[ROM] Pre-rooted stock 6.2.2

Search This thread

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
Swype?

Anybody using Swype that has installed this pre-rooted 6.2.2? With all the gyrations I had to do in /system to get Swype working, I don't want to have to go through that again. So if anyone had Swype working and put this pre-rooted 6.2.2 on did your Swype keep working, start FC again, disappear completely etc?

GBH2

Apr 11, 2008
MA
Anybody using Swype that has installed this pre-rooted 6.2.2? With all the gyrations I had to do in /system to get Swype working, I don't want to have to go through that again. So if anyone had Swype working and put this pre-rooted 6.2.2 on did your Swype keep working, start FC again, disappear completely etc?

Swype continued to work fine after I installed pre-rooted 6.2.2, and it still works fine since I installed the new pre-rooted 6.3(one of the first things I checked was to make sure Swype still worked, lol). Go for it!

Reactions: jb0ne

jb0ne

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks, I went ahead and put this on and zero problems with anything. I'm holding off on 6.3 though, hoping someone makes an incremental version, I really don't want my /system wiped after all the hassles I went through getting Swype, contact & calendar syncing, gapps etc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've put together a pre-rooted version of the stock 6.2.2 update from (link courtesy of b63). I did this like the 6.2.1 pre-rooted zip, in that it's just the stock update without the bootloader/recovery images and with su/Superuser/busybox added. So as a quick summary:

• This will format and replace your /system partition, meaning you will need to reinstall anything that was modified or added there (Market, maps framework, etc). This also means it should be good to use as a fresh ROM - I tested by wiping my /system partition and flashing it and it installed just fine.
    • It's built to be installed via TWRP, or really any custom recovery should work.
    • Superuser, the su binary, and busybox are pre-installed and symlinked.
    • This does not have any modifications intended to block OTA updates. Other than the necessary root binaries it is completely stock.
    • Installing this will not touch your bootloader or recovery partitions. The updated images for both of those have been removed and the script will not attempt to install them.
    • Wiping /data shouldn't be necessary if you're on another stock build (wasn't needed for my testing).
    • If you're already on 6.2.2, this won't root you (you want jcase's thread for that).

I have an "unsecure" boot image version and a "secure" boot image version. Unsecure means adbd is running as root so you get a # (root prompt) immediately when you shell in with adb. Secure means you get a $ (user prompt) when you shell and need to use 'su' to elevate to root.

As with most ROMs and such, a backup is recommended before flashing, flash at your own risk, etc etc. I've tested this on my Fire several times and had no issues, but I can't guarantee 100% that it will work for everyone (though I don't see any reason it won't). If you see errors about the '/misc' partition, don't worry - TWRP is looking for it but the KF doesn't have that partition. It won't affect the install.

Enjoy!

Downloads

Mediafire links:
    Pre-rooted stock 6.2.2 - unsecure boot image (md5: eb0139533593edb8d7a4a2aae22e1cd8)
    Pre-rooted stock 6.2.2 - secure boot image (md5: cdf032c3543da5805a1b1204247876db)​

Multiupload links (appear down, but I'll leave 'em for now in case they come back)
    Pre-rooted stock 6.2.2 - unsecure boot image (md5: eb0139533593edb8d7a4a2aae22e1cd8)
    Pre-rooted stock 6.2.2 - secure boot image (md5: cdf032c3543da5805a1b1204247876db)​
    I've been using pre-rooted 6.2.1 ROM, will updating to this one reformat the /system partition and wipe out everything?

Yes, it will format /system, even if you're running the 6.2.1 I made previously. It's easiest to just think of it as a separate ROM, not an update to the 6.2.1 one (although of course the only difference is Amazon's updates between 6.2.1 and 6.2.2).

FWIW, I just use Titanium to back up the Market and Google Maps and I keep a copy of the maps framework jar/xml files on my sdcard so I can copy them back over. That and if the Market has updated itself it shouldn't get blown out anyway since the Market update apparently installs itself to /data instead of /system. GoogleServicesFramework should stick around in /data, too, but I back that up as well anyway.

Swype continued to work fine after I installed pre-rooted 6.2.2, and it still works fine since I installed the new pre-rooted 6.3(one of the first things I checked was to make sure Swype still worked, lol). Go for it!