FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Galaxy Note Inductive Charging Mod

44 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By malefactor, Member on 18th January 2012, 01:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I modified my Galaxy Note to use inductive charging via a palm touchstone / patch.

Just a quick note. Not a whole lot to contribute here, because I largely followed the examples of the Qian Qi. That guy is awesome.

I don't think I voided a warranty, either. Only minimal teardown required (black plastic back, then the speaker section). Never came across a sticker I had to remove....

Useful links:

galaxy s inductive charging mod
evo 4g induction charging mod
galaxy note teardown video
galaxy note teardown pics

Notes:

- Buy a good soldering iron. Weller WESD51, set to 610 deg F, with 1/32" long conical tip, with lots of flux and lots of flux remover are the only reason I could do this. I can't stress enough the value of having good temperature control, knowledge of temperature, and so forth. I stumbled around with an "ordinary" soldering iron for a long time, and in hindsite, I can't believe I did so.

- Do not choke on the price. I already had a lot of soldering gear, and I bought $220 more. Spend the money. It's worth it.

- Watch the curious inventor youtube videos on soldering. This guy. Watch everything, several times. http://store.curiousinventor.com/

- You want 30 gauge wire. It's the only thing that just barely can be crammed in. I used the "Kynar" coated type. Buy at least 2 colors.

- as you look at the phone disassembled, with speaker on the bottom left, the +5 pin on the micro usb (MHL) port is the leftmost. I attached a wire to that, and a ground wire to the housing where the port was soldered.

- routed the wires under the speaker, then back, then into a VERY slight indentation into the battery compartment. used a blue "safe open" tool to help shape the wire / crimp ends. Once in the battery compartment, you're golden. Attach the inductive charging coil to the back of the samsung plastic back, add solder to the pads, and attach the wires.

- Attached is a picture with roughly how I routed wires. Red is +5V, Blue is ground. Be sure and double check if my recollection is right where the indentation is into the battery compartment. (that part is by memory).

- dont leave too much slack. it's really hard to get the samsung black pastic panel back on. Mine very slightly bulges.

- be careful where you put the charging sticky patch, because this phone is a little bit bigger than a palm pre. You have to consider if the phone can sit on the charger and "lock in" with the magnets. If you place it too high, it actually can't (in portrait)!

- Qian Qi had a really interesting point: most articles about how Li-ion batteries behave are wrong, and fully discharging the battery drastically reduces the number of cycles you have. So this is actually a very useful mod--whenever you don't use the phone, toss it on the charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire routing.jpg
Views:	4159
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	861703  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to malefactor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift malefactor Ad-Free

18th January 2012, 09:41 PM |#2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Thanks for summing it up! Was actually thinking of doing this mod myself. Question: do you have a protective case on your Note? If so - what kind and how badly does it affect the magnetic properties?
21st January 2012, 10:14 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
No case. Especially because the note is so big, I think it would be unmanageable.

I took the samsung thin plastic back, and placed the Palm PRE (with charging coil still attached) on top of it, on the touchstone -- to figure out proper placement & mark with a pencil. I noticed a buzzing sound, coming from (I think) the induction coil on the palm pre back itself. I suspect if you use a case, this wont work well.

Also, the size/weight/placement of the galaxy note are such that the magnets are just barely strong enough to hold it. One time my phone was near, but off, the charger. I'm not sure if vibration from the phone did that, or my kids :)

In summary, I'm not sure how well it would work with a case. You might be able to research this on the net; among the 15 or 20 people that have bought a Pre, you might be able to find some info about the effect of a case on inductive charging.
18th May 2012, 10:53 AM |#4  
shepherdsville
Thanks Meter: 2

More
tight squeeze?
im wanting to try this mod i have my touchstone on the way not thank you amazon but it seems like to me that the pad from the pre wouldnt fit under the cover of our phablet =/ could you post pics of the finished product and i think this is the only instance that i have seen someone attempt this with the note and i want to try it i love my note but would love it even more with inductive charging.
20th May 2012, 05:13 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I am not the original author but I performed a different Touchstone mod and posted pics here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...oto-heavy.html

Hope it helps!

-darren

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to dgfriedl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dgfriedl Ad-Free
20th May 2012, 07:26 AM |#6  
shepherdsville

More
Thank you!!!
Thank you so much for your post I have my materials on the way but I hadn't seen a detailed guide for the note other than this one and was worried I would have to solder directly to the usb pins which looked scary lol I did have two questions though would your mod work the same way for the at&t note? Specifically the points where you soldered to the phone and can wireless charging be performed through a case?
22nd May 2012, 02:17 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Hey, OP here. You may want to hold off just a bit. Mine is exhibiting some issues now. As in, it says "charging" but it doesn't do so wirelessly. The phone will stay "charging" but the battery % never goes up. (It was slow before, but would charge fully over a night).

Charging via USB still works.

It may be something simple; I'm not sure. But I need to crack it open and take a peek, and I haven't had time to do that yet because my phone is functional at the moment.

If nothing has conspicuously changed, there may be something about the design that isn't sustainable. Or maybe my solder joint halfway broke, or one of the wires got smashed enough so that it's partially broken...

I'll write back with my findings. Bug me if I don't :)
22nd May 2012, 04:25 AM |#8  
shepherdsville

More
Thanks for the notice I was about to pull the trigger lol tbh I probably shouldn't attempt this I've never done a mod like this before and I'm not exactly a surgeon with a soldering iron lolvthatvbeing being said I'm going to attempt this on an old evo 4g I have before I do surgery on my baby lol plus I'm already familiar with the guts of an evo from screen repairs ill report back with my results
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
23rd May 2012, 06:07 PM |#9  
shepherdsville

More
Success it took some doing but I got it I haven't done the mod on my note yet but I did it on my evo last night and it works its rough I haven't cleaned it up yet but I'll post the pics I got this mod from www.goodandevo.net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337792733772.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1079236   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337792753105.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1079239   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337792766177.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1079240   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337792786148.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1079241   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337792801016.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1079242  
14th July 2012, 07:14 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for this post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
14th July 2012, 08:16 PM |#11  
shepherdsville

More
No prob I just wanted to see if i could do it and if I can do it with little soldering experience I'm sure most could do it I haven't done this mod to my galaxy note though as there is way less room in its a far more complicated mod than the evo because you have to make room for wires in a device samsung made as thin as possible and the way you have to route the wires I feel like the solder joints would just break

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)