By Lock-N-Load, Senior Member on 10th January 2012, 05:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th June 2012, 03:48 PM |#561  
Flag Cleveland, MS
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa2jm

Ad-hoc does not fix the problem. The tablet just doesn't connect to my phone that way. I cannot change the file due to still being stock with no root permissions. I have been reluctant to root until I get a better feel for the device, I'm past my initial 30 days, or some xda genius works out a way to unroot and relock the bootloader. I'm just not ready to throw away my warranty. If only this beast was as easy to manage as my phone!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using XDA Premium HD app

??

I never understand this confusion. Root has absolutely nothing to do with the bootloader. You can root and unroot to your heart's content and keep your warranty; just don't unlock the bootloader. Think of root just as administrator privileges like in Windows, it's just a state of being for the user (state of permissions really). The bootloader is like the BIOS/UEFI of a Windows PC, it's locked so that they can say it's your fault if you unlock it and mess something software-related completely up.

And I would have thought since they re-introduced ad-hoc into the Prime's stock software that the rest of the Eee Pad line would also keep this functionality. You're on the latest update?
9th June 2012, 05:23 PM |#562  
Flag Grand Rapids
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxtahuda

??

I never understand this confusion. Root has absolutely nothing to do with the bootloader. You can root and unroot to your heart's content and keep your warranty; just don't unlock the bootloader. Think of root just as administrator privileges like in Windows, it's just a state of being for the user (state of permissions really). The bootloader is like the BIOS/UEFI of a Windows PC, it's locked so that they can say it's your fault if you unlock it and mess something software-related completely up.

And I would have thought since they re-introduced ad-hoc into the Prime's stock software that the rest of the Eee Pad line would also keep this functionality. You're on the latest update?

Don't get me wrong, although I may not be a programmer, I do have program experience and understand all you just said. I'm simply an "all or nothing" kind of guy. If I'm going to root I'm going to also unlock the bootloader. Like one person said in a thread I read yesterday, I like to have "god-like" control just because I can. I am also hesitant to just root the device because as I understand it I'll have to downgrade to .17 and that is where the biggest risk comes in.

With that said, I am on the lastest US .29 update. I am also seriously considering unlocking the bootloader, rooting, and flashing CM9 today. The only thing that would delay the inevitable of this process would be if I figured out a way to tether this beast!
12th June 2012, 09:29 AM |#563  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question
I did as guidance first-page on my Nook Tablet 8gb ( original Rom rooted ), but after i Restart it, It can't start anymore.

then after 8-times restart , the result is that it auto recovery to Factory

how can i receive wifi from ad-hoc conection ?
13th June 2012, 11:42 PM |#564  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomimk

I'm using HTC one x and can't find wpa_supplicant2, my HTC is rooted and there is only wpa_supplicant in system/bin. I replaced it with that but wifi doesn't turn on than .

YES, this is my problem too. trying for hours now, this is so frustrating. it used to work great just a few weeks ago, now it doesnt.

i connect to a wm6 phone in wifi tether mode. both my tf101 and my droidX with ics on it have the same problem. the wpa_supplicant file is from 2008 and i cannot connect to adhoc networks. it used to work great (and still works perfectly on my droid 1 with 2.3.7 on it)

EDIT_ fixed! i gave up and insdtalled a MIUI rom, wizard's Defx. http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/mi...izard0f0s.html

works great now. this is one kick ass rom too, so i guess all of this trouble was not in vein.
16th June 2012, 08:14 PM |#565  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,049

More
people, post up if your ad hoc tethering is working on .28. post name of phone and app you using...or if its working or not
19th June 2012, 09:16 PM |#566  
Flag Alexandria, Va

More
something happened between the builds. it broke my wifi tethering. also wifi analyzer would show ad hoc connection in red. if i tried to connect through there. it tells me android doesn't support this yet. I can go into regular settings into wifi and it'll see the signal and say saved. but when I press connect, it does nothing.

So I figured let me try this old method again of getting tether to work. well it worked. renamed the original wpa_supplicant2 file and added. bak at the end. then inserted the patched one (renamed of course) to system/bin. set permissions & my wifi tether is working again. Asus clearly did something, I'm not sure if it was on .28 or this test build, .28.5. but one of those broke my tethering abilities and reverted prime back to the old days..lol. so all in all, on this new test build, I had to use this method, in op, to get my tethering working again. SMH
24th June 2012, 02:54 AM |#567  
OP Senior Member
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 390

More
My prime tells me there is no update available so I'm not yet on .28 so I cannot yet test if .28 broke it for me... go figure. If I ever get .28 - even tried forcing it to look for the update - I will report if .28 breaks adhoc again.

Either way at least this original hack can fix that issue thank God
24th June 2012, 03:11 AM |#568  
Flag Alexandria, Va

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

My prime tells me there is no update available so I'm not yet on .28 so I cannot yet test if .28 broke it for me... go figure. If I ever get .28 - even tried forcing it to look for the update - I will report if .28 breaks adhoc again.

Either way at least this original hack can fix that issue thank God

actually, it might be best for you to manually update through Asus website. its a more complete update than the OTA. the OTA gave alot of people issues as incomplete ones came through. the. 28 update is there.

don't even worry about rooting. just update through ASUS website. after you update, let it boot into the OS into the homescreen. then immediately reboot tablet again. this will give your update best performance. this is what I do(as instructed by Asus) when I'm testing their new builds. after you on. 28, just use Sparky new tool to root.28. he modded vipernod tool. works on .21, .28, and the newer .28.5 build I've been testing.
17th July 2012, 09:34 AM |#569  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i've tried it on my samsung galaxy s3 using stocked rom 4.0.4 ics. it won't work at all. wifi won't on at all
17th July 2012, 03:27 PM |#570  
Flag Cleveland, MS
Thanks Meter: 162

More
My Prime as well stopped seeing any updates after .21. Also every single reboot was met with an "update complete" message, so that's why I did the following.

I finally just updated, wiped, rooted, and restored from Titanium (after reverting to my old device id). Haven't been able to play with it much, but I can't believe it's still not 4.04.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium
18th July 2012, 07:49 AM |#571  
Flag Harwich
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Anyone know how to get tether working on cm9 i looked everywhere and cant find a solution

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)