folder, in its own folder at C:\android and i have tried it on the root of c:\. I just tried it on a 3rd computer i have and same deal. It has to be my token.

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
It is in the same folder as it, I have tried it in the platfor-tools folder, in its own folder at C:\android and i have tried it on the root of c:\. I just tried it on a 3rd computer i have and same deal. It has to be my token.

I don't know but to be honest I just cannot see how it could be the token.

BTW...the .bin file needs to be in the same folder/location as the fastboot.exe file which would be under the "Tools" folder not the "Platform-tools".

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
I was in fastboot mode in the "recovery" screen. I will boot up and try running it then.

EDIT: Still no dice. This is killing me.....

Last edited:

sbtim

Oct 6, 2010
I hate to tell you, but it's on your end. Other people would be posting with the same issue if it were HTC Dev's issue.

Anyway, all I can say is follow the instructions EXACTLY and start from step one.

brockeverly

Jan 1, 2011
AZ
Hey Guys,

I have been waiting for this day, and now that its here, I'm stuck. I did everything the HTCDev instructions said, got my Unlock.bin but when I go to flash it, it hangs at:
C:\>fastboot flash unlocktoken C:\Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...

I have searched everywhere for a solution and have tried everything, I now have a phone thats empty and has the latest RUU. I have tried every port on my laptop and my desktop, nothing works. Can anyone help me with this? Should I contact VZW and try and get a replacement? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.

Thanks

This is how/why bootloaders get locked...

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
I have followed every step of every walkthru on this forum and others, as well as the HTCDev instructions. I have done it on all 3 computers (all Win7 Pro legit) trying every usb port with every method. I have also tried different USB cables. I have had my girlfriend watching my every keystroke to accuracy (she also has a rezound, but is waiting on a replacement device ,screen cracked). I have tried putting the files in:
C:\
C:\Android
C:\Program Files\Android\androidsdk\platform-tools\
D:\
S:\ a network drive (didnt expect this to work)
F:\ a flash drive

I just got off the phone with HTC support and they think it is strange as well, they escalated my issue so I should get a call from someone who actually knows what fastboot is.

I am going to try a LiveUSB copy of Ubuntu 11.10. I will let you know of any progress.

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
Why would vzw replace a phone you screwed up trying to root it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

I didn't screw it up trying to root. The phone works fine, the issue is that the HTC provided system will not work for my phone. Vzw should replace it only if HTC escalation team cant get to the bottom of it. They should replace it because there is a manufacturing error on the device.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

jbh00jh

Oct 7, 2007
Columbia, SC
The instruction page at htc/dev unlock says if you use the unlock you void your warranty if your software is altered from stock.

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
From what i understand, its not unlocked yet, thats y they can still help

Exactly.

The instruction page at htc/dev unlock says if you use the unlock you void your warranty if your software is altered from stock.

The HTCDev website says "I acknowledge that use of the unlock bootloader may void all or parts of my warranty device and my device may not function as intended by HTC."

You can see this here http://www.htcdev.com/process/legal

icy1899

Sep 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
Also I just tried the entire process again using a Linux machine and a different HTCDev account sending to a non gmail address, same thing. It has to be a device issue.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

skourg3

Jun 13, 2010
Are you sure that you're correctly in fastboot when trying to run the unlock bin? You need to pull the battery, power on with Vol Down + Power, it should bring you to the hboot. There will be a menu with options (fastboot, recovery, reboot, a couple others) that you can scroll through. Highlight fastboot (I believe it's the top one and highlighted by default) and press power. This should change the menu options shown at the bottom. If I remember correctly, the picture during the HTC dev walkthrough is a picture taken while in fastboot. You need to run the unlock fastboot command while on that menu screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know this is almost a year old thread, but I encountered this same error recently and fixed by switching to a full powered USB2 port as opposed to a 5v USB hub/laptop usb.
    Use a direct USB port to avoid fastboot hanging when unlocking

I chased this problem for hour and as Basecamp88 correctly noted that you must use a direct USB connection to our laptop or PC when flashing or modding your phone!