FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Will anyone root the new Kyobo Mirasol reader?

43 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By cybercurator, Member on 5th January 2012, 03:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The world's first ereader with a color Mirasol display is finally on the market, but unfortunately it's running a severely locked-down Android by the Korean bookstore chain Kyobo. The Kyobo ui is entirely in Korean, the browser blocks downloads, and the reader app is crap. In other words, it's basically useless to anyone outside of Korea. A few enterprising Americans have imported them and been extremely disappointed. Will someone please take a look at this device and see if it can be rooted or if something else can be done to make it of use to the rest of us?
The Following User Says Thank You to cybercurator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cybercurator Ad-Free

5th January 2012, 06:30 PM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,585

Donate to Me
More
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A
The Following User Says Thank You to lufc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lufc Ad-Free
6th January 2012, 08:15 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Nate over at The Digital Reader has a firmware update that supposedly contains all of the installed apps. He is asking for someone to try and hack it. He has a download link for the firmware at The Digital Reader.
The Following User Says Thank You to cybercurator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cybercurator Ad-Free
7th January 2012, 10:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
I also posted this as a question here on XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1432283
The Following User Says Thank You to Nate the great For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nate the great Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 09:30 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
it is rooted since some time already.

files and instructions are in the following archive, but since instructions are in korean, i'll do a writeup below.

(argh! spambot won't allow this link, so you'll have to piece it together...)
www<dot>4shared<dot>com/zip/aLwRc7ZG/mirasol_rooting.html
edit: needed files are also in an attachment below

the gist is that you need to flash the boot partition via fastboot, setup root and busybox, and then modify secure->install_non_market_apps in settings.db.

you will need to have adb and fastboot from the android sdk working on your computer. There are many posts about this elsewhere, so i won't go into the details.

also, i only print filename without path, just find the corresponding file in the mentioned archive and modify the commands accordingly.

flash the boot partition via fastboot
first get your kyobo into fastboot mode (with usb cable attached) by pressing volume-down at bootup. timing here can be a bit finicky, but easiest seems to be to shut it down completely and then press just after pressing power.

issue a 'fastboot devices' on computer, if successful it should give you the response '???????????? fastboot' or similar. if empty or hangs, try again by rebooting the kyobo by pressing power with volume-up held (you can go into fastboot immediately after reboot by volume-down as expected).

when positive response above, you can flash by
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
and then reboot by
Code:
fastboot reboot
edit: simplified fastboot instructions, thanks to smb_gaiden, whose button-poking-fu is strong.

setup root and busybox
with boot partition flashed you now have adb access, so let's use it. let the device boot as normal, and then issue the following.

Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell ln -s /data/local/tmp/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
after this, install some apk's from the archive
Code:
adb install superuser.apk
adb install blackmart.apk
fix non-market apps setting
only thing left is to change a setting to allow non-market apps to be installed. if you don't care about your current settings (locale, etc), you can just push the settings.db from the archive like so:
Code:
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
if you *do* care about your settings, you'll need to pull the settings.db, edit it in some sqlite db editor (set secure->install_non_market_apps to 1) and push the result.

that's it. all rooted. now you just need to install angry birds and yer' set ;)
Attached Files
File Type: zip kyobo-rooting.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.85 MB, 309 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to throwaway4096 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift throwaway4096 Ad-Free
16th January 2012, 04:22 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Adb doesn't seem to start properly on device
Hello.
I did succeed in flashing the bootloader via fastboot.
However when I boot device - I see adb on usb only for some initial seconds, and then it disappears.
For that matter my device already had December firmware on it.
Any ideas how to activate adb on device?

Thank you,

Leonid
18th January 2012, 09:54 AM |#7  

More
it may be that persist.service.adb.enable is reset, stopping the adbd service. try flashing the attached boot image instead, see if that fixes it. it is the same as above, except that persist.service.adb.enable is ignored.

edit: i took a look at the december update, afaict it should pose no problem (very few changes in there).
Attached Files
File Type: zip kyobo-boot-force-adbd.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.62 MB, 191 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to throwaway4096 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift throwaway4096 Ad-Free
29th January 2012, 09:57 AM |#8  

More
Once these steps are done, how do you install google market?

Thanks.
30th January 2012, 07:44 PM |#9  

More
edit: the original instructions were snafu, so i replaced them with something that should actually work.

getting android market running on the kyobo
needed files are in the attached archive.

install like so:
Code:
adb remount
adb push DrmProvider.apk /system/app
adb push MediaProvider.apk /system/app
adb push DownloadProvider.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
adb push Market-3.4.4.apk /system/app
adb push init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
adb push fix-shared-user.sh /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh
wait for the reboot, find market in the menu, and off you go (with downloads this time ;)

if downloads still do not work after this, try re-executing the last line. android periodically writes to the file we are modifying, which might clobber our changes if unlucky.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kyobo-market.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.56 MB, 178 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to throwaway4096 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift throwaway4096 Ad-Free
1st February 2012, 12:26 AM |#10  

More
I am thinking about buying one of these because I have seen it on sale for 50% discount. However, the general reviews aren't too encouraging, so will rooting make any difference to overall performance?
The Following User Says Thank You to fatboy1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fatboy1976 Ad-Free
2nd February 2012, 09:50 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy1976

I have seen it on sale for 50% discount.

where is that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)