FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Adreno 205 Vs Adreno 220 with Fpse openGL plugin

881 posts
Thanks Meter: 137

By i900frenchaddict, Senior Member on 13th January 2012, 11:33 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So as you can see in my signature, I've been implied into fpse for years, before Android existed, when it was FpseCE for Windows Mobile

For people who don't know, Fpse is the best playstation emulator for Android (and WinMo of course)

Fpse has just been updated with an openGL plugin, giving impressive graphics

But here is the fact: with an Adreno 205 (example! Xperia Play), the new openGL plugin is really fast
With mali 400, it has compatibility problems, some gfx glitches, but the working games are fast

BUT on the Sensation, as well as the Evo 3D, so our Qualcomm CPU + Adreno 220 combo, it's slow !!!!!!! (for me, and reported slow by every adreno 220 users on Fpse forum so far)

Example? => games in full 3D like Tekken 3 or time crisis are more than 50% slower on a Sensation than on a Galaxy S2, a Xperia Xplay, and every other device with Adreno 205
Time crisis is exactly 66% slower on my Sensation at 1.7 Ghz than on an Xplay
(in terms of Frames Per Second, displayed by Fpse)

Forget about Gameloft games, emulation is another field, much more ressources demanding, no need to comment to say you have Angry birds or GTA3 running smooth, it's totally different.

Trying some possibilities with Schtruck (Fpse developper), trying to change some memory allocation features with modified versions of the plugin, it was impossible to improve these poor results.

So how can it be explained??? How can a single core with Adreno 205 perform better than a dual core with Adreno 220? (remind: it's also twice faster with a mali400, faster with powerVR GPU, onlt Adreno 220 is slow!)

What differences are here between Adreno 205 drivers and Adreno 220 ones?

Any hint appreciated, since I now hate my Sensation

EDIT: if you have a Sensation or an Evo3D, and have Fpse latest version with openGL plugin, please try games like Tekken 3, Gran Turismo, or another full 3D game, not an RPG like Final Fantasy, without frameskip, and repport displayed FPS. If you can go above 60 fps for Tekken 3, tell me which ROM you're using!!

13th January 2012, 11:54 PM |#2  
Flag Socal
Thanks Meter: 126

More
My inclination is to say that the explanation is HTC. Adreno 220 itself is a pretty good GPU. HTC f***** so much up with software with the Sensation that my bet is that it's something on HTC's end that is to blame.
14th January 2012, 03:32 AM |#3  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Janitor Mop

My inclination is to say that the explanation is HTC. Adreno 220 itself is a pretty good GPU. HTC f***** so much up with software with the Sensation that my bet is that it's something on HTC's end that is to blame.

True.harware-wise the Adreno 220 is much more powerful than the 205.
14th January 2012, 12:08 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dijon

More
that's also Schtruck's opinion about it, the software, drivers, are full of junk.

But hell, I get about 20 fps for Tekken 3 on my Sensation when Schtruck gets about 80 !

yesterday, we tested Time Crisis 2 with same settings at the same time, he was getting 66% more fps on his Xperia Play, so depending on the games, the difference ranges from 1/2 to 1/4, that's way too much!

Did I mention that using CF3D doesn't change anything?

That really sucks! Something must be done. Schtruck will continue to look for a fix, he doesn't have an Adreno 220, I hope he will borrow one to plug the debogger while Fpse is running
24th January 2012, 12:52 AM |#5  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 204

More
i have an evo 3d and have been playing final fantasy ix which used to run terribly on version 0.10.37 for some reason. frameskip would make the game run at 60 fps however it would also make the animations all jerky. with the new version the game runs fine on soft mode but the graphics using the opengl driver are to die for! i noticed turning framelimiter off gives me around 10 more fps. i get an average of around 45-55 depending what's happening. it runs pretty well considering the graphical boost but it`s kind of aggravating knowing that adreno 205 owners are getting fps boosts! i hope this issue is fixed soon
27th January 2012, 12:27 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
My Xperia Play using FPSE with the opengl plugin is getting around 26-36 FPS on Gran Turismo 2 without any frameskip used, this makes the game run at approximately half speed, playable but slow motion, so no fun. With Frameskip enabled I get from 32-60 FPS, but its very choppy at times, so its like 55 on the straights, 32 on the turns etc, hard to play without feeling its having trouble.

Anyone else have numbers they can post? or advice on how I can get the smoothness and playability up so that I can enjoy the gaming with the OpenGL plugin.
1st February 2012, 10:38 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dijon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleX1

My Xperia Play using FPSE with the opengl plugin is getting around 26-36 FPS on Gran Turismo 2 without any frameskip used, this makes the game run at approximately half speed, playable but slow motion, so no fun. With Frameskip enabled I get from 32-60 FPS, but its very choppy at times, so its like 55 on the straights, 32 on the turns etc, hard to play without feeling its having trouble.

Anyone else have numbers they can post? or advice on how I can get the smoothness and playability up so that I can enjoy the gaming with the OpenGL plugin.

Can you tell me your ROM (and Android base) ? So that I can compare to Schtruck's Xplay, he has really better results it seems.
1st February 2012, 10:41 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 233

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by i900frenchaddict

that's also Schtruck's opinion about it, the software, drivers, are full of junk.

This seems to have been true for years.

I remember reading an article a while ago about HTC's Windows Mobile graphic drivers and how poor they were even then.

If I find it I'll post it here.

Edit: Found them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_TyT..._driver_issues
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/25/h...mprove-future/
6th July 2012, 08:56 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
any updates on opengl for the 220?
7th July 2012, 02:27 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,527

Donate to Me
More
Try different opengl drivers or a true senseless rom
9th July 2012, 07:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
There's a new forum thread on FPSE about OpenGL. Go to the FPSE forums and search for "Understanding FPSE and PEOpS OpenGL"

(I'm still a new member so I can't post links).

The issue with the 220 seems to have come up again, and doing a quick search in the fpse forums shows a couple people commenting on it over the last couple months.

I'm going to add it to a new section in my main post about hardware. Also, I'll see if I can get more info from schtruck and i900frenchaddict.

Question: how do you use a different driver? I'm not aware of anyway to change the driver on non-rooted phones other than updates from the manufacturer. And, on rooted phone, I'm not sure that different drivers exist - do they? I think the only option is other ROMs or apps like chainfire 3d
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)