FORUMS

[Q] "Restricted access changed" + "Voice call service blocked"

35 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By inspectaclueso, Member on 8th January 2012, 11:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I purchased a Chinese Android mobile which has the MTK6573 chipset. It is called a Star A3.

Love the phone however I regularly see the alert/error "Restricted access changed" in the status bar and the signal drops off both SIMS. If I pull down the status bar and check details it says "Voice call service blocked".

What is interesting is that it is always the Vodafone NZ SIM card even if I swap cards between SIM slots. Other SIM is 2Degrees.

I've searched the internet but there seems very little info on this subject other than to say that some HD9 users have had the same issue and have Spice Mi 350n users.

Some suggest it could be a IMEI issue but I'm not so sure.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Can provide more info on request.

Thanks in advance.

*** Additional info... I've turned off my SIM data connection which was linked to my 2Degrees SIM and now both SIMS manifest the same error. If I re-enable data on the 2Degrees SIM only the Vodafone SIM gives the error ***
9th January 2012, 04:23 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have the same issue on an IHTC HD2 bought on fastcards with the same chinese android. I don t know what the problem is. Everytime I turn the phone on there is available network, but after 5sec it gets blocked for good. I only have one SIM card and data connection doesn't work. This is freaking annoying ...

Thanks for the attention
9th January 2012, 05:48 AM |#3  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Sounds like a slightly different issue than the one I have as my phone will reconnect and I can use it but it frequently drops off.

Perhaps turn your phone on without the SIM card in it and get your IMEI numbers.

You can google websites to check your IMEI numbers are valid. Perhaps they are not valid and your carrier blocks the phone?
9th January 2012, 06:30 PM |#4  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,585

Donate to Me
More
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A
10th January 2012, 01:58 AM |#5  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Have found one other thing...

If you go into mobile network settings and change the network mode from say Auto to WCDMA only or GSM only you receive the "Restricted access changed" error notification immediately so I'm guessing it is related somehow?

It would appear the "Restricted access changed" notification appears whenever the network mode is changed from 2G to 3G either automatically or manually.

Images attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	2720
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	849702   Click image for larger version

Name:	2b.jpg
Views:	3209
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	849703   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2812
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	849727  
9th March 2012, 05:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Occam's Razor strikes again
I had this same problem with an unlocked phone on AT&T network. Seemed to happen totally at random. It was driving me nuts, and nobody from AT&T could figure it out.

It occurred to me that the problem might be physical when the phone failed to recognize the SIM at all one time. Seems to be that the SIM card wasn't making good contact with the socket. I put a few pieces of scotch tape on the SIM card so that it fit a lot tighter and made really good contact, and I haven't had a single problem since.

(I don't know enough about it to explain why this worked for me, but I theorize that a loose or weak connection somehow fails out and introduces some kind of garbage data that the phone and/or network doesn't like, and it gets blocked as a result.)
The Following User Says Thank You to lvnr00tddrd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lvnr00tddrd Ad-Free
9th March 2012, 06:57 PM |#7  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the post.

The problem is that between me and my friends there are about 5 of the exact same model all doing the exact same thing.

And ALWAYS when you go into network settings and change from say AUTO (WDSA/GSM) TO GSM ONLY.

Cheers
9th March 2012, 07:52 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I'm curious to know if taping the SIM card so it makes better contact solves the problem for you. Does this problem happen with different SIM cards of different brands and networks or do you and all your friends have the same?
10th March 2012, 09:43 PM |#9  
OP Member

Donate to Me
More
Hi again, tapping the SIM card does not appear to make any difference. I've also tried thickening the SIM card by sticking a layer of tape to it.

Seems to happen in low reception areas where the phone may lose signal and then reconnect to the network... I guess similar to how it is replicated by changing network mode.

Can you repliacate it on your phone by change the network mode? e.g. auto wcdma/gsm to gsm only
12th April 2012, 01:44 PM |#10  

More
Hi i had the same version Star A3 iam frome Egypt and had the same problem i tried to put different sims from different agents but the same problem any person can tell me how to connect my android mobile with pc or from where can i get its driver
Thank you
Dr.Ahmed Hassan
21st April 2012, 07:58 AM |#11  

More
I just changed my htc desire to a one S. Same Sim. It keeps popping up 'preparing sim' and 'restricted access changed'. Never did this in the desire. Only the handset has changed. It's not a poorly fitting sim. You can shake, bash, etc. no effect. It'll happen quite often. Could certainly be as others state when switching from 3g to gsm etc.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)