FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Possible Harley electric bike

3,968 posts
Thanks Meter: 177

By MartyLK, Account currently disabled on 9th January 2012, 10:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Being a Harley Davidson bike owner and enthusiast, I've often wondered what Harley would do for an all-electric bike; how they would create a signature type drive system comparable to their patented engines they have. This concept might give them an idea.

Imagine an electric drive motor that uses plungers instead of the tradition rotor/stator type. Such technology isn't new. It can be seen in the majority of vehicle starter motors where the solenoid operates on this technology. An electric current is applied to the solenoid, which causes a magnetic propulsion effect on a metal plunger inside the solenoid driving the plunger to the opposite end of its cylinder. If HD can develop a strong enough system based on this technology, they might have their unique, signature style electric motor. There is the possibility of it being more efficient as well. Think of a V-twin electric plunger type engine where the fuel is electricity driving pistons inside their cylinders instead of fossil-fuel.

http://goo.gl/81vz0
9th January 2012, 11:46 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,109

More
The politically correct biker lol. Imagine going to a biker rally and seeing a bunch of hipsters and their electric bikes lol. No rumbling either, just a quiet hum when they drive by.
10th January 2012, 12:05 AM |#3  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmanxxl

The politically correct biker lol. Imagine going to a biker rally and seeing a bunch of hipsters and their electric bikes lol. No rumbling either, just a quiet hum when they drive by.

lol...I can imagine it!

Nevertheless, there's a lot of talk in the industry and in gov about mandating a noise-making feature for electric vehicles. The talk centers on using speakers to produce sounds to help avoid vehicle/pedestrian mergers...lol. HD could simply use their patented exhaust note and apply it to their unique V-Twin electric bikes, giving them the looks and sound of the classic HD bike.

Talk about customizing the sound system of an electric Hog! A person could make it sound like he's barreling down the road at break-neck speeds while puttering along at 25...lol.
10th January 2012, 12:27 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,109

More
I'd make mine sound like a Jetsons car.
10th January 2012, 01:14 AM |#5  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmanxxl

I'd make mine sound like a Jetsons car.

I'd probably...if the speaker system was strong enough...make mine sound like a fierce roaring lion with the press of a button. Make neighborhood friends poop themselves...lol
31st October 2019, 08:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I don’t know how to use the search or on our forum there is only one topic about electric bicycles? Does nobody ride an electric bike? I want to buy this vehicle. I see here popular models here. What do you think about them?
1st November 2019, 08:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
It will be a really bad idea.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)