FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Google Contacts App and Sync on Nook

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By rbnoggin, Junior Member on 4th January 2012, 09:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone worked out the proper install process to get Contacts.apk (along with its provider and sync components) to work on either the Nook Simple Touch or the Nook Color?

I see lots of workarounds to get GMail access to the Google Contacts info, but none that actually get the Contacts App to work properly.

The built in Nook Contacts App just doesn't have the same functionality and features as the Google Contacts App.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbnoggin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rbnoggin Ad-Free

6th January 2012, 11:48 PM |#2  
Flag Brr...
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
I once tried installing contacs.apk on my NST and it crashed when I tried to open it. So I'm in the same boat as you.

Sent from my NOOK using XDA App
7th January 2012, 07:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I did some testing of this issue. I am not android developer but maybe this will be useful for someone skilled who will resolve this issue.

I got logs from logcat of the crash, googled for a while and found this:

1. http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...id.devel/70202
2. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5009
3. http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod...detail?id=1444

Bug in 2.1 android requires at least one process implementing android.content.SyncAdapter intent (see 1). I also tried removing (renaming) /data/system/accounts.db and reboot (as proposed in 3). After registration to google account the account manager stoped crashing/rebooting my nook. On the other hand, contact were not synchronized anyway and moremover Shop application browsing stopped working too. Therefore I have restored account.db from backup. (might be interesting to compare those two account.db versions)

I don't know if an application/service that implements SyncAndapter would fix the account synchronization. Maybe it is implemented by Social app which is unfortunately not working on rooted nook. I am getting Social app is not available for this product and in logcat

I/ActivityThread( 1455): Publishing provider com.bn.nook.social.contacts.provider: com.bn.nook.social.contacts.ContactProvider
I/ActivityThread( 1455): Publishing provider com.bn.nook.social.share.lendrequest.provider: com.bn.nook.social.share.LendRequestProvider
I/ActivityThread( 1455): Publishing provider com.bn.nook.social.share.recommend.provider: com.bn.nook.social.share.RecommendationProvider
D/FileDownloadService( 1455): initService() bound with true
D/dalvikvm( 1455): GC freed 3766 objects / 265632 bytes in 20ms
E/Products( 1455): Invalid Ean =null
E/Products( 1455): java.lang.Exception
E/Products( 1455): at com.bn.nook.model.product.Products.isValidEan(Prod ucts.java:171)
E/Products( 1455): at com.bn.nook.social.share.SocialLauncherActivity.in it(SocialLauncherActivity.java:88)
E/Products( 1455): at com.bn.nook.social.share.SocialLauncherActivity.on Create(SocialLauncherActivity.java:66)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(I nstrumentation.java:1047)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(A ctivityThread.java:2459)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(Ac tivityThread.java:2512)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$2200(ActivityThr ead.java:119)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(Activit yThread.java:1863)
E/Products( 1455): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99 )
E/Products( 1455): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
E/Products( 1455): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.jav a:4363)
E/Products( 1455): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/Products( 1455): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:521)
E/Products( 1455): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCa ller.run(ZygoteInit.java:860)
E/Products( 1455): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit .java:618)
E/Products( 1455): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Another try other way. Executing Manage my accounts from contacts.apk.

E/DeviceInfo( 1123): Calling deviceinfo.getDeviceId
D/SurfaceFlinger( 788): Frame buffer posted; elapsed time = 84 msecs
D/SurfaceFlinger( 788): Frame buffer posted; elapsed time = 12 msecs
D/dalvikvm( 2059): GC freed 3880 objects / 243864 bytes in 21ms
I/AccountsSettingsActivity( 2059): load url=https://bncs.barnesandnoble.com/bncloud/oauthpage/BnOAuthMgmt.jsp?serialNo=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&esign= SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS&devType=2
D/SurfaceFlinger( 788): Frame buffer posted; elapsed time = 38 msecs
D/SurfaceFlinger( 788): Frame buffer posted; elapsed time = 14 msecs
W/dalvikvm( 2059): threadid=27: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x4001b170)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): Uncaught handler: thread http0 exiting due to uncaught exception
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): at android.net.http.CertificateChainValidator.doHands hakeAndValidateServerCertificates(CertificateChain Validator.java:135)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): at android.net.http.HttpsConnection.openConnection(Ht tpsConnection.java:306)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): at android.net.http.Connection.openHttpConnection(Con nection.java:358)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): at android.net.http.Connection.processRequests(Connec tion.java:225)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2059): at android.net.http.ConnectionThread.run(ConnectionTh read.java:125)
I/Process ( 788): Sending signal. PID: 2059 SIG: 3
D/EPD#EPD ( 788): resetRegion 4
D/NATIVE-EPD( 788): epd_reset_region: 0x10
D/EPD#EPD ( 788): resetRegion 5
D/NATIVE-EPD( 788): epd_reset_region: 0x20
D/EPD#EPD ( 788): resetRegion 6
D/NATIVE-EPD( 788): epd_reset_region: 0x40
D/EPD#EPD ( 788): resetRegion 7
D/NATIVE-EPD( 788): epd_reset_region: 0x80
D/DeviceManagerBroadcastReceiver( 1123): action (com.bn.devicemanager.ACTION_HANDLE_CRASH)
I/dalvikvm( 2059): threadid=7: reacting to signal 3
I/dalvikvm( 2059): Wrote stack trace to '/data/anr/traces.txt'
I/Process ( 2059): Sending signal. PID: 2059 SIG: 9
I/WindowManager( 788): WIN DEATH: Window{4a2d0108 com.bn.nook.social/com.bn.nook.social.contacts.ContactsActivity paused=false}
I/WindowManager( 788): WIN DEATH: Window{4a2a25a0 com.bn.nook.social/com.bn.nook.social.settings.AccountsSettingsActivi ty paused=false}
I/ActivityManager( 788): Process com.bn.nook.social (pid 2059) has died.

So it dies on the ssl handshake, /data/anr/traces.txt is empty.

I have opened that URL in my webbrowser and it is a web management page which let mi link my facebook/twitter/google account. I linked it with my google account and allowed the access in browser. But it won't import my contacts to nook anyway because of the ssl handshake error.

Few minutes later, I tried to open Contacts app and Manage my contact again and woila, I have my google contact in my nook!!!! Juhuuu!

UPDATE: unfortunately, these contact are not visible in Go Contacts or K-9 mail, therefore are quite useless.

Seems to me that the best option would be external application that would sync contact with google. Can't we use standard android 2.1 contacs.apk on nook?
7th January 2012, 09:00 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I cannot get it to work either, and it seems like all other address book apps rely on it working properly in the first place. I would love to see a way to fix this!

Sent from my NOOK using XDA AApp
7th January 2012, 10:47 AM |#5  

More
The only way i could make it work was by installing remo sync google apps (or something to that affect). It's an annoying app that constantly asks you to upgrade, but it does enable you to sync all your contacts whi then show up in your 3rd party contacts apps.

Sent from my NOOK using xda premium
7th January 2012, 11:36 AM |#6  

More
Hi,
finally I made it work, somehow. I have copied the attached app to /system/app on nook (you need to remount as rw first) and after reboot and some more time I saw Contact in sync options.
Now my contacts are synced and I can see them in Go Contacts or use in K9 mail. :D

I have also renamed /data/system/account.db to /data/system/account.db.bak + nook reboot. Don't know if it is required - as I said before, it stops rebooting nook in sync settings but also it breaks Shop browsing. I will try to restore account.db.bak now to see if the sync still works (update: yes, it does work both, sync and shop browsing after accounts.db restore).

I am sorry I can't provide exact HowTo, I was trying more things simultaneously and now I don't know what actually made it working.
Attached Files
File Type: apk GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk - [Click for QR Code] (49.2 KB, 711 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to cceerrtt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cceerrtt Ad-Free
7th January 2012, 10:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
So basically, we just have to copy the attached app to /system/app and reboot?
No need to modify or backup /data/system/account.db ?
The Following User Says Thank You to tebra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tebra Ad-Free
8th January 2012, 07:14 AM |#8  

More
That's what I can't tell for sure since I was renaming/restoring account.db several times during my testing.

I would say:
0. !!!!!! BACKUP using noogie whole nook image!!!!!!!!

1. install e.g. Synker app and Go contacts
2. remount /system as rw and copy attached app ^ ^ to /system/app, reboot
3. Add new syncer widget and check if you contacts are synced (in go contacts, not the default Contacs application - this one is for b&n contacts and is independent). If not, wait few minutes and repeat step 2

The problem with current account.db is that Sync manager execution is rebooting the nook. Therefore you cannot say if your contacts are synced or not until you try it.
Maybe it can be seen in Synker application/widget settings where I saw 3 google icons (the text is not visible) before contact sync was working, now I have 5 (probably becase I installed also google+ app)

To execute Sync manager you can
A) Go contacts -> Settings -> Backup and restore ->Account sync
B) Synker app -> Settings -> Account & Sync settings
As I said, this would reboot your nook right now.

After renaming account.db nook won't reboot (but Shop browsing doesn't work and probably whole B&N registration is "removed" - the good thing is that you should be fine again after the account.db restore).

Therefore if the previous didn't work, do:
4. mv /data/system/account.db /data/system/account.db.original
reboot nook
5. when nook starts, your nook is unregistered from google, use A or B method to run Sync manager (now it won't crash) and register again with your google account, reboot (for sure)
6. just for sure check if your market is still working
7. run sync manager again and check if you see Contacts to be synced for your google account.

If still not working, what I did was that I tried to remove the google account from sync manager.

8. in Sync manager try to remove your google account. You should got a message that account cannot be removed because there are other applications requiring it.

At this moment I saw that contacts are listed in synced items for the first time.

9. If contacts sync is working (or not), you might want to restore your account.db, therefore
mv /data/system/account.db /data/system/account.db.google # backup the new db
mv /data/system/account.db.original /data/system/account.db # restore the original one

Now shop browsing should work again and if your contacts were synced, the will be synced also in future (although Sync manager app would reboot your nook again).

I am saying again, maybe not all steps are needed, unfortunately I cannot retest it right now. Please share your experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cceerrtt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cceerrtt Ad-Free
13th January 2012, 12:19 AM |#9  

More
Contacts working
Ok So this is what I did.
Use root enabled ES file Manager to rename: /data/system/account.db to /data/system/account.db.bak

Plugged nook into PC and drag and drop: GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from this thread to sd card. ( because the system folders don't show up in file explorer on my pc)

Disconnect from pc.
Used ES File again to copy/paste GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from SD card to /System/app folder.

Rebooted

Opened Market, This triggered a request to log in (Accounts DB file renamed!!)
Logged in no problem: (this must have recreated accounts db file)

Downloaded Go Contacts

All gmail contacts visible.

Opened the Device Registrator App (smiley face Icon) that installed as part of clockwork mod rooting. Re registered with BN. I believe this can also be done from the stock settings page

Opened BN shop, all working.

Note: Go Contacts could not edit contacts. Downloaded Go Contacts EX and contact editing is available. Uninstalled original version of Go Contacts. Edited a contact in Gail from PC, Modification showed up on Nook in about 30 seconds. Could not find any sync setting on Nook but it is working in the back ground. Did not install Synker app. Cant say what effect that will add.

Very happy now.
13th January 2012, 04:43 AM |#10  
Flag CAIRO
Thanks Meter: 4

More
that's cool, ^_^
1st March 2012, 09:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by captfl

Ok So this is what I did.
Use root enabled ES file Manager to rename: /data/system/account.db to /data/system/account.db.bak

Plugged nook into PC and drag and drop: GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from this thread to sd card. ( because the system folders don't show up in file explorer on my pc)

Disconnect from pc.
Used ES File again to copy/paste GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from SD card to /System/app folder.

Rebooted

Opened Market, This triggered a request to log in (Accounts DB file renamed!!)
Logged in no problem: (this must have recreated accounts db file)

Downloaded Go Contacts

All gmail contacts visible.

Opened the Device Registrator App (smiley face Icon) that installed as part of clockwork mod rooting. Re registered with BN. I believe this can also be done from the stock settings page

Opened BN shop, all working.

Note: Go Contacts could not edit contacts. Downloaded Go Contacts EX and contact editing is available. Uninstalled original version of Go Contacts. Edited a contact in Gail from PC, Modification showed up on Nook in about 30 seconds. Could not find any sync setting on Nook but it is working in the back ground. Did not install Synker app. Cant say what effect that will add.

Did anyone manage to get this to work? I tried it and it didn't work, but my NST was wonky at the time.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google contacts, nook, sync

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)