FORUMS

Note Taking App That is comparable to "Notability" from IOS

23 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By BringItSon, Junior Member on 19th January 2012, 04:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just got my first android tab(TFP). Everything is so far so good. Frankly was really worried since there are tons of people whining about Wifi, bleeding and even short charger cable(lol mine wasnt short at all)

Either way, biggest and maybe only disappointment i have with my tablet is that there is nothing on Android Market that is comparable to "Notability" from IOS.

If you have an Ipad, you know what i am talking about.... I looked around for a while and cant find anything as good. I was wondering if anyone can make an recommendation on a note taking app that is similar to Notability.
19th January 2012, 05:00 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I've never used the app, but have you taken a look at Evernote? Or am I completely off base?
19th January 2012, 05:01 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewaynec

I've never used the app, but have you taken a look at Evernote? Or am I completely off base?

bit off base, Notability is focused on handwriting with fingers or stylus. With Evernote, you have to type notes or have to draw it.
19th January 2012, 10:53 AM |#4  
Flag Bradford
Thanks Meter: 181

Donate to Me
More
Wouldn't it just be as fast to type than to write anyway?

Booya!
19th January 2012, 10:57 AM |#5  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Hey!
I am using Epistle and once I got familiar with the interface I don't feel like switching.
As for hand writing - there are some keyboards that come in handy. I am using SlideIT and while not hand writing it's ridiculously fast to type this way.
11th April 2012, 03:18 PM |#6  
Flag Columbia, SC
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I have been wondering the same thing. My co-worker has an ipad2 and I think notability is freaking awesome. I was trying to find an equivalent for my Xoom and can't. Why cant someone make an equivalent? Notability is awesome and only costs 99cents in the app store.
4th May 2012, 08:32 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringItSon

I just got my first android tab(TFP). Everything is so far so good. Frankly was really worried since there are tons of people whining about Wifi, bleeding and even short charger cable(lol mine wasnt short at all)

Either way, biggest and maybe only disappointment i have with my tablet is that there is nothing on Android Market that is comparable to "Notability" from IOS.

If you have an Ipad, you know what i am talking about.... I looked around for a while and cant find anything as good. I was wondering if anyone can make an recommendation on a note taking app that is similar to Notability.

I don't have an iPad but I do have a tf300 and would love to have Notability or Penultimate on Android. The only apps I found that are similar to Notability or Penultimate are:
- Papyrus Beta (seems to be the only one with Palm rejection)
- Writepad Stylus
- LectureNotes
- Handrite Note Pro (another user recommended "Genial Writing" as a better app)
I'm not sure about that claim, but that's what I found so far.

There are some more related android apps but some of them have mixed reviews, and do not seem very reliable.

At this point I have not found an app that comes close to Notability, and it seems that Notability won't be available for android (at least not soon).

Dan says:
March 8, 2012 at 12:53 am
Well it’s leaving us all out in the dark. There’s nothing that comes close in the android market…

Emergency Medic says:
March 11, 2012 at 1:38 am
Seriously, I know people who’ve bought iPads just to be able to use this app! Think about it – I understand the need for an android version but I’m going to be selfish and plead with the Devs to keep the focus on iOS

Fred Mitchell on March 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm said:
Thanks everyone for your interest in Notability. I am with Ginger Labs, the developer of Notability.
Carolyn did a nice job reviewing the app, thanks Carolyn!

For now, we are focused on iOS devices, the first being iPad, and we’re considering an iPhone version and possibly a version for the computer. We’re getting more requests for an Android version every week, and will consider it, but probably after the other versions are complete.
4th May 2012, 09:59 PM |#8  
Flag MILAN
Thanks Meter: 317

More
I think the new pensuite for the Samsung Galaxy Note has some features which are similar to the ones of notability.... Maybe a port of it could come even for tablets, once we'll have the ics version..
8th May 2012, 03:43 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 753

Donate to Me
More
I am the author of LectureNotes, so my opinion is probably somewhat biased. In any case, I want to point out that to develop apps for iPad is significantly easier than to develop apps for Android: There is only one hardware manufacturer, one system version, and two screen resolutions (the latter only since very recently), etc. The world of Android is much more colorful and challenging: There are multiple hardware variants, various system versions, a multitude of screen resolutions, etc., not to talk about devices that do not behave in accordance with the documentation. As a consequence, the time and money you need to invest in app development is not comparable, and this is of course true for all handwriting apps in Android, not just for LectureNotes. Please consider this when comparing apps.

BTW: In difference to what is stated above, LectureNotes does have a palm rejection, either hardware based (for devices with active pens), software emulated (some devices), or a heuristic (all other devices) (also WritePad Stylus has a palm rejection.) But if you want to do serious note taking with your device, I definitely recommend a tablet with an active pen, irrespective of what Android app you use.
7th March 2013, 08:18 AM |#10  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Its now 2013. Has ANYONE found a comparable app yet? Has any development improved? I use and love Evernote. Just wish I could freely type, draw and write notes like Notability.
25th August 2013, 06:07 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram130

Its now 2013. Has ANYONE found a comparable app yet? Has any development improved? I use and love Evernote. Just wish I could freely type, draw and write notes like Notability.

Found this old thread and I'm wondering the same thing! Does anyone have any good ideas? I'm getting a tablet later this year specifically for pdf reading and editing, and would love to get a nexus 7 rather than an ipad mini, but unfortunately notability is tipping the scales towards the ipad.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)