FORUMS

Rooted my Stock Gingerbread 2.3.5!

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By froggy3hope, Junior Member on 13th January 2012, 09:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am posting to say that I just successfully rooted my Captivate....

KK4 Kernel
Gingerbread 2.3.5 (Now rooted!)

As you can see I'm super excited and this is why!

Thanks to this forum! Flashing AT&T Stock Gingerbread; now KK4, Gingerbread 2.3.5
And to nakedninja42 !

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE TO WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE.
HOWEVER, THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM ON MINE!

So first I ....
Updated via Kies....First to Eclair then to Froyo bc I was coming from a custom.
Begin by putting it in Download mode!!!!!

1: Flash I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar for root with Odin by Placing it in the PDA slot
CLICK START.
2: Boot once, (it will install root) then shut down.
3: Download mode again!
4: Reflash the original KK4 kernel by placing it in the PDA slot in ODIN (If you do not change the kernel back to KK4 after root, you could have wifi issues)
CLICK START.
vvvvvvvvvvvv THE REST ARE nakedninja42's INSTRUCTIONS vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
5:Settings>Applications> enable Unknown Sources

7:You can also Update Superuser from market (may be updated already) https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

8: Install busybox from market
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to froggy3hope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift froggy3hope Ad-Free
13th January 2012, 10:53 PM |#2  
Flag Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 701

Donate to Me
More
I just read the other forum saying that the kernel build date is different than the leak. I had not seen that previous to our conversation. The tar for the stock KK4 I provided is from the leak update. I am still working on decrypting the kies update I obtained from the Samsung server. Glad its working, let us know if you experience any weird issues.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nakedninja42 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nakedninja42 Ad-Free
13th January 2012, 10:59 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
That information is completely incorrect. The leak and the official release are identical.
The Following User Says Thank You to Time_Zone For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Time_Zone Ad-Free
13th January 2012, 11:05 PM |#4  
Flag Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 701

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_Zone

That information is completely incorrect. The leak and the official release are identical.

I thought that as well since the build.prop had the same date. But someone in the other thread said the kernel was a different build date. If it works, awesome!
13th January 2012, 11:09 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Mississippi
Thanks Meter: 32

More
UPDATE
It has been working great guys!

I installed BusyBox and installed all my apps with TB.

So happy!
13th January 2012, 11:57 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The version listed in the build.prop was different between the leak and AT&Ts release at least when i checked before and after my update, but it is possible my experience waa unique. Regardless, there was not enough of a difference between the kernels other than that to say that they are in fact different in way other than that. I will say that i have been running root via the old fugu method and the leaked kernel since the day it came out and it has been flawless. I still have noticed increased stabilty on the official vs leaked but have no idea why as i restored all my apps and settings the same as before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium
14th January 2012, 02:59 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for posting these instructions! Worked like a charm for me! I just wanted to be able to get rid of all the AT&T bloatware. Thanks Again.

Johnny
14th January 2012, 07:40 AM |#8  

More
Thank you for posting the instructions! Worked for me also.
14th January 2012, 06:35 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
worked perfectly last night
Thank You

Samsung Captivat Galaxy S

Update to froyo from Keis then to Gingerbread
now rooted thanks to You.

Best this phone has ever worked!
14th January 2012, 09:29 PM |#10  
Flag Lancaster, PA

More
Talking official 2.3.5 gingerbread Cappy w/Root
I followed the instructions in the OP.
Thank you
After doing some research I decided this was the cleanest way to go, I'm fairly happy with stock roms minus the bloatware. Just my personal preference since I don't want to put a lot of time into trying different roms, at least not at this time. Only thing I didn't check was the kernel version from the official compared to after this process. I read some posts that the leaked was the same as the official rom but then another person noted that the official version seemed to be a little less buggy/stable. Maybe just a software/settings issue and not kernel. Not sure. But I am restoring my titanium backup right now loading the apps w/out data to prevent any conflict. I am also being very selective about what system data I restore just as a precaution.
To enter download mode easily, I used a command prompt to execute "adb reboot download" from an adb folder i copied out of SuperOneClick. I moved the folder to a more convenient location for accessing it from the command prompt, and to keep files and tools organized together.

One note about my experience with the official gingerbread 2.3.5 release.
I was running stock/official 2.2 rooted and gcalender would only sync or display my default "account name" calender. After using Kies mini to upgrade to 2.3.5 I thought it would be fixed since that was suppose to be one of the issues addressed in gingerbread. To my surprise even after syncing the calendar options did not change. I was saddened, so I performed a factory reset wiping all my apps and data, however! After setting up my google account through the first run/start up wizard (not sure it matters but what I did) and all my calendars show up. I guess the only question left, regarding calendar sync is will it continue to add new calendars as I add them on the server.

Time will tell, Good luck!
14th January 2012, 10:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Talking
Thank you! I upgraded to the new gingerbread this morning via kies and quickly realized I had lost my phone being rooted! I followed your instructions exactly and rooted with no issues! Thanks you again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2.3.5, gingerbread, root, stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)