FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MODDING] [TOOL] Fastboot binary for ARM machines (root required)

2,243 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,448

By josteink, Senior Member on 15th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Following the "if you didn't make it, it doesn't belong here (in the development section)" guideline, I'm posting this in General. If a mod thinks this fits better in development, feel free to move it.

What this is: A fastboot executable binary for using the fastboot protocol to control other devices which supports fastboot, like the Galaxy Nexus or other Nexus-phones.

What this isn't: Fastboot bootloader-support for the transformer.

What this doesn't come with: Any sort of warranties. You take this as is. If your fastboot-capable device explodes when using it, I take no responsibility.

With that said:

This is a seemingly fully functional fastboot binary, so that you can mod your Nexus phone from the transformer (you did know it ships with adb out of the box, right? )

Usage:

To use it simply open a console and root up:

Code:
$ su
#
Ensure adb runs as root: (without root, adb wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# adb kill-server
# adb start-server
Boot into bootloader:

Code:
# adb devices
-- your device here
# adb reboot bootloader
Still as root, run fastbootarm: (without root, fastboot wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# fastbootarm devices
-- voila. your device here. mod along
# fastbootarm boot recovery-mylittlepony.img
-- etc
So far this thing has been confirmed working on the Asus Transformer TF101, Raspberry Pi and Nexus 7. Chances are it will work on any armel7 (or better) target.

Installation:

Fastboot arm is attached to this post. Download, unpack and copy to your transformer:

Code:
$ adb devices
-- your transformer here
$ adb push fastbootarm /sdcard/
$ adb shell
android$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/fastbootarm /system/xbin/
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/fastbootarm 
# mount -o remount,ro /system
# exit
android$ exit
$
All credit to IEF on #asus-transformer / Freenode. It was compiled by him (since I tried and failed and asked super-duper-nicely) from the Android source using "general" build-target. As such, it might be useful on other Android-devices which also supports USB host mode.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z fastbootarm.7z - [Click for QR Code] (280.3 KB, 2544 views)
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to josteink For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift josteink Ad-Free

16th January 2012, 07:55 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
One-time-bump for the European daytime crew.
16th January 2012, 08:07 AM |#3  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 471

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by josteink

One-time-bump for the European daytime crew.

Thanks for the bump

I just saw this and will download as soon as i get to my pc this is awesome!!!!

Sent from my tf Enigmatic V2 beta 1.65Ghz Panda.test cust kernel settings
13th July 2012, 01:12 AM |#4  
Could this binary be run on a desktop linux distro such as Debian running on an ARM-based chip? Specifically I am wondering if I could use it to control my Nexus one from my Raspberry Pi which uses a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC containing a ARM1176JZFS CPU.
13th July 2012, 06:28 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
I'm still not 100% familiar with the Raspberry Pi and wat Arm-type CPU it is, and if it's armel7 or whatever. Iirc this binary was compiled using an armel7 toolchain, so it should probably work on armel7 or better systems.

If the raspberry pi is same or better though, I don't know. I would hazard a guess to "maybe".

One thing is sure: It doesn't link to Android itself, so it should be able to run in any normal Linux-environment.

Try it, and report back?
The Following User Says Thank You to josteink For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift josteink Ad-Free
15th July 2012, 10:11 PM |#6  
Talking
Quote:

I'm still not 100% familiar with the Raspberry Pi and wat Arm-type CPU it is, and if it's armel7 or whatever. Iirc this binary was compiled using an armel7 toolchain, so it should probably work on armel7 or better systems.

If the raspberry pi is same or better though, I don't know. I would hazard a guess to "maybe".

One thing is sure: It doesn't link to Android itself, so it should be able to run in any normal Linux-environment.

Try it, and report back?

I've given it a quick test and a can happily report that it works! Thanks a lot for compiling this. Do you mind if I link to this thread from the Raspberry Pi forums? I know many Pi owners are Android users and so would probably be interested.
26th July 2012, 07:57 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollac11

I've given it a quick test and a can happily report that it works! Thanks a lot for compiling this. Do you mind if I link to this thread from the Raspberry Pi forums? I know many Pi owners are Android users and so would probably be interested.

Feel free

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to josteink For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift josteink Ad-Free
1st August 2012, 06:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Sweet! This works on my nexus 7 and my galaxy nexus!
3rd August 2012, 07:33 AM |#9  
Flag GTA
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Buddy, still i cant get it. You meant if i use the binary i can modd my nexus through my tf101?
or can you simply tell me what does it do ?
3rd August 2012, 07:44 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oslo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost866

You meant if i use the binary i can modd my nexus through my tf101?

Yes. Just that.

It means you don't need to dig out a PC when you want to do things which requires that you have fastboot host. You can do it on your TF101, Raspberry Pi, Nexus 7, etc.
3rd August 2012, 08:48 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:

Following the "if you didn't make it, it doesn't belong here (in the development section)" guideline, I'm posting this in General. If a mod thinks this fits better in development, feel free to move it.

What this is: A fastboot executable binary for using the fastboot protocol to control other devices which supports fastboot, like the Galaxy Nexus or other Nexus-phones.

What this isn't: Fastboot bootloader-support for the transformer.

What this doesn't come with: Any sort of warranties. You take this as is. If your fastboot-capable device explodes when using it, I take no responsibility.

With that said:

This is a seemingly fully functional fastboot binary, so that you can mod your Nexus phone from the transformer (you did know it ships with adb out of the box, right? )

Usage:

To use it simply open a console and root up:

Code:
$ su
#
Ensure adb runs as root: (without root, adb wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# adb kill-server
# adb start-server
Boot into bootloader:

Code:
# adb devices
-- your device here
# adb reboot bootloader
Still as root, run fastbootarm: (without root, fastboot wont be able to use the USB ports)

Code:
# fastbootarm devices
-- voila. your device here. mod along
# fastbootarm boot recovery-mylittlepony.img
-- etc
So far this thing has been confirmed working on the Asus Transformer TF101, Raspberry Pi and Nexus 7. Chances are it will work on any armel7 (or better) target.

Installation:

Fastboot arm is attached to this post. Download, unpack and copy to your transformer:

Code:
$ adb devices
-- your transformer here
$ adb push fastbootarm /sdcard/
$ adb shell
android$ su
# mount -o remount,rw /system
# cp /sdcard/fastbootarm /system/xbin/
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/fastbootarm 
# mount -o remount,ro /system
# exit
android$ exit
$
All credit to IEF on #asus-transformer / Freenode. It was compiled by him (since I tried and failed and asked super-duper-nicely) from the Android source using "general" build-target. As such, it might be useful on other Android-devices which also supports USB host mode.

With this can i use the command fastboot oem unlock??

Sent from my nexus s using xda app
The Following User Says Thank You to Spidergio For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Spidergio Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)