FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Boot Animation] 2 Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy boot animations (1 old 1 new)

552 posts
Thanks Meter: 120

By plasticarmyman, Senior Member on 26th January 2012, 12:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
See, it is of my opinion that any tablet/ebook reader out there should have a HHGTTG boot animation at least...because c'mon...that's what it is...almost...

Ok, so far I have some old gif's from the original TV show, so they are kinda low res and sketchy, I've compiled it into a package...and i've got it working...so the bootanimation.zip at the bottom of this post is the old school TV show animation...compiled from these 3 gifs, in the same order and ending with the blue background "Don't Panic"

they are a little slower on purpose and only looped twice...
and it ends with this picture

and then, if you have a slow boot time, it will loop as many times as it takes to boot...but yep..there we go :)

for examples on how to push this over to your device here are two threads

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863439

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Boot_A...nd_replacement

thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet tweaked old school HHGTTG boot animation
------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you downloaded this and like it..please gimme a thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to plasticarmyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift plasticarmyman Ad-Free

26th January 2012, 04:05 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
Talking
the animation posted above is the wonky one...with the old stuff...i'll work on it so it fits the NC and isn't all wonky

this boot animation is this video in landscape mode..i clipped the last 2 seconds off so that the don't panic is bright

and i ended with this image

so all you have to do is put the bootanimation.zip into data/local and system/bin

you're welcome my geeks...you now have a copy of The Guide

well as long as you have the wikidroid app installed

EDIT: now it is smoother and nicer looking...it may not make it to the end for us who have a faster boot time...but *shrug* at least it doesn't look like the guide is on speed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW SCHOOL HHGTTG boot animation taken from the most recent movie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you downloaded this and like it..please gimme a thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to plasticarmyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift plasticarmyman Ad-Free
26th January 2012, 06:23 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Sounds like an awesome idea, looking forward to it.
27th January 2012, 07:16 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
some more news...
ok so far i've converted the mp4 file into 4 gif files, simply because my NC boots up in less than a minute, there is no reason for my boot animation to have over 300 frames....but i may try it still just to see if it works...

the great thing about making your own boot animation is if it doesn't work...your device will boot up as a black screen....no bricking worries or anything...it's a good spot to start with the developing of your android device....I personally love it because it is something that is an instant change and noticeable, whereas some of the other behind the scenes stuff, kernels and whatnot, sometimes the changes with those aren't as noticeable. *shrug*

anyways. i have 3 different excerpts from the movie...so i can possibly make 3 different animations...it will probably take me a while...i do not have much free time, but i am dedicated.
27th January 2012, 08:54 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
i'm having a hard time figuring out how to split this mp4 into image files.....converting it to a gif and then to png images is not a good way to do so...so if anyone has any input on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.
27th January 2012, 09:00 PM |#6  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Super
I believe Super Media File Converter will do what you want (the /Super directory under erightsoft . com), but I'm not positive (I'm not at my pc right now).
The Following User Says Thank You to aldenb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aldenb Ad-Free
27th January 2012, 09:02 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
i will try this when i get home

EDIT: i found this link from a friend over on SDX... so if any of you are interested in making your own boot animation...here you go

how to make your own boot animation SDX
28th January 2012, 04:47 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
If you have Photoshop, you can open the GIF, go to files -> scripts -> export layers to files, and select PNG. It will export each frame of the gif as a separate PNG file and use any naming scheme you choose.

Similarly, VirtualDub has the option to export a sequence of images from a video file. You can then batch resize them in Photoshop.

That said, I haven't had any luck at all getting my custom boot animation to work though, I just wanted to test to see if I could make one and it displays a blank screen every time, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.10 MB, 19 views)
28th January 2012, 04:59 AM |#9  
Flag Bendigo
Thanks Meter: 486

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brezhnevv

If you have Photoshop, you can open the GIF, go to files -> scripts -> export layers to files, and select PNG. It will export each frame of the gif as a separate PNG file and use any naming scheme you choose.

Similarly, VirtualDub has the option to export a sequence of images from a video file. You can then batch resize them in Photoshop.

That said, I haven't had any luck at all getting my custom boot animation to work though, I just wanted to test to see if I could make one and it displays a blank screen every time, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Or after effects.
28th January 2012, 05:50 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brezhnevv

i don't have photoshop and i ended up finding a movie to jpg conversion software which works wonders

Quote:

ok my first boot animation i built i kept having the same problem....what option are you compressing it at?....you should not be compressing it at all and using the "Store" option....it's easiest to do so in WinRar

that and your desc.txt file is not edited properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookdevs.com

The contents of desc.txt for the NookColor are explained as follows:

600 1024 30
p 1 0 part0
p 0 1 part1

Line 1 contains the x and y dimensions of the bootanimation, and the requested frames-per-second. The dimensions assume the phone is in Portrait mode.

Line 2 says "We're going to have a bootanimation part here, it will be executed one time, after this part finishes we will pause for zero seconds.

Line 3 says "We're going to have another part here, it will be executed forever, until android boots, and each time you go through it, you will pause at the end for one second.

The part0 and part1 at the end of the line are required. The part numbers must count up from 0.

You can add a part2 if your needs are more complex. Each line is structured:

p space (number of times to loop, 0 means forever) space (seconds to pause between loops) partname

partnames must start at part0 and count up to part9 (max)

Pause seconds can not exceed 9. Loop counts can not exceed 9. (one digit.)

so you are going to want to have it say

600 1024 24
p 0 1 part0

instead of

600 1024 24
p 0 0 part0

so try this one i attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.10 MB, 23 views)
28th January 2012, 06:51 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Long Beach

More
DONE!
got the animation for the new movie done...see post #2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)