FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.2+] Impel - easily and automatically do things

499 posts
Thanks Meter: 698

Post Reply Email Thread

Impel is an automation and task creation utility for your phone or your tablet running Android 2.1 through 4.0.

Unlike other utilities, Impel is designed to be simple to use, easy to maintain, very low on memory consumption and polite to system resources (runs as a service or as an app - you choose). Root features are available but it runs just fine without root (su features will be hidden). It is worth noting that on Galaxy Nexus devices there is a force close issue if you use the lock screen camera button. We know about this issue and are working on a fix for this now.

Give Impel a try and see if you like it, then let us know. We're a small developer with some great talent and fast feedback response times, we're just looking for more customers and feedback. There are two versions of the app available in two different storefronts:

Free version with in-app Plus upgrade (no ads) :
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.phase2i.impel

Plus version only :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/andr....phase2i.impel

Full details and features list :
http://impel.phase2i.com/

Product Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dosbj1F8M
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mstroud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mstroud Ad-Free

3rd January 2012, 10:18 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Santa Clara

Donate to Me
More
Release Version (Android Market customers only):
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mstroud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mstroud Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 10:55 PM |#3  
I like it. The U.I is much friendlier when compared to a "Similar " app.

May have to upgrade now. I like it.

Thanks and regards
The Following User Says Thank You to buzzboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift buzzboy Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 11:30 PM |#4  
Flag Somewhere in the west
Thanks Meter: 254

Donate to Me
More
Tested and upgraded, takes 34mb of ram, Tasker takes 5,4mb for exacly the same tasks... :/ so for now..

Will wait a little before reinstall it !

But, really good job, very easier ! Will retry later !

-------------------------
GT-I9000 | SauRom JVZ DEODEXED | Semaphore Kernel Powered
The Following User Says Thank You to WiwiPouPou For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WiwiPouPou Ad-Free
4th January 2012, 12:52 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Santa Clara

Donate to Me
More
Hmm, interesting feedback on the memory usage. Is that 34MB while in use and the UI isn't being shown? I think there is something odd happening there.

I would be curious to know your device, OS and task setup. By comparison my heavily loaded Impel with 11 tasks using all types of receivers is only 6.9MB while running in app mode. The most I've ever seen Impel use in recent versions is 11MB. My goto, daily device is a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.2 with Impel 1.1.0 on it.
5th January 2012, 06:25 AM |#6  
Flag Somewhere in the west
Thanks Meter: 254

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstroud

Hmm, interesting feedback on the memory usage. Is that 34MB while in use and the UI isn't being shown? I think there is something odd happening there.

I would be curious to know your device, OS and task setup. By comparison my heavily loaded Impel with 11 tasks using all types of receivers is only 6.9MB while running in app mode. The most I've ever seen Impel use in recent versions is 11MB. My goto, daily device is a Galaxy Nexus running 4.0.2 with Impel 1.1.0 on it.

I got a SGS i9000 with a stock modded (themed and lmk tweaked) JVZ 2.3.6, i haven't got any oyher memory issue and i use very few apps to limit services.
Impel set up as "Quiet", UI closed with sgs task manager (so really closed).

My tasks are :
2 tasks to set media volume with headset plug in or out.
2 tasks to set autosync on/off when power is plugged in/out !

Edit : just retried, 25mo in memory for the processus !

-------------------------
GT-I9000 | SauRom JVZ DEODEXED | Semaphore Kernel Powered
5th January 2012, 06:36 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Santa Clara

Donate to Me
More
Very odd. How are you determining the memory in use by Impel on your device?

One other thing to check against is to set Impel to disable the tasks and see what is reported then. From within Impel, press Menu, Settings, and check Disable all tasks and exit to the launcher. In this state Impel will have shutdown all services and removed everything from a running state. In essence, it should not be around in memory at all when you reach the home screen.

If your phone still reports Impel as using memory at this point, the memory usage issue lies outside of our control.
5th January 2012, 07:32 AM |#8  
Flag P-sk
Thanks Meter: 197

Donate to Me
More
Support language Polish please

Sent from my Htc Desire Runnymede AIO
5th January 2012, 07:04 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Santa Clara

Donate to Me
More
linar10,

We haven't yet provided localized versions for any language, but I will add your request to the list. I would imagine that there would be other languages in the queue ahead of Polish due to the distribution of the app, however. I just want to set expectations appropriately.

As a more general question to the XDA forum, how do most apps from small developers handle localization? It is quite costly to do this work for apps that haven't made much money (that includes Impel at this point) and it seems that most apps are English or developer-native-language only that we see on the Android Market. Are there well known ways to get translations for less that actually are useful?
5th January 2012, 07:23 PM |#10  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 2,496

More
This looks promising. Will try later tonight if I have time.

As for localization, I've done many translations of software from English to French on different platforms free of charge (or nearly).

I've seen others do the same, I think you'd be surprised to see how many people are ready to translate software, given that you provide them with an easy to use solution/way of translating strings and seeing the changes made.

I've done games and apps translations in the past and I've been rewarded with the software itself for free (plus credits for translation) or a small monetary compensation in the form of a cheque or gift card. Good enough incentives in my opinion, I absolutely HATE when a developer uses google translate or any other automatic translation tool for their software.
5th January 2012, 07:31 PM |#11  
Flag P-sk
Thanks Meter: 197

Donate to Me
More
An example how is terminated that competition http://muzikant-android.blogspot.com...with-your.html (sorry my bad english)
The Following User Says Thank You to linar10 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift linar10 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)